Old 12-23-2010, 09:57 PM
Lisi

Default Any kmail filtering advice?

On Thursday 23 December 2010 21:48:26 Steve McCarthy wrote:
> Has anyone else found a way to defer junk (not SPAM) mail in kmail?

It can use Spamassassin. (It can integrate it.) But I don't understand the
distinction between Spam and Junk.

To which version of KMail are we referring? Or which version of Debian?

Lisi

Old 12-23-2010, 10:03 PM
Lisi

On Thursday 23 December 2010 21:48:26 Steve McCarthy wrote:
> My GF's disk died and it seemed a perfect time to introduce her to
> linux/gnu and kde as a msft substitute. I was sadly mistaken.
>
> I chose kmail as a substitute for her thunderbird for several reasons. My
> problem now is duplicating one of thunderbird/ice owl’s features: junk
> mail control.

Immediate second thoughts:
If she is happy with it why not just leave her with Ice-Dove? I use KMail
myself, but have set up IceDove for my husband. (Both on Lenny.)

Lisi

Old 12-24-2010, 02:13 AM
Steve McCarthy

On Thursday 23 Dec 2010, Lisi wrote:
> On Thursday 23 December 2010 21:48:26 Steve McCarthy wrote:
> > Has anyone else found a way to defer junk (not SPAM) mail in kmail?
>
> It can use Spamassassin. (It can integrate it.) But I don't
> understand the distinction between Spam and Junk.
>
> To which version of KMail are we referring? Or which version of
> Debian?
>
> Lisi

Sorry I wasn't clearer. I believe the distinction is: SPAM is unsolicited
whereas junk is solicited but unwanted at the present time. Stores you
patronize or causes you support will all send you email which you may or
may not want to read right now. Just like junk snail mail, usually its
tossed unopened, but occasionally you're interested (or bored) enough to
read it.

Ice Owl labels any mail not coming for a "friend" as junk and moves it out
of your in-box. I think friends are defined as being in your address book,
but not entirely sure.

As to your second question "Why move her?" kmail is better integrated
with kde, for whatever that's worth. Plus, Ice owl uses a database rather
than maildirs for storage. Any new message means all stored messages are
backed up nightly.. There may be a solution to this, but it wasn't
obvious to me.

So, since kmail's address book filter appears broken, I'm searching for
another approach.

Thanks,
steve

Old 12-24-2010, 08:56 AM
Chris Davies

Steve McCarthy <newsdebian@jetcity.org> wrote:
> Sorry I wasn't clearer. I believe the distinction is: SPAM is unsolicited
> whereas junk is solicited but unwanted at the present time. Stores you
> patronize or causes you support will all send you email which you may or
> may not want to read right now. Just like junk snail mail, usually its
> tossed unopened, but occasionally you're interested (or bored) enough to
> read it.

Thunderbird doesn't make this distinction. Junk is spam and spam is junk.

Perhaps your (or your girlfriend's) terminology is at odds with the
people who created Thunderbird, KMail, etc.

It is quite possible to have this kind of split (in fact, it's a
simplification of what I use myself):

- Get rid of Spam (junk) into the Spam/Junk folder
- Keep emails from known shops and other mailing lists out of the Inbox
- Keep friends' emails in Inbox
- Keep unknown but probably not Spam (junk) email in the Inbox

To do this is straightforward if somewhat fiddly.

- Enable junk/spam processing (I assume KMail can do this)
- Create a filter for each of the known shops and mailing lists

Chris

Old 12-27-2010, 11:29 AM
Camaleón

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 19:13:21 -0800, Steve McCarthy wrote:

> On Thursday 23 Dec 2010, Lisi wrote:
>> On Thursday 23 December 2010 21:48:26 Steve McCarthy wrote:
>> > Has anyone else found a way to defer junk (not SPAM) mail in kmail?
>>
>> It can use Spamassassin. (It can integrate it.) But I don't
>> understand the distinction between Spam and Junk.
>>
>> To which version of KMail are we referring? Or which version of
>> Debian?
>>

> Sorry I wasn't clearer. I believe the distinction is: SPAM is
> unsolicited whereas junk is solicited but unwanted at the present time.
> Stores you patronize or causes you support will all send you email which
> you may or may not want to read right now. Just like junk snail mail,
> usually its tossed unopened, but occasionally you're interested (or
> bored) enough to read it.
>
> Ice Owl labels any mail not coming for a "friend" as junk and moves it
> out of your in-box. I think friends are defined as being in your
> address book, but not entirely sure.

Hum... maybe you are looking for a way of telling Kmail that e-mails
coming from selected users (in address book or by manually selection) is
"ham" (and never tagged as spam, kinda whitelisting in SA parlance).

This should be easy to achieve by using anti-spam measures (SA,
bogofilter) along with filtering actions (rules).

Here there are some tips:

http://maketecheasier.com/how-to-create-email-filters-with-kmail/2010/01/11
http://userbase.kde.org/KMail/Tools#Anti-Spam_Tools

> As to your second question "Why move her?" kmail is better integrated
> with kde, for whatever that's worth. Plus, Ice owl uses a database
> rather than maildirs for storage. Any new message means all stored
> messages are backed up nightly.. There may be a solution to this, but
> it wasn't obvious to me.

Agree :-)

But I hope your girlfriend does not care about HTML e-mails and advanced
formatting options >:-)

> So, since kmail's address book filter appears broken, I'm searching for
> another approach.

Kmail anti-spam and filtering tools used to be very powerful and
flexible, maybe you need to dig a bit more about how to get the same
behaviour here than in Thunderbird.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 12-28-2010, 02:18 AM
Steve McCarthy

On Friday 24 Dec 2010, Chris Davies wrote:
> To do this is straightforward if somewhat fiddly.
>
> - Enable junk/spam processing (I assume KMail can do this)
> - Create a filter for each of the known shops and mailing lists

Yes, I think this is essentially the Thunderbird approach. Each
acceptable address must be captured somewhere for future comparison. If
not the address book, the filter chain will do the trick. Thanks.

steve

Old 12-28-2010, 06:14 AM
Steve McCarthy

On Monday 27 Dec 2010, Camaleón wrote:
> Hum... maybe you are looking for a way of telling Kmail that e-mails
> coming from selected users (in address book or by manually selection)
> is "ham" (and never tagged as spam, kinda whitelisting in SA
> parlance).
>
> This should be easy to achieve by using anti-spam measures (SA,
> bogofilter) along with filtering actions (rules).
>
> Here there are some tips:
>
> http://maketecheasier.com/how-to-create-email-filters-with-kmail/2010/0
> 1/11 http://userbase.kde.org/KMail/Tools#Anti-Spam_Tools

Thanks for an interesting idea. I'll explore existing SPAM methods
further. I admit I've never looked under the hood of SA.

steve