Old 12-21-2010, 06:27 AM

Default Safe and easy ipgrade to unstable/testing.

I'm searhcing for the safe way to upgrade my current debian to
testing/unstable in order to install the newset verion of OpenAFS
(1.4.12.1). I don't want to fully upgrade my system -- only the the
necessary dependencies should be used from testing/unstable repositories.
Hw can I do that?

-- Rizo

Old 12-21-2010, 07:24 AM
Alexander Batischev

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 07:27:37AM +0000, rizo@upp.pt wrote:
> I'm searhcing for the safe way to upgrade my current debian to
> testing/unstable in order to install the newset verion of OpenAFS
> (1.4.12.1). I don't want to fully upgrade my system -- only the the
> necessary dependencies should be used from testing/unstable repositories.
> Hw can I do that?

1. Add testing/unstable repos to your sources.list
2. Add the following line to the /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/02release
(if file doesn't exist yet, create it):

APT:efault-Release "lenny";

(you may use "stable" instead of "lenny" - that depends on what behavior you
expect when squeeze would release)

Basically that's all you need. Now apt (and aptitude, synaptic etc.) would
stick to lenny unless you ask it to do something else. With apt-* and aptitude,
you can use -t option to specify from which release you want package be
installed:

# aptitude install -t testing ping

Alexander Batischev

1024D/69093C81
F870 A381 B5F5 D2A1 1B35 4D63 A1A7 1C77 6909 3C81