Old 12-22-2010, 01:46 PM
Russell Gadd

Default Reportbug failure

I'm trying to report a bug in gedit and ran reportbug, opting for the
gtk interface. I looked at existing bug reports and none seemed
relevant so I proceeded to create one. After inputting the bug title
and selecting the severity rating (normal) the application quits. When
I look for the report it doesn't exist, so I presume it didn't file a
report. In any case I'd have expected a few more questions would have
been necessary.

I saw this message in Dmesg:
reportbug[11151] trap divide error ip:7f8355eedcf0 sp:7f834e960f60
error:0 in libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.2000.1[7f8355dc1000+415000]

Also when first installing and setting up, after its first use,
invoked from the command line, after it quit the following was
reported on the command line:

Default preferences file written. To reconfigure, re-run reportbug with the "--
configure" option.
**
Gdk:ERROR:/scratch/build-area/gtk+2.0-2.20.1/gdk/gdkregion-generic.c:1108:miUnionNonO:
assertion failed: (y1 < y2)
**
Gdk:ERROR:/scratch/build-area/gtk+2.0-2.20.1/gdk/gdkregion-generic.c:1108:miUnionNonO:
assertion failed: (y1 < y2)
Aborted

Trying to run it from the gui menus the app fails as above, but I then
tried it by invoking it from the command line, which appeared to
complete (as far as I know but I haven't used this system before).
However searching for the bug in the bug report tracking system I
couldn't find it (searched for gedit bugs with the word tab in as my
title was "fails to use tab preference when loading file" )

I then tried to run it again from the command line and got a lot of
errors. Each time I run it I get different errors, too numerous to
report.

Please advise on what to do next.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:16 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 14:46:16 +0000, Russell Gadd wrote:

> I'm trying to report a bug in gedit and ran reportbug, opting for the
> gtk interface. I looked at existing bug reports and none seemed relevant
> so I proceeded to create one. After inputting the bug title and
> selecting the severity rating (normal) the application quits. When I
> look for the report it doesn't exist, so I presume it didn't file a
> report. In any case I'd have expected a few more questions would have
> been necessary.

Remember that you can always create a bug report manually. It's not as
user-friendly as reportbug but at least is a rock-solid method :-}

Note that you will receive an e-mail notification from BTS as soon as
your bug report is created successfully.

> I saw this message in Dmesg:
> reportbug[11151] trap divide error ip:7f8355eedcf0 sp:7f834e960f60
> error:0 in libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.2000.1[7f8355dc1000+415000]

Maybe this :-?

(...)

> I then tried to run it again from the command line and got a lot of
> errors. Each time I run it I get different errors, too numerous to
> report.
>
> Please advise on what to do next.

Errors are pointing to GTK, so I would try to run reportbug from a new
user and with an stock GNOME theme, just in case.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón