Old 12-21-2010, 11:32 PM
Dan Serban

Default Multiple xorg instances.

Hello,

I once ran multiple X server instances in the past, the details of how
I got it running elude my memory. Though I do remember that I had to
login whenever I went to the second virtual terminal (vt8).

I don't want to do this, what I want to do is run a script which starts
X on the next available VT, with a user other than root, and a
different X configuration file.

In my case, I have three screens running as a single desktop, what I'd
like to do is fire up quake via a command and fire it up on VT8 so that
I may default to the center screen. My virtual desktop runs at
6144x1152, making it extra difficult and annoying to run a windowed
game.

While admittedly I have not actually tried any of my options right
now, I want to clarify what the "best" way to do this is. I've run into
recommendations to use startx, xinit, modify my *dm to handle it,
though these suggestions don't seem to handle my need to run these
sessions as a non-root user and with a different xorg.conf file.

Does anyone have experience doing this, and more importantly, what's
the most efficient "debian" way I can approach this problem?

TIA

Old 12-22-2010, 01:39 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 16:32:32 -0800, Dan Serban wrote:

> I once ran multiple X server instances in the past, the details of how I
> got it running elude my memory. Though I do remember that I had to
> login whenever I went to the second virtual terminal (vt8).
>
> I don't want to do this, what I want to do is run a script which starts
> X on the next available VT, with a user other than root, and a different
> X configuration file.

This shouldn't be very hard to achieve:

# Get the next VT available
stt008:~# fgconsole --next-available
8

# Start a new X session if the above VT:
startx -- :1 vt8 # or "gksu startx -- :1 vt8"

# Use a different xorg.conf file or apply specific options for the new
# session
man startx

:-)

Well, nothing of this is going to work out-of-the-box, of course, but it
could be a start point.

> In my case, I have three screens running as a single desktop, what I'd
> like to do is fire up quake via a command and fire it up on VT8 so that
> I may default to the center screen. My virtual desktop runs at
> 6144x1152, making it extra difficult and annoying to run a windowed
> game.

(...)

Maybe there is a simpler way to tell the game/application to be opened at
the desired location :-?

***
Sticky windows
http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/wm-spec-latest.html#id2505544
***

For example, some applications (like "gnome-terminal") can make use of "--
geometry" property and thus can be placed in concrete x,y coordinates on
the screen.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón