Old 02-04-2008, 12:32 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

Default Sylpheed bad filename encoding (Was: What am I missing without mutt?)

On 04/02/2008, Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Sounds great, but the only thing that really makes me interested is
> > the full keyboard control, as none of the other features I need. I'll
> > start looking for Tbird extensions that might help, or I'll learn to
> > write my own. I'm glad I asked, though. Thanks.
>
> I'm a Sylpheed fan, and not a particularly expert one, and I control it
> almost exclusively via keyboard. You can bind custom key combos to
> functions using the standard GTK method.

I just installed Sylpheed as I need good keyboard control. However,
when I start it I get this message:

The locale encoding is not UTF-8, but the environmental variable
G_FILENAME_ENCODING is not set.
If the locale encoding is used for file name or directory name, it
will not work correctly.
In that case, you must set the following environmental variable (see
README for detail):
G_FILENAME_ENCODING=@locale

However, I insist that I have a UTF-8 locale:

feisty@feisty-laptop:~$ locale
LANG=he_IL.utf8
LANGUAGE=he_IL:he:en_GB:en
LC_CTYPE="he_IL.utf8"
LC_NUMERIC="he_IL.utf8"
LC_TIME="he_IL.utf8"
LC_COLLATE="he_IL.utf8"
LC_MONETARY="he_IL.utf8"
LC_MESSAGES="he_IL.utf8"
LC_PAPER="he_IL.utf8"
LC_NAME="he_IL.utf8"
LC_ADDRESS="he_IL.utf8"
LC_TELEPHONE="he_IL.utf8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="he_IL.utf8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="he_IL.utf8"
LC_ALL=he_IL.utf8
feisty@feisty-laptop:~$

So, what can I do to convince Sylpheed that I'm on a UTF-8 locale?
Note that although this machine has Gnome, I've only ever opened KDE.
So something in Gnome may not be set correctly. If so, please let me
know what the command for starting it is in the CLI, as because of a
stupid ATI driver I cannot open Gnome at all!

Thanks!

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il