Old 12-22-2010, 06:51 PM
Michael Fothergill

Default dumb question about gnash youtube-dl and watching youtube videos...

Dear Debian folks,

I tried getting flashplayer-nonfree to work with youtube but it didn't
quite succeed. So I then read some web pages that said gnash could
read swf files and so you in theory download a youtube video and then
watch it using gnash.....

I found youtube-dl but then noticed it wasn't installed on Lenny (at
least man youtube-dl doesn't result in anything) and it didn't seem
to be in the synaptic list..... Is it a new package that is a
squeeze addition? There does seem to be squeeze deb package for it
in the debian repository web pages.......

I have installed gnash and gstreamer. I wanted to watch Jeremy Paxman
interviewing Christopher Hitchens who has recently contracted
oesphageal cancer.

Doing something like this:

gnash -u http://example.domain.com/flashfile.swf or flashfile.flv etc

would be good but you need to figure out how to get a software
trufflehound to sniff at this sort of URL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwDYbNIHyN0 (or something similar) and
then find the .flv or .swf truffle that I am interested in pointing
gnash at.

Looks like youtube-dl would do this.

youtube-dl "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foobar" or youtube-dl
"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwDYbNIHyN0" in my case.

If this would work I could avoid this non-free messing about and would
be quite contented.

Suggestions welcome

Michael Fothergill

Old 12-22-2010, 07:28 PM