-   -   lenny squeeze etc etc (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/467938-lenny-squeeze-etc-etc.html)

Jim Pazarena 12-21-2010 01:18 AM

lenny squeeze etc etc

what possessed the debian people to tack names on to the OS?
having actual version/release numbers seems so much clearer.
And there does appear to BE release numbers. So why promote the
goofy naming system which throws the novice?
--
Jim Pazarena debian@paz.bz

Archive: 4D100E7D.9050203@paz.bz">http://lists.debian.org/4D100E7D.9050203@paz.bz

Jerome BENOIT 12-21-2010 01:45 AM

lenny squeeze etc etc

Hi ,

what possessed the debian people to tack names on to the OS?
having actual version/release numbers seems so much clearer.
And there does appear to BE release numbers. So why promote the
goofy naming system which throws the novice?

do you really think that novices are lost with `goofy name' (as you said) rather than version number ?
Novices are generally lost with version numbers.

Jerome

Archive: 4D1014DF.8070705@rezozer.net">http://lists.debian.org/4D1014DF.8070705@rezozer.net

Bob Proulx 12-21-2010 01:51 AM

lenny squeeze etc etc

Jim Pazarena wrote:
> what possessed the debian people to tack names on to the OS?

It isn't just Debian. Most of the software distributions use names
for their releases *in addition to* the version numbering just like
Debian does. Debian isn't unique here. Just like car companies name
their car models too. People tend to relate better to things with
names than to numbers.

Additionally in Debian the release number doesn't really figure into
package upgrades. It doesn't matter that Lenny is 5 and Squeeze is 6
because the upgrade happens at the package level and every package has
its own version number. The number of the release is relatively
insignificant.

The developers have tried different release patterns in the past.
They keep discussing new patterns for the future on debian-devel. But
so far no one has really come up with a perfect release process.

> having actual version/release numbers seems so much clearer.
> And there does appear to BE release numbers. So why promote the
> goofy naming system which throws the novice?

In my experience it is the opposite. Novices get lost with all of the
numbers, numbers, numbers but relate better to named things.

Bob

John Hasler 12-21-2010 01:57 AM

lenny squeeze etc etc

Jim Pazarena wrote:
> what possessed the debian people to tack names on to the OS? having
> actual version/release numbers seems so much clearer. And there does
> appear to BE release numbers. So why promote the goofy naming system
> which throws the novice?

This was all fought out on debian-devel many years ago. No point in
bringing it up now. All the discussion is in the archive. I suggest
that you don't read it.
--
John Hasler

12-21-2010 03:33 AM

lenny squeeze etc etc

Jim Pazarena said:

what possessed the debian people to tack names on to the OS?
having actual version/release numbers seems so much clearer.
And there does appear to BE release numbers. So why promote the
goofy naming system which throws the novice?

-----

Windows 98, 2000 Pro., ME, XP, Vista, SeveN,

Yeah, were completely going out on a limb there...

Petrus Validus 12-21-2010 03:45 AM

lenny squeeze etc etc

On Mon, 2010-12-20 at 18:18 -0800, Jim Pazarena wrote:
> what possessed the debian people to tack names on to the OS?
> having actual version/release numbers seems so much clearer.
> And there does appear to BE release numbers. So why promote the
> goofy naming system which throws the novice?

Don't forget Apple's OS X:

Cheetah, Puma, Jaguar, Panther, Tiger, etc...
--
Petrus Validus
Petrus.Validus@gmail.com

Justin The Cynical 12-21-2010 04:44 AM

lenny squeeze etc etc

what possessed the debian people to tack names on to the OS?
having actual version/release numbers seems so much clearer.
And there does appear to BE release numbers. So why promote the
goofy naming system which throws the novice?

Don't forget Apple's OS X:

Cheetah, Puma, Jaguar, Panther, Tiger, etc...

Or Microsoft with longhorn, blackcomb, mantis, and so on.

Heck, for that matter, Linus named one of the kernel releases something
along the lines of 'rabid badger' (it was in the readme, wish I had kept
it as I can't find any reference to it now).

Archive: 4D103EAD.4070103@penguinness.org">http://lists.debian.org/4D103EAD.4070103@penguinness.org

Klistvud 12-21-2010 08:27 AM

lenny squeeze etc etc

what possessed the debian people to tack names on to the OS?
having actual version/release numbers seems so much clearer.
And there does appear to BE release numbers. So why promote the
goofy naming system which throws the novice?

do you really think that novices are lost with `goofy name' (as you
said) rather than version number ?

Novices are generally lost with version numbers.

Jerome

Well, novices that can get confused by such simple stuff as version
numbers, or goofy names, should seriously reconsider whether Debian is
the right distribution for them IMHO. Or else get ready for an uphill
struggle, where distro names will be the least of their problems.

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com
me.

Claudius Hubig 12-21-2010 10:54 AM

lenny squeeze etc etc

Justin The Cynical <cynical@penguinness.org> wrote:
>On 12/20/2010 20:45, Petrus Validus wrote:
>> On Mon, 2010-12-20 at 18:18 -0800, Jim Pazarena wrote:
>>> what possessed the debian people to tack names on to the OS?
>>> having actual version/release numbers seems so much clearer.
>>> And there does appear to BE release numbers. So why promote the
>>> goofy naming system which throws the novice?
>>
>> Don't forget Apple's OS X:
>>
>> Cheetah, Puma, Jaguar, Panther, Tiger, etc...
>
>Or Microsoft with longhorn, blackcomb, mantis, and so on.
>
>Heck, for that matter, Linus named one of the kernel releases something along the lines of 'rabid badger' (it was in the readme, wish I had kept it as I can't find any reference to it now).

Try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_kernel_names

However, these names are negligible compared to Pan:

http://pan.rebelbase.com/

How about Release 0.105: "When Churchill opened the door, it was a new car, a
Chevrolet Nova."?

--
Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them.
-- Publilius Syrus

http://chubig.net/

Camaleón 12-21-2010 11:57 AM

lenny squeeze etc etc

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 18:18:37 -0800, Jim Pazarena wrote:

> what possessed the debian people to tack names on to the OS? having
> actual version/release numbers seems so much clearer. And there does
> appear to BE release numbers. So why promote the goofy naming system
> which throws the novice?

I like the codename (besides the release number), looks like a more
personal way to designate your beloved system. Numbers remind me
Cylons... and even Cylons have a name ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón