Old 12-23-2010, 10:20 AM
Andrew McGlashan

Default lenny squeeze etc etc

Stan Hoeppner wrote:

Both the Linux kernel and Postfix follow the same trend. Both have been
on major revision 2 for---ever now. Considering the way the versioning
is done on both Linux and Postfix, there will never be a 3.x release of
either, as the core architecture will never undergo another major
change. For either to do so would require a redefinition of "major" change.

I think you will find that the kernel will advance .... as I understand
it, the 2.6 is the current "normal" branch and 2.7 is development, once
2.7 makes it to 2.8, then 2.9 will be dev ..... 3.0 / 3.1 and so on.

It's just that we have lived with 2.2, 2.4 and now 2.6 kernels for so
long it doesn't seem to change often ... but it will in time, I'm sure.

Cheers

--
Kind Regards
AndrewM

Andrew McGlashan
Broadband Solutions now including VoIP

Archive: 4D13308C.2060708@affinityvision.com.au">http://lists.debian.org/4D13308C.2060708@affinityvision.com.au

Old 12-23-2010, 12:24 PM
Adrian Levi

On 23 December 2010 21:20, Andrew McGlashan
<andrew.mcglashan@affinityvision.com.au> wrote:
> I think you will find that the kernel will advance .... as I understand it,
> the 2.6 is the current "normal" branch and 2.7 is development, once 2.7
> makes it to 2.8, then 2.9 will be dev ..... 3.0 / 3.1 and so on.
>
> It's just that we have lived with 2.2, 2.4 and now 2.6 kernels for so long
> it doesn't seem to change often ... but it will in time, I'm sure.

I remembered a message from Linus talking about versioning from a while ago
http://kerneltrap.org/node/436

And

--
24x7x365 != 24x7x52 Stupid or bad maths?
apartment it is.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:56 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

In <4D13308C.2060708@affinityvision.com.au>, Andrew McGlashan wrote:
>Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>> Both the Linux kernel and Postfix follow the same trend. Both have been
>> on major revision 2 for---ever now. Considering the way the versioning
>> is done on both Linux and Postfix, there will never be a 3.x release of
>> either, as the core architecture will never undergo another major
>> change. For either to do so would require a redefinition of "major"
>> change.
>
>I think you will find that the kernel will advance .... as I understand
>it, the 2.6 is the current "normal" branch and 2.7 is development, once
>2.7 makes it to 2.8, then 2.9 will be dev ..... 3.0 / 3.1 and so on.

(One of) The old way(s) was to use x.odd as development versions and x.even as
"stable" versions, with various meanings for stable.

Last I checked, that has gone away though. Things that are normally
considered "major" changes in software, like changes in ABI or other backward
compatibility issues e.g., are no longer done on the 2.7 branch. Instead,
they are simply done on the 2.6.x branch and downstream is expected to put up
with it. Instead of stable versions being part of the release planning, a
version is usually declared stable sometime after it's release when it's
relatively clear there are few major bugs and someone steps up to do the minor
maintenance work.

If all Free Software was maintained in such a way, it would be much more
difficult (maybe impossible) for Debian to exist in it's current form as new
packages entering Sid would causes an order of magnitude more cascading
breakages, and running a mixed system would be a recipe for disaster. The
kernel is a bit of a special case though AND the kernel developers are very
aware of the havoc poor maintenance on their part could cause and have their
own socio-technical solutions that have worked very well at least since
2.6.16.

>It's just that we have lived with 2.2, 2.4 and now 2.6 kernels for so
>long it doesn't seem to change often ... but it will in time, I'm sure.

I don't think they will actually change the "2.6" moniker to "2.7" / "2.8" /
"3.0" in the future. I think it is more likely that they will just drop it
from standard usage, so that the kernel I am currently running on this system
will simply be "Linux 32.5".
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 12-23-2010, 01:26 PM
Celejar

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 23:24:25 +1000
Adrian Levi <adrian.levi@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 23 December 2010 21:20, Andrew McGlashan
> <andrew.mcglashan@affinityvision.com.au> wrote:
> > I think you will find that the kernel will advance .... as I understand it,
> > the 2.6 is the current "normal" branch and 2.7 is development, once 2.7
> > makes it to 2.8, then 2.9 will be dev ..... 3.0 / 3.1 and so on.
> >
> > It's just that we have lived with 2.2, 2.4 and now 2.6 kernels for so long
> > it doesn't seem to change often ... but it will in time, I'm sure.
>
> I remembered a message from Linus talking about versioning from a while ago
> http://kerneltrap.org/node/436

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7732
http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-kernel/2008/7/15/2497424
http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=818

Celejar

Old 12-26-2010, 06:36 PM
Chris Jones

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 11:30:33AM EST, John Hasler wrote:

[..]

> I have not seen a movie in more than twenty years and probably never
> will see one again.

> I find the entire entertainment industry and everyone associated with
> it faintly disgusting, and, in any case, like popular music, movies
> are 99% boring crap. The ocassional gem (usually a rhinestone) is not
> worth sorting through the rest.

Not sure about ‘gems’.. but if you have not seen it already, you might
have fun watching:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56ahqtLA3ZY&feature=related

Quite relevant.

cj

Old 12-27-2010, 10:30 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Mi, 22 dec 10, 08:27:38, John Hasler wrote:
> Lisi writes:
> > It is, however, easier if the names are in some easily remembered
> > progression (e.g. Hardy, Intrepid, Jaunty etc.) than if they are
> > random (Woody, Sarge, Etch, Lenny ...)
>
> They are characters from the movie "Toy Story". I've never seen it, but
> I got the impression back when the decision to use them was made that
> the progression is obvious if you have.

Not really.

Regards,
Andrei