Old 12-22-2010, 07:47 PM
Sjoerd Hiemstra

Default dumb question about gnash youtube-dl and watching youtube videos...

Op Wed, 22 Dec 2010 19:51:08 +0000, Michael Fothergill wrote:
> I tried getting flashplayer-nonfree to work with youtube but it didn't
> quite succeed.

Flashplayer-nonfree 9 is known to have some glitches, but 10.2 beta,
downloadable from http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html
appears to work well.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:00 PM
Celejar

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 19:51:08 +0000
Michael Fothergill <michael.fothergill@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Dear Debian folks,
>
> I tried getting flashplayer-nonfree to work with youtube but it didn't
> quite succeed. So I then read some web pages that said gnash could
> read swf files and so you in theory download a youtube video and then
> watch it using gnash.....

As per another message in this thread, you absolutely don't need gnash
to watch a movie you've downloaded from YouTube; ordinary media players
will work fine. All the movies I've downloaded from YouTube have been
either .flv or .mp4 files, both of which can be played by Mplayer, for
example. YMMV depending on your specific movie player, but I wouldn't
bother with gnash.

> I found youtube-dl but then noticed it wasn't installed on Lenny (at
> least man youtube-dl doesn't result in anything) and it didn't seem
> to be in the synaptic list..... Is it a new package that is a
> squeeze addition? There does seem to be squeeze deb package for it
> in the debian repository web pages.......

There are other programs that can download YouTube videos: clive and
cclive (both in Debian), plus various FF / IW plugins (DownloadHelper
[not in Debian] is a famous and popular one).

Celejar

Old 12-22-2010, 08:32 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 21:47:38 +0100, Sjoerd Hiemstra wrote:

> Op Wed, 22 Dec 2010 19:51:08 +0000, Michael Fothergill wrote:
>> I tried getting flashplayer-nonfree to work with youtube but it didn't
>> quite succeed.
>
> Flashplayer-nonfree 9 is known to have some glitches, but 10.2 beta,
> downloadable from http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html
> appears to work well.

Yes, and having a working flash player is almost "a must" in these days,
although it is not required for watching plain videos it can be needed
for properly displaying web interface applications and animations.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 12-23-2010, 01:40 AM
Pablo

clive for lenny was giving me some strange problems.

Try installing clive from backports. That works fine.

http://backports.debian.org/Instructions/

I normally use clive to download the youtube url as a .flv and
then recode it with ffmpeg.