Old 12-23-2010, 03:43 PM
Gilbert Sullivan

Default Dell E6410, squeeze, touchpad anddddd keyboard problems

On 12/23/2010 09:46 AM, Johann Spies wrote:

Thanks Gilbert. That has disabled the touchpad. Now let us hope the other
keyboard-problems will come to an end. Immediately as I type this, it feels
if the keyboard reaction is faster and so far I did not miss a character.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

My main problem with touchpads is that the tap-to-click function is
enabled by default. This is probably the silliest device default I've
ever seen because it causes so much trouble. It's a duplicate function
since you already have buttons for doing the clicking. Not having a
driver means no way to adjust sensitivity and the stupid device keeps
sabotaging you as you try to work.

The nasty little combination Alps touchpad / touchstick on my M70 would
cause the cursor to jump while I was typing. I didn't even actually have
to touch the pad or stick. Sometimes just getting near one or the other
of them would cause the cursor to move.

I have an expensive KVM in one of my server racks that has exactly the
same problem. I wind up using an auxiliary keyboard and mouse on that
rack. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. And the manufacturer (TrippLite, are you
listening?) provides no way to turn of tap-to-click.

I don't remember having a problem with repeating characters, but I
wouldn't doubt that the touchpad on your system may have had something
to do with what you were seeing.

I hope it works out for you.

Regards
Johann