Old 12-23-2010, 12:44 PM
Johann Spies

Default Dell E6410, squeeze, touchpad anddddd keyboard problems

Apologies for the long post but it is along and sad story

I have enough ram (8Gb) on this laptop.

Maybe all the problems are related to my inabillity to disable the touchpad.
On this
syeX1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111 11111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111 11111
(I pushed Cntl-C otherwise it would have been a few lines of these)

sorry, that was meant to be 'system X11 functions without
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.'

As you can see in the above line sometimes the keyboard misses a pressed
key ('sye' - must have been 'system') and sometimes it repeats keys. Other
times, like when I work in Emacs with more than one buffer in split windows,
the cursor jumps to another frame and the typing continues in another
buffer.

On my previous laptop (Thinkpad R61e) I could use the following to disable
the touchpad:

/usr/bin/synclient "TouchpadOff=
`/usr/bin/synclient -l | sed -ne
's/(TouchpadOff *= *)([01])/2/p' | sed -e 'y/01/10/'`"

Now when I try this I get 'Couldn't find synaptics properties. No synaptics
driver loaded?'

I have created a /etc/X11/xorg.conf with the following contents:

Section "InputClass"

Identifier "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"

Option "LeftEdge" "1700"
Option "RightEdge" "5700"
Option "TopEdge" "1700"
Option "BottomEdge" "5100"
Option "FingerLow" "25"
Option "FingerHigh" "30"
Option "MaxTapTime" "180"
Option "MaxTapMove" "220"
Option "VertScrollDelta" "100"
Option "MinSpeed" "0.09"
Option "MaxSpeed" "0.6"
Option "HorizEdgeScroll" "true"
Option "TapButton1" "1"
Option "SHMConfig" "true"
EndSection

in the hope that it will load the synaptics driver, but that did not make
any difference.

Then I installed touchfreeze but that did not solve my problems.

Any idea how to solve this mess?

Regards.

Johann
--
Johann Spies Telefoon: 021-808 4699
Databestuurder / Data manager

Sentrum vir Navorsing oor Evaluasie, Wetenskap en Tegnologie
Centre for Research on Evaluation, Science and Technology
Universiteit Stellenbosch.

"And there were in the same country shepherds abiding
in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.
And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the
glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were
sore afraid. And the angel said unto them, Fear not:
for behold I bring you good tidings of great joy, which
shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day
in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the
Lord." Luke 2:8-11

Old 12-23-2010, 12:54 PM
Gilbert Sullivan

Apologies for the long post but it is along and sad story

I have been made sad by a Dell laptop or two. ;-)

[...]

I had the same sort of issue with a Dell Precision M70 laptop. The
answer was to change the touchpad setting in the BIOS setup program. The
wording on this one (which is actually a Lat. D810 or somesuch
motherboard / BIOS) I had to look at the boot behavior of the touchpad.
The choices weren't exactly what I would have expected. They were along
the lines of:

1. touchpad enabled
2. touchpad disabled when PS/2 mouse is connected
3. serial mouse

The one that succeeded in disabling the touchpad was the serial mouse
setting.

If you have a similar option for turning off the touchpad in your BIOS I
strongly suggest that you use it. That way, you won't have to use an
xorg.conf file and the OS doesn't have to deal with the little bugger at
all.

Regards.

Johann

I hope that helps.

Gilbert

Archive: 4D13549C.4090302@comcast.net">http://lists.debian.org/4D13549C.4090302@comcast.net

Old 12-23-2010, 01:46 PM
Johann Spies

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 03:54:36PM +0200, Gilbert Sullivan wrote:
> I had the same sort of issue with a Dell Precision M70 laptop. The
> answer was to change the touchpad setting in the BIOS setup program. The
> wording on this one (which is actually a Lat. D810 or somesuch
> motherboard / BIOS) I had to look at the boot behavior of the touchpad.
> The choices weren't exactly what I would have expected. They were along
> the lines of:
>
> 1. touchpad enabled
> 2. touchpad disabled when PS/2 mouse is connected
> 3. serial mouse
>
> The one that succeeded in disabling the touchpad was the serial mouse
> setting.

Thanks Gilbert. That has disabled the touchpad. Now let us hope the other
keyboard-problems will come to an end. Immediately as I type this, it feels
if the keyboard reaction is faster and so far I did not miss a character.

Regards
Johann