Old 12-21-2010, 10:08 AM
"D. Busboom"

Default Missing/corrupt font?

I've recently installed Squeeze on a desktop system with Gnome and KDE. All
seems quite well with the exception of a poorly displayed font when using KDE.
99% of the fonts look great but in certain places the font used is barely
readable, both small and 'run together'. Examples are, when in the KDE System
Settings, or in KMail, the search box contains the word "Search" as a default.
The font used for the word "Search" is the one in question. This same font
shows up in non-KDE apps as well, Rosegarden audio app is an example.
Changing the fonts in the KDE settings has no bearing on it at all. One other
possible clue is in KMail using Kwallet, the password box does not display
stars or any other characters when input is typed, only a "box" character in
the first position that doesn't change. Other password boxes display stars,
or dots as expected. Am I missing a font, or possible have one that is
corrupt? Any ideas on how one could change the font used in the above
siutations? Thanks for any ideas!

Dennis

Old 12-21-2010, 11:28 AM
Camaleón

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 05:08:51 -0600, D. Busboom wrote:

> I've recently installed Squeeze on a desktop system with Gnome and KDE.
> All seems quite well with the exception of a poorly displayed font when
> using KDE. 99% of the fonts look great but in certain places the font
> used is barely readable, both small and 'run together'.

(...)

Create a new user and login into a fresh-new session. Do you still see
the same problem?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 12-22-2010, 07:52 AM
Dennis Busboom

>> Create a new user and login into a fresh-new session. Do you still see
>> the same problem?

Interesting. A newly added user does not have the problem. However the three
users that were set up at the time of installation do.

Dennis

Old 12-22-2010, 10:07 AM
Camaleón

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 02:52:02 -0600, Dennis Busboom wrote:

>>> Create a new user and login into a fresh-new session. Do you still see
>>> the same problem?
>
> Interesting. A newly added user does not have the problem. However the
> three users that were set up at the time of installation do.

Then, something -regarding to fonts configuration- in your users profiles
can be messed up.

First, I would try with the usual suspects:

- "~.fonts.conf": if the file is there, try by renaming it.

- "~/.config/kde.org/systemsettings.conf" (check for the correct path, I
don't remember where KDE puts that file): the same, try by renaming this
file so you can start from scratch.

If the above does not solve the problem and as your installation is
recent, you could also try by renaming the whole "~/.config/kde/" folder
for your users, relogin and see what happens. Some settings will be lost,
but hopefully also your font rendering problem.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón