FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-04-2008, 10:56 AM
Zach
 
Default gibberish in log file?

I am setting up a new PPP connection (dialup) and when I run pon I'm
seeing some very strange things in my /var/log/messages
(set it up with pppconfig like I normally do, never had any problems)

There are lots of weird characters, I used this machine 2 days ago
(when old ISP was working) and didn't see any of this garbage in the
logfile. I even ran my old pon (for the old isp that I don't use
anymore) just now and it showed these weird characters as well.

This is totally baffling to me, I've never encountered this before and
I did not do ANYTHING to my system in the past 2 days! I didn't
install or remove any packages, didn't do any upgrades, didn't touch
any config files. We lost power on Friday briefly and the system was
hard booted but I used it the next day (Sat.) and didn't see any of
these weird characters in the log.

Anyone have a clue what is going on and how I can fix it?

I'm using Debian lenny with 2.6.18 kernel and I have my locale set to UTF8.

Here is a snippet from /var/log/messages:

Feb 4 06:16:13 netrek pppd[3252]: pppd options in effect:
Feb 4 06:16:13 netrek pppd[3252]: debug debug^I^I# (from command line)
Feb 4 06:16:13 netrek pppd[3252]: updetach^I^I# (from command line)
Feb 4 06:16:13 netrek pppd[3252]: dump^I^I# (from command line)
Feb 4 06:16:13 netrek pppd[3252]: noauth^I^I# (from /etc/ppp/peers/sysim)
Feb 4 06:16:13 netrek pppd[3252]: user tb04000@sysim.net^I^I# (from
/etc/ppp/peers/sysim)
Feb 4 06:16:13 netrek pppd[3252]: remotename sysim^I^I# (from
/etc/ppp/peers/sysim)
Feb 4 06:16:13 netrek pppd[3252]: /dev/ttyS0^I^I# (from /etc/ppp/peers/sysim)
Feb 4 06:16:13 netrek pppd[3252]: 115200^I^I# (from /etc/ppp/peers/sysim)
Feb 4 06:16:13 netrek pppd[3252]: lock^I^I# (from /etc/ppp/options)
Feb 4 06:16:13 netrek pppd[3252]: connect /usr/sbin/chat -v -f
/etc/chatscripts/sysim^I^I# (from /etc/ppp/peers/sysim)
Feb 4 06:16:13 netrek pppd[3252]: crtscts^I^I# (from /etc/ppp/options)
Feb 4 06:16:13 netrek pppd[3252]: modem^I^I# (from /etc/ppp/options)
Feb 4 06:16:13 netrek pppd[3252]: asyncmap 0^I^I# (from /etc/ppp/options)
Feb 4 06:16:13 netrek pppd[3252]: lcp-echo-failure 4^I^I# (from
/etc/ppp/options)
Feb 4 06:16:13 netrek pppd[3252]: lcp-echo-interval 30^I^I# (from
/etc/ppp/options)
Feb 4 06:16:13 netrek pppd[3252]: hide-password^I^I# (from
/etc/ppp/peers/sysim)
Feb 4 06:16:13 netrek pppd[3252]: ipparam sysim^I^I# (from
/etc/ppp/peers/sysim)
Feb 4 06:16:13 netrek pppd[3252]: noipdefault^I^I# (from /etc/ppp/peers/sysim)
Feb 4 06:16:13 netrek pppd[3252]: defaultroute^I^I# (from /etc/ppp/peers/sysim)
Feb 4 06:16:13 netrek pppd[3252]: proxyarp^I^I# (from /etc/ppp/options)
Feb 4 06:16:13 netrek pppd[3252]: usepeerdns^I^I# (from /etc/ppp/peers/sysim)
Feb 4 06:16:13 netrek pppd[3252]: noipx^I^I# (from /etc/ppp/options)
Feb 4 06:16:13 netrek pppd[3252]: pppd 2.4.4 started by root, uid 0
Feb 4 06:16:14 netrek chat[3253]: abort on (BUSY)
Feb 4 06:16:14 netrek chat[3253]: abort on (NO CARRIER)
Feb 4 06:16:14 netrek chat[3253]: abort on (VOICE)
Feb 4 06:16:14 netrek chat[3253]: abort on (NO DIALTONE)
Feb 4 06:16:14 netrek chat[3253]: abort on (NO DIAL TONE)
Feb 4 06:16:14 netrek chat[3253]: abort on (NO ANSWER)
Feb 4 06:16:14 netrek chat[3253]: abort on (DELAYED)
Feb 4 06:16:14 netrek chat[3253]: send (ATZ^M)
Feb 4 06:16:14 netrek chat[3253]: expect (OK)
Feb 4 06:16:14 netrek chat[3253]:
~!E@^@L"{^@^@^AYsLQ#p(`^@^@^E^B^A^@,Q#p(^@^@^@^@)S ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@
Feb 4 06:16:14 netrek chat[3253]:
^R^A^@^@^@(^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^?v^@^C^@^A^@^D^@^@^@^A cL~~!E^@^B/0}1@^@9^F
Feb 4 06:16:14 netrek chat[3253]:
^HD^Nn3EH^M'^@P^Hf^X^SyB^@ff^^P^Y^?^?%h^@^@yj^X|SB SBr$!*}^^]~sT^_Gz$>}]U[Kt76b^=}1^P}1#7^[HoS^DgzW^Px
Feb 4 06:16:14 netrek chat[3253]:
^O`&?'hk^?yg42I<^PZMsD^C^D^M^]0^Cvl&;^M^KK7=Um5$MsC
xmD`^OG^LWKcO^^Ga^K;;O2jw1^K$^I^H^QJ^BMF{^cT
Feb 4 06:16:14 netrek chat[3253]:
^^]|9a1^YMXG^E^^hK{yl<=O*Cf^Ts^Zmf}3P^T6K/^?_Ce^YtK^U^]]^Ue4a^B[^P?^PH(ZNT1}1<^F<|'^G'j^;p%LBfy^]^L
Feb 4 06:16:14 netrek chat[3253]: 2JRmIFIOrI|k"T8I]I^D^F ^R
gt/7'R{3F<vfgH5{^Xm^B^H%-}19^C?QW&syU;;k^X/^Rb^H%Xe@^V2^G'1^u"
Feb 4 06:16:14 netrek chat[3253]:
$5>J^]z^ZjU^^fI^ZD^N9^D}]W8HvkT^L^Vr+9W^N7^@^Fw>tQZ#YV)j]F^B&^[^KJ7p=^M^Oz^MAVumE^U-L}4{^V-5;_,$^V
Feb 4 06:16:14 netrek chat[3253]:
<(Nd`~^U#jio^Xh^L^L^Gi1^Qt=h"3^TS
1Q^MZmM&tZGDk]^^H"Mp;}^l^EOcW4^?^@^H1j>
S^WR^Fytqp^ZxCfF^]pI^?^@
Feb 4 06:16:14 netrek chat[3253]:
Feb 4 06:16:14 netrek chat[3253]: (.^TO^S!^HF"2j{E?EO^Ak3^hW^^^Y:{"[
^H$Qn,HOL02]^O/-|A*DSS;X2"}38@NI^CqFN("
Feb 4 06:16:14 netrek chat[3253]:
^KF}]^^;^Wo@^?Y;{~~!E^@^B@6{@^@9^F^D^MD^Nn3EH^M'^@P^HY^ W7{b^@fX^EP^P^?^?l]^@^@G^7WP@^Eeu^M@OLk^^gD^V}1^C0^Y
Feb 4 06:16:14 netrek chat[3253]:
qT(c'Q^^#i^Zy^CG^?^@^[n<+"[O(_iv7^W^CLYw|%bPc^G
^Vv9$^HQp^C^Lp+^NT?l^_^GrY^UT5^]f{V^H^I^F^UnOnL^X}1^G^YUr
Feb 4 06:16:14 netrek chat[3253]:
Oq[>T>3Xdz^R{^_Z^O^HVr^X^LK^T^QJ^Hq^U8C8^WZW/PH>C.1Wl<_cxE^Nb^T0M$^B^I.P|@co^LsM|5g{XY<:U_vUMk
Feb 4 06:16:14 netrek chat[3253]:
?^W}^_k}]$^K{kH^C^_5^HY^]^_LN7^V^D}1^^C^]G^B?nO^G>#U4k^[V9SnP^X<.^W
p,^@#^M^C^^CGNT^V"{^YeU^^nSl8!2 '
Feb 4 06:16:14 netrek chat[3253]:
a`Ho-7.G^^u05v/+xsqCHq^V#k$.+i(n-o^E3^BD
HG^G^m^Y3^SAg/0,^K4}1yWU:.
Feb 4 06:16:14 netrek chat[3253]:
jg^]R^C&m$R^R0^N1Lr#=^?^@J|x.px&gZ7F6>R}1~*O`^O^BEae7^ U(je^QX^^T^O^_3^?!xWgU]b(}]Ro^RO^Xg^R=+X^?^@k
Feb 4 06:16:14 netrek chat[3253]:
?^H2xkb.'^@^T5^V^S2F!^YyIRw^_|6yt^Uab^E^RBAFI@OjkC DTg({#orz>C^M^X5+U^]G^@q(^^<VQjW:z%_^Qtx6hC^@|
Feb 4 06:16:14 netrek chat[3253]: @^Hn%NU^F^FOlT>'}$5-sX;UQVkE^LMo}9q7ZE-8'K
Feb 4 06:16:14 netrek chat[3253]: U^H
Feb 4 06:16:14 netrek chat[3253]: ^X^?^@9G
^B;y~+._^6~~!E@^@L#3^@^@^AYs^TQ#p(`^@^@^E^B^A^@,Q# p(^@^@^@^@)S^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@
Feb 4 06:16:14 netrek chat[3253]:
^R^A^@^@^@(^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^?v^@^C^@^A^@^D^@^@^@^A ^Ol~~!E@^@L#h^@^@^AYs_Q#p(`^@^@^E^B^A^@,Q#p(^@^@^@ ^@)S^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@
Feb 4 06:16:14 netrek chat[3253]:
Feb 4 06:16:20 netrek chat[3253]:
^R^A^@^@^@(^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^?v^@^C^@^A^@^D^@^@^@^A ^W3~~!E^@^B@^Z3@^@9^Fb^UPo
^QEH^M'^@P^H_J^V9i^@fZ}3P^P^?^??^_^@^@1^I^^HC^_@7
Feb 4 06:16:20 netrek chat[3253]:
^A}EZV<'6^Od.Y^[K^L^A(_<^A<0zWmpwO_xF|iyg0`)h^Levpd
^L}^_^UeQ8I&oFq)^_wcP>^_| 5Ut;^IZ6k^Xci}1
Feb 4 06:16:20 netrek chat[3253]:
s@`2^GbEw6_^Ot^[^[X^LY+sov^HWw%F2q^?^@^BZf^WbSa^?^N[M^Ci6^V*^@7Z$/^Y^[8HcRMub<^GE?^Y5k^MM/4h>K^LR4QEK
Feb 4 06:16:20 netrek chat[3253]:
G^[7zEB@>[u*G^G&+Yu)RJg^[^C^S>^^}^Z|mop^CG:^LZV^_#h^Z$*^Fn}1=-]I!
Feb 4 06:16:20 netrek chat[3253]:
u*rs^NzW$~W_5G^@<Ap*^?^@Bpf"^Zn1tP2Em^^Q^X6H/=^K(i7
f>^_^[v^G?Va3Ko^IK5H"?2K^Tb:m^_R9]^?E^Zw^I^Ym
Feb 4 06:16:20 netrek chat[3253]:
ZZ}]>v^^S^^Hc^V3|^My^U08ZU}]$ggXm^N&=:N^SI.gOa^_^[G^W^L^]d@^Bp:`^^@Xgy^OV2<_--}^S^E^P^O'Ju
s9^P^^+I.5
Feb 4 06:16:20 netrek chat[3253]:
k=?WF^d1:^P}2GO&E.-b9$7^RZ%*R>w}3J^@^B^OG^@~ugN^OZ9"iAF^R^Ch3Fz^I^[_^Vp_kp[^^=^Or5^PW^YbI^Y=x*Z^DF
Feb 4 06:16:20 netrek chat[3253]:
{^]D^S^Q^^j}3)^D^B9.^U&R&^RH^N;?^H_^KT^IU>pb8J9'j^Md@ ^NyMU9rJaV^^R6>^CSu3b#5^L0!^Oh^EOS^@x|kT<+pZ?^M|
Feb 4 06:16:22 netrek chat[3253]: ^M^D^C~~!E@^@L#'^@^@^AYs
Q#p(`^@^@^E^B^A^@,Q#p(^@^@^@^@)S^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@ ^@^@^@^@^@^@
Feb 4 06:16:30 netrek chat[3253]:
^R^A^@^@^@(^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^?v^@^C^@^A^@^D^@^@^@^A 'V~~!E^@^@(^A^@^@^@h^F^D^B^X^^GEH^M'^Wp^Y<#-^@^@^@^@^@^@P^B@^@M:^@^@F+~~!E^@^@(
Feb 4 06:16:32 netrek chat[3253]:
4X@^@:^F^ECD^No8EH^M'^@P^HZ^@H^[^]^@fX^EP^T^?^?+
^@^@^N'~~!E@^@L#_^@^@^AYrhQ#p(`^@^@^E^B^A^@,Q#p(^@ ^@^@^@)S^@^@^@^@^@
Feb 4 06:16:32 netrek chat[3253]: ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@
Feb 4 06:16:42 netrek chat[3253]:
^R^A^@^@^@(^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^?v^@^C^@^A^@^D^@^@^@^A y}~~!E^@^@(u@^@:^F]%D^No8EH^M'^@P^He_C^N}1^@fe;P}1^?^?Lr^@^@^G=~~!E@
Feb 4 06:16:42 netrek chat[3253]:
^@L$^[^@^@^AYr,Q#p(`^@^@^E^B^A^@,Q#p(^@^@^@^@)S^@^@^@^@^ @^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@
Feb 4 06:16:52 netrek chat[3253]:
^R^A^@^@^@(^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^?v^@^C^@^A^@^D^@^@^@^A n7~~!E@^@L$U^@^@^AYrrQ#p(`^@^@^E^B^A^@,Q#p(^@^@^@^ @)S^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@
Feb 4 06:16:52 netrek chat[3253]:
Feb 4 06:16:59 netrek chat[3253]: alarm
Feb 4 06:16:59 netrek chat[3253]: send (AT^M)
Feb 4 06:16:59 netrek chat[3253]: expect (OK)
Feb 4 06:17:03 netrek chat[3253]:
~!E^@^B/^U|@^@9^F%^]D^Nn3EH^M'^@P^Hf^X^SyB^@ff^^P^Y^?^?%h^@^@yj^X|SBSB r$!*}^^]~sT^_Gz$>}]U[Kt76b^=}1^P}
Feb 4 06:17:03 netrek chat[3253]:
1#7^[HoS^DgzW^Px^O`&?'hk^?yg42I<^PZMsD^C^D^M^]0^Cvl&;^M^KK7=Um5$MsC
xmD`^OG^LWKcO^^Ga^K;;O2jw1^K
Feb 4 06:17:03 netrek chat[3253]:
$^I^H^QJ^BMF{^cT^^]|9a1^YMXG^E^^hK{yl<=O*Cf^Ts^Zmf}3P^T6K/^?_Ce^YtK^U^]]^Ue4a^B[^P?^PH(ZNT1}1<^F<|'
Feb 4 06:17:03 netrek chat[3253]:
^G'j^;p%LBfy^]^L2JRmIFIOrI|k"T8I]I^D^F ^R
gt/7'R{3F<vfgH5{^Xm^B^H%-}19^C?QW&syU;;k^X/^Rb^H%X
Feb 4 06:17:03 netrek chat[3253]: e@^V2^G'1^u"
Feb 4 06:17:03 netrek chat[3253]:
$5>J^]z^ZjU^^fI^ZD^N9^D}]W8HvkT^L^Vr+9W^N7^@^Fw>tQZ#YV)j]F^B&^[^KJ7p=^M^Oz^MAVumE^U-L}4{^V-5;_,$^V
Feb 4 06:17:03 netrek chat[3253]:
<(Nd`~^U#jio^Xh^L^L^Gi1^Qt=h"3^TS
1Q^MZmM&tZGDk]^^H"Mp;}^l^EOcW4^?^@^H1j>
S^WR^Fytqp^ZxCfF^]pI^?^@
Feb 4 06:17:03 netrek chat[3253]:
Feb 4 06:17:03 netrek chat[3253]: (.^TO^S!^HF"2j{E?EO^Ak3^hW^^^Y:{"[
^H$Qn,HOL02]^O/-|A*DSS;X2"}38@NI^CqFN("
Feb 4 06:17:04 netrek chat[3253]:
^KF}]^^;^Wo@^?Y9Q~~!E@^@L$^G^@^@^AYr@Q#p(`^@^@^E^B^A^@, Q#p(^@^@^@^@)S^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@
Feb 4 06:17:04 netrek chat[3253]:
^R^A^@^@^@(^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^?v^@^C^@^A^@^D^@^@^@^A yK~~!E^@^B@^[)@^@9^F^__D^Nn3EH^M'^@P^HY^W7{b^@fX^EP^P^?^?l]^@^@G^7WP@^Eeu
Feb 4 06:17:04 netrek chat[3253]:
^M@OLk^^gD^V}1^C0^YqT(c'Q^^#i^Zy^CG^?^@^[n<+"[O(_iv7^W^CLYw|%bPc^G
^Vv9$^HQp^C^Lp+^NT?l^_^GrY^UT5^]f{V^H
Feb 4 06:17:04 netrek chat[3253]:
^I^F^UnOnL^X}1^G^YUrOq[>T>3Xdz^R{^_Z^O^HVr^X^LK^T^QJ^Hq^U8C8^WZW/PH>C.1Wl<_cxE^Nb^T0M$^B^I.P|@co^LsM
Feb 4 06:17:04 netrek chat[3253]:
|5g{XY<:U_vUMk?^W}^_k}]$^K{kH^C^_5^HY^]^_LN7^V^D}1^^C^]G^B?nO^G>#U4k^[V9SnP^X<.^W
p,^@#^M^C^^CGNT^V"{
Feb 4 06:17:04 netrek chat[3253]: ^YeU^^nSl8!2
'a`Ho-7.G^^u05v/+xsqCHq^V#k$.+i(n-o^E3^BD
HG^G^m^Y3^SAg/0,^K4}1yWU:.j
Feb 4 06:17:04 netrek chat[3253]:
g^]R^C&m$R^R0^N1Lr#=^?^@J|x.px&gZ7F6>R}1~*O`^O^BEae7^ U(je^QX^^T^O^_3^?!xWgU]b(}]Ro^RO^Xg^R=+X^?^@k?
Feb 4 06:17:04 netrek chat[3253]:
^H2xkb.'^@^T5^V^S2F!^YyIRw^_|6yt^Uab^E^RBAFI@OjkCD Tg({#orz>C^M^X5+U^]G^@q(^^<VQjW:z%_^Qtx6hC^@|@
Feb 4 06:17:04 netrek chat[3253]: ^Hn%NU^F^FOlT>'}$5-sX;UQVkE^LMo}9q7ZE-8'K
Feb 4 06:17:04 netrek chat[3253]: U^H
Feb 4 06:17:12 netrek chat[3253]: ^X^?^@9G
^B;y~+._^Os~~!E@^@L$F^@^@^AYr^AQ#p(`^@^@^E^B^A^@,Q #p(^@^@^@^@)S^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@
Feb 4 06:17:22 netrek chat[3253]:
^R^A^@^@^@(^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^?v^@^C^@^A^@^D^@^@^@^A ^Kw~~!E@^@L%^A^@^@^AYqFQ#p(`^@^@^E^B^A^@,Q#p(^@^@^ @^@)S^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@
Feb 4 06:17:22 netrek chat[3253]:
Feb 4 06:17:24 netrek chat[3253]:
^R^A^@^@^@(^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^?v^@^C^@^A^@^D^@^@^@^A h-~~!E^@^B@^PI@^@9^Fk~Po
^QEH^M'^@P^H_J^V9i^@fZ}3P^P^?^??^_^@^@1^I^^HC^_@7
Feb 4 06:17:24 netrek chat[3253]:
^A}EZV<'6^Od.Y^[K^L^A(_<^A<0zWmpwO_xF|iyg0`)h^Levpd
^L}^_^UeQ8I&oFq)^_wcP>^_| 5Ut;^IZ6k^Xci}1
Feb 4 06:17:24 netrek chat[3253]:
s@`2^GbEw6_^Ot^[^[X^LY+sov^HWw%F2q^?^@^BZf^WbSa^?^N[M^Ci6^V*^@7Z$/^Y^[8HcRMub<^GE?^Y5k^MM/4h>K^LR4QEK
Feb 4 06:17:24 netrek chat[3253]:
G^[7zEB@>[u*G^G&+Yu)RJg^[^C^S>^^}^Z|mop^CG:^LZV^_#h^Z$*^Fn}1=-]I!
Feb 4 06:17:24 netrek chat[3253]:
u*rs^NzW$~W_5G^@<Ap*^?^@Bpf"^Zn1tP2Em^^Q^X6H/=^K(i7
f>^_^[v^G?Va3Ko^IK5H"?2K^Tb:m^_R9]^?E^Zw^I^Ym
Feb 4 06:17:24 netrek chat[3253]:
ZZ}]>v^^S^^Hc^V3|^My^U08ZU}]$ggXm^N&=:N^SI.gOa^_^[G^W^L^]d@^Bp:`^^@Xgy^OV2<_--}^S^E^P^O'Ju
s9^P^^+I.5
Feb 4 06:17:24 netrek chat[3253]:
k=?WF^d1:^P}2GO&E.-b9$7^RZ%*R>w}3J^@^B^OG^@~ugN^OZ9"iAF^R^Ch3Fz^I^[_^Vp_kp[^^=^Or5^PW^YbI^Y=x*Z^DF
Feb 4 06:17:24 netrek chat[3253]:
{^]D^S^Q^^j}3)^D^B9.^U&R&^RH^N;?^H_^KT^IU>pb8J9'j^Md@ ^NyMU9rJaV^^R6>^CSu3b#5^L0!^Oh^EOS^@x|kT<+pZ?^M|
Feb 4 06:17:32 netrek chat[3253]:
^M^TU~~!E@^@L%C^@^@^AYq^DQ#p(`^@^@^E^B^A^@,Q#p(^@^ @^@^@)S^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@
Feb 4 06:17:42 netrek chat[3253]:
^R^A^@^@^@(^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^?v^@^C^@^A^@^D^@^@^@^A ^L^P~~!E^@^@(Ur@^@:^Fd(D^No8EH^M'^@P^He_C^N}1^@fe; P}1^?^?Lr^@^@R3~~!E@
Feb 4 06:17:42 netrek chat[3253]:
^@L%}]^@^@^AYqJQ#p(`^@^@^E^B^A^@,Q#p(^@^@^@^@)S^@^@^@^@^ @^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@
Feb 4 06:17:44 netrek chat[3253]: alarm
Feb 4 06:17:44 netrek chat[3253]: Failed
Feb 4 06:17:45 netrek pppd[3252]: Exit.

Zach


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Ron Johnson
 
Default gibberish in log file?

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 02/04/08 05:56, Zach wrote:
> I am setting up a new PPP connection (dialup) and when I run pon I'm
> seeing some very strange things in my /var/log/messages
> (set it up with pppconfig like I normally do, never had any problems)
>
> There are lots of weird characters, I used this machine 2 days ago
> (when old ISP was working) and didn't see any of this garbage in the

*VERY* important questions:

What do you mean by "old" ISP? Do you now have a "new" ISP?

> logfile. I even ran my old pon (for the old isp that I don't use
> anymore) just now and it showed these weird characters as well.
>
> This is totally baffling to me, I've never encountered this before and
> I did not do ANYTHING to my system in the past 2 days! I didn't
> install or remove any packages, didn't do any upgrades, didn't touch
> any config files. We lost power on Friday briefly and the system was
> hard booted but I used it the next day (Sat.) and didn't see any of
> these weird characters in the log.
>
> Anyone have a clue what is going on and how I can fix it?

It looks like your chat script got corrupted...

Or your ISP changed something without telling anyone, knowing/hoping
that Windows DUN would handle the changes.

> I'm using Debian lenny with 2.6.18 kernel and I have my locale set to UTF8.
>
> Here is a snippet from /var/log/messages:
>
> Feb 4 06:16:13 netrek pppd[3252]: pppd options in effect:
> Feb 4 06:16:13 netrek pppd[3252]: debug debug^I^I# (from command line)
> Feb 4 06:16:13 netrek pppd[3252]: updetach^I^I# (from command line)
> Feb 4 06:16:13 netrek pppd[3252]: dump^I^I# (from command line)
> Feb 4 06:16:13 netrek pppd[3252]: noauth^I^I# (from /etc/ppp/peers/sysim)
> Feb 4 06:16:13 netrek pppd[3252]: user tb04000@sysim.net^I^I# (from
> /etc/ppp/peers/sysim)
> Feb 4 06:16:13 netrek pppd[3252]: remotename sysim^I^I# (from
> /etc/ppp/peers/sysim)
> Feb 4 06:16:13 netrek pppd[3252]: /dev/ttyS0^I^I# (from /etc/ppp/peers/sysim)
> Feb 4 06:16:13 netrek pppd[3252]: 115200^I^I# (from /etc/ppp/peers/sysim)
> Feb 4 06:16:13 netrek pppd[3252]: lock^I^I# (from /etc/ppp/options)
> Feb 4 06:16:13 netrek pppd[3252]: connect /usr/sbin/chat -v -f
> /etc/chatscripts/sysim^I^I# (from /etc/ppp/peers/sysim)
> Feb 4 06:16:13 netrek pppd[3252]: crtscts^I^I# (from /etc/ppp/options)
> Feb 4 06:16:13 netrek pppd[3252]: modem^I^I# (from /etc/ppp/options)
> Feb 4 06:16:13 netrek pppd[3252]: asyncmap 0^I^I# (from /etc/ppp/options)
> Feb 4 06:16:13 netrek pppd[3252]: lcp-echo-failure 4^I^I# (from
> /etc/ppp/options)
> Feb 4 06:16:13 netrek pppd[3252]: lcp-echo-interval 30^I^I# (from
> /etc/ppp/options)
> Feb 4 06:16:13 netrek pppd[3252]: hide-password^I^I# (from
> /etc/ppp/peers/sysim)
> Feb 4 06:16:13 netrek pppd[3252]: ipparam sysim^I^I# (from
> /etc/ppp/peers/sysim)
> Feb 4 06:16:13 netrek pppd[3252]: noipdefault^I^I# (from /etc/ppp/peers/sysim)
> Feb 4 06:16:13 netrek pppd[3252]: defaultroute^I^I# (from /etc/ppp/peers/sysim)
> Feb 4 06:16:13 netrek pppd[3252]: proxyarp^I^I# (from /etc/ppp/options)
> Feb 4 06:16:13 netrek pppd[3252]: usepeerdns^I^I# (from /etc/ppp/peers/sysim)
> Feb 4 06:16:13 netrek pppd[3252]: noipx^I^I# (from /etc/ppp/options)
> Feb 4 06:16:13 netrek pppd[3252]: pppd 2.4.4 started by root, uid 0
> Feb 4 06:16:14 netrek chat[3253]: abort on (BUSY)
> Feb 4 06:16:14 netrek chat[3253]: abort on (NO CARRIER)
> Feb 4 06:16:14 netrek chat[3253]: abort on (VOICE)
> Feb 4 06:16:14 netrek chat[3253]: abort on (NO DIALTONE)
> Feb 4 06:16:14 netrek chat[3253]: abort on (NO DIAL TONE)
> Feb 4 06:16:14 netrek chat[3253]: abort on (NO ANSWER)
> Feb 4 06:16:14 netrek chat[3253]: abort on (DELAYED)
> Feb 4 06:16:14 netrek chat[3253]: send (ATZ^M)
> Feb 4 06:16:14 netrek chat[3253]: expect (OK)
> Feb 4 06:16:14 netrek chat[3253]:
> ~!E@^@L"{^@^@^AYsLQ#p(`^@^@^E^B^A^@,Q#p(^@^@^@^@)S ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@
> Feb 4 06:16:14 netrek chat[3253]:
> ^R^A^@^@^@(^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^?v^@^C^@^A^@^D^@^@^@^A cL~~!E^@^B/0}1@^@9^F
> Feb 4 06:16:14 netrek chat[3253]:
> ^HD^Nn3EH^M'^@P^Hf^X^SyB^@ff^^P^Y^?^?%h^@^@yj^X|SB SBr$!*}^^]~sT^_Gz$>}]U[Kt76b^=}1^P}1#7^[HoS^DgzW^Px
> Feb 4 06:16:14 netrek chat[3253]:
> ^O`&?'hk^?yg42I<^PZMsD^C^D^M^]0^Cvl&;^M^KK7=Um5$MsC
> xmD`^OG^LWKcO^^Ga^K;;O2jw1^K$^I^H^QJ^BMF{^cT
[snip]
> Feb 4 06:17:42 netrek chat[3253]:
> ^R^A^@^@^@(^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^?v^@^C^@^A^@^D^@^@^@^A ^L^P~~!E^@^@(Ur@^@:^Fd(D^No8EH^M'^@P^He_C^N}1^@fe; P}1^?^?Lr^@^@R3~~!E@
> Feb 4 06:17:42 netrek chat[3253]:
> ^@L%}]^@^@^AYqJQ#p(`^@^@^E^B^A^@,Q#p(^@^@^@^@)S^@^@^@^@^ @^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@
> Feb 4 06:17:44 netrek chat[3253]: alarm
> Feb 4 06:17:44 netrek chat[3253]: Failed
> Feb 4 06:17:45 netrek pppd[3252]: Exit.
>
> Zach
>
>


- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFHpwmpS9HxQb37XmcRAjyDAKCNprxq7H9hG6U+OWHBZl HC4G3+UgCfWN+4
vTCKPAV68dCpzl6kWdtOMSA=
=/xGx
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-04-2008, 11:13 PM
Zach
 
Default gibberish in log file?

On 02/04/08 Ron Johnson wrote:
>
>*VERY* important questions:
>
>What do you mean by "old" ISP? Do you now have a "new" ISP?

Yes my old isp was ISP.com, my new ISP (which I'm trying to get
working) is Sysim. So before to start my connection I'd do:
pon isp.com (and never saw any weird characters in logfile)

Now I'm attempting to do:
pon sysim (and I get the weird characters)

I no longer have access to my old ISP but I decided to try it and see
if the weird characters would show up,
that is I did "pon isp.com" and now the log has that gibberish in it.
Yet when I tried my old ISP only 1 day earlier on Saturday it failed
(as expected, couldn't authorize) but there was NOT
gibberish in the log and it was normal.

So I don't understand what happened in that 1 day when the computer
was powered off and I didn't do anything to it. Very baffling.

I even went into pppconfig and deleted the entry for sysim and created
a new one and tried it again and the gibberish still shows up in the
log. What is really weird is that my old ISP entry "isp.com" now
produces this same gibberish yet that chat script wasn't modified in
anyway from when it ran the day before and did not produce the strange
characters.

Any clue how I can fix this?

Zach


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:32 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org