Old 12-22-2010, 08:46 PM
Arthur Machlas

Default Network-manager applet with multiple users

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 1:55 PM, Arthur Machlas
<arthur.machlas@gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems that whomever logs in first on the gnome-desktop, user1,
> user2 or user3 has exclusive control of network manager, even though
> I'd like all three to be able to control it.
>
> Is there a workaround for this?

Just to respond to my own thread about this, I'm not married to using
network-manager, though I like the application. It occurs to me that
wpa_supplicant in roaming mode with wpa_gui as the interface might be
an option as "workaround", and so might wicd, though I've no
experience with wicd myself so that's just a guess. Opions, thoughts,
links etal all most welcome.

best,
AM

Old 12-23-2010, 07:46 AM
Klistvud

It seems that whomever logs in first on the gnome-desktop, user1,
user2 or user3 has exclusive control of network manager, even though
I'd like all three to be able to control it.

This must be on Squeeze, right? Because on my Lenny systems, all users
have control.

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com
me.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:10 PM
Arthur Machlas

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 2:46 AM, Klistvud <quotations@aliceadsl.fr> wrote:
> Dne, 22. 12. 2010 20:55:14 je Arthur Machlas napisal(a):
>>
>> It seems that whomever logs in first on the gnome-desktop, user1,
>> user2 or user3 has exclusive control of network manager, even though
>> I'd like all three to be able to control it.
>
> This must be on Squeeze, right? Because on my Lenny systems, all users have
> control.

Well, it's actually SID, and when it was squeeze I didn't have
multiple users configured, so I can't be certain about that. I don't
think it's a bug, because I'm fairly certain there's been some nm-dev
discussions about how to implement this. Which is why I am surprised
to hear that this is how it currently works for you on Lenny.

So, just to be clear, if you log in to your gnome desktop as user 1,
then switch users, not logging out the first one, user2 has the
nm-applet in their panel and can change networks, and when you switch
back to user 1, they still have the applet and are now connected to
the new network?

Old 12-23-2010, 06:42 PM
Klistvud

So, just to be clear, if you log in to your gnome desktop as user 1,
then switch users, not logging out the first one, user2 has the
nm-applet in their panel and can change networks, and when you switch
back to user 1, they still have the applet and are now connected to
the new network?

Yes. At least with unprotected networks. I have no possibility to test
it with WEP/WPA encryption though.