-   -   OT: emacs + psgml + console = NFG (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/468906-ot-emacs-psgml-console-nfg.html)

"Eric d'Alibut" 12-24-2010 06:01 AM

OT: emacs + psgml + console = NFG

I need to maintain some docbook-website sites on remote hosts to which
I have only console access via ssh (no X).

But even on local hosts, running emacs in the console (with '-nw')
gives bad results with psgml. I can get to the 'Markup' menu via the
keyboard, but if I try to insert an xml element, the process bombs
with:

"sgml-element-menu must be bound to an event with parameters"

Is this a bug in psgml? In emacs? (Heaven forfend there could be a bug
in emacs! Arrwk!)

Any help or high caliber abuse gratefully considered.

Best,

--
No no no, my fish's name is Eric, Eric the fish. He's an halibut. I am
not a looney! Why should I be tarred with the epithet looney merely

Alberto Luaces 12-24-2010 08:19 AM

OT: emacs + psgml + console = NFG

"Eric d'Alibut" writes:

> I need to maintain some docbook-website sites on remote hosts to which
> I have only console access via ssh (no X).
>
> But even on local hosts, running emacs in the console (with '-nw')
> gives bad results with psgml. I can get to the 'Markup' menu via the
> keyboard, but if I try to insert an xml element, the process bombs
> with:
>
> "sgml-element-menu must be bound to an event with parameters"
>
> Is this a bug in psgml? In emacs? (Heaven forfend there could be a bug
> in emacs! Arrwk!)
>
> Any help or high caliber abuse gratefully considered.

So it works well with X?

What happens if you try to use that command not using the menu but
directly, that is, using its key binding or M-x?

If you don't know how it is called the function for the command in the
menu, open emacs in a X session, C-h k and then click the function in
the menu.

--
Alberto

"Eric d'Alibut" 12-30-2010 04:06 AM

OT: emacs + psgml + console = NFG

On 12/24/10, Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> wrote:

>> "sgml-element-menu must be bound to an event with parameters"

> So it works well with X?

Yes, in the console, using keystrokes found here:

http://www.lysator.liu.se/~lenst/about_psgml/psgml.html#Edit

> What happens if you try to use that command not using the menu but
> directly, that is, using its key binding or M-x?

The commands found in the above document all seem to work. Even this
works, from the above-referenced document:

C-c C-u C-m
Give keyboard access to the customized part of the Markup menu.
Emacs will prompt for the markup to insert using the menu line as
selector.

It's just that going through the *emacs* keystrokes does not!

Thank you for responding. This episode has made me aware of the psgml
documented keystrokes, so I am now in clover, happily editing xml from
thousands of miles away!

Best,