Old 12-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Nima Azarbayjany

Default Debian Squeeze and encrypted LVM

Hi all,

Today I installed Debian Squeeze on an entirely encrypted LVM partition as proposed by the Installer (beta2).* After several hours of initializing my disk it finally installed and when I booted into the new system I saw an unrecognized partition entry in my Places menu, Computer, and the Gnome Disk Utility which refers to /dev/dm-0 which cannot be mounted and has the same size as my hard drive.* Can anyone please tell me what is this weird thing and how to get rid of it?* I found a bug report which seems to describe exactly the same issue but no workarounds and explanations: http://osdir.com/ml/debian-bugs-dist/2010-12/msg04429.html.

Thanks.

Nima :-)

Old 12-22-2010, 01:16 PM
Slicky Johnson

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 16:26:07 +0330
Nima Azarbayjany <i.adore.debian@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Today I installed Debian Squeeze on an entirely encrypted LVM
> partition as proposed by the Installer (beta2). After several hours
> of initializing my disk it finally installed and when I booted into
> the new system I saw an unrecognized partition entry in my Places
> menu, Computer, and the Gnome Disk Utility which refers to /dev/dm-0
> which cannot be mounted and has the same size as my hard drive. Can
> anyone please tell me what is this weird thing and how to get rid of
> it? I found a bug report which seems to describe exactly the same
> issue but no workarounds and explanations:
> http://osdir.com/ml/debian-bugs-dist/2010-12/msg04429.html.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Nima :-)

Same here. I've just learned to forget about it. I suppose it will be
sorted out soon enough.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:23 PM
Jochen Schulz

Nima Azarbayjany:

> Today I installed Debian Squeeze on an entirely encrypted LVM partition as
> proposed by the Installer (beta2). After several hours of initializing my
> disk it finally installed and when I booted into the new system I saw an
> unrecognized partition entry in my Places menu, Computer, and the Gnome Disk
> Utility which refers to /dev/dm-0

It's probably the physical volume for LVM. Don't mess with it, it
contains the data on your hard drive. Regarding Gnome showing you the
device: I'd call that an upstream usability bug.

J.
--
If I was Mark Chapman I would have shot John Lennon with a water pistol.
[Agree] [Disagree]