-   -   Nautilus and/or ext4 killed three folders! (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/468510-nautilus-ext4-killed-three-folders.html)

Borden Rhodes 12-22-2010 09:20 PM

Nautilus and/or ext4 killed three folders!

I'm not quite sure how to debug or report this one which is why I'm
mentioning it here. I was moving to a new hard drive and copying
/home/ files from my old hard drive to my new one. I opened Nautilus
and was dragging and dropping folders to my new hard drive when I
selected three such folders and mid-dragging, they disappeared! After
a few searches, there is definitely no trace of them whatsoever either
on my old drive or my new drive. I downloaded and ran extundelete on
my old drive which didn't find anything even with the --recover-all
switch. It seems that the dragging process destroyed all trace of the
files.

Luckily, I had those folders on a backup and firearms are regulated in
Canada. However, I'm assuming that destroying folders isn't part of
the design of Linux so I'd like to file a bug but I don't know what
evidence to collect. Can someone help?

With thanks,

Borden

Arthur Machlas 12-23-2010 03:12 PM

Nautilus and/or ext4 killed three folders!

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 10:12 AM, Arthur Machlas
<arthur.machlas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 4:20 PM, Borden Rhodes <jrvp@bordenrhodes.com> wrote:
>> I'm not quite sure how to debug or report this one which is why I'm
>> mentioning it here. *I was moving to a new hard drive and copying
>> /home/ files from my old hard drive to my new one. *I opened Nautilus
>> and was dragging and dropping folders to my new hard drive when I
>> selected three such folders and mid-dragging, they disappeared! *After
>> a few searches, there is definitely no trace of them whatsoever either
>> on my old drive or my new drive.
>
> What was the name of one of the folders that dissapeared? What
> searches did you execute?

Bah, sorry for the direct reply Borden.

Borden Rhodes 12-24-2010 05:03 PM

Nautilus and/or ext4 killed three folders!

Well, I owe everyone a big apology. After searching unsuccessfully
with Nautilus, I took Arthur's suggestion and whipped out a terminal
and figured out how to use find's options. It turns out that the
folders had been dropped into one of the dot-folders (where, I guess,
Nautilus doesn't poke about). Files saved. Much obliged. Merry
Christmas to those who are celebrating!