Old 12-22-2010, 01:14 PM
Petrus Validus

Default lenny squeeze etc etc

> My experience is with Suse (all numbers) and FreeBSD (all numbers).
> Wind$ws doesn't count! And, for that matter, Mac doesn't count.

Out of curiosity why don't Windows and Mac count?
--
Petrus Validus
Petrus.Validus@gmail.com

Old 12-22-2010, 01:27 PM
John Hasler

Lisi writes:
> It is, however, easier if the names are in some easily remembered
> progression (e.g. Hardy, Intrepid, Jaunty etc.) than if they are
> random (Woody, Sarge, Etch, Lenny ...)

They are characters from the movie "Toy Story". I've never seen it, but
I got the impression back when the decision to use them was made that
the progression is obvious if you have.

BTW what is Ubuntu going to do after Zoftig Zebra?
--
John Hasler

Old 12-22-2010, 02:05 PM
Petrus Validus

> They are characters from the movie "Toy Story". I've never seen it, but
> I got the impression back when the decision to use them was made that
> the progression is obvious if you have.

The Toy Story movies are good, I would recommend them.

> BTW what is Ubuntu going to do after Zoftig Zebra?

Good question...I have wondered this too. Maybe they have another
naming convention lined up? Starting back from the As again would only
make things confusing.

Regarding Ubuntu, however, I find that it's just easier to use the
version number than the code name only because there are far more
releases than Debian. But regarding Debian I prefer using the release
names as opposed numbers.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:23 PM
Lisi

On Wednesday 22 December 2010 14:27:38 John Hasler wrote:
> Lisi writes:
> > It is, however, easier if the names are in some easily remembered
> > progression (e.g. Hardy, Intrepid, Jaunty etc.) than if they are
> > random (Woody, Sarge, Etch, Lenny ...)
>
> They are characters from the movie "Toy Story".

Yes, I know. But I don't see how that is supposed to make it easy to remember
them! I do now know the progression since Sarge, but am very hazy on what
came before that. I think that Potato came before Woody, but I may not be
right. And were there any others between them, or after them and before
Sarge?

Though they are certainly less irritatingly twee than Hardy etc. But,
provided that one remembers that the first was Warty Warthog, it is easy to
work out whether or not something is missing.

Lisi

Old 12-22-2010, 02:29 PM
Slicky Johnson

http://tinyurl.com/34dfgz2

Old 12-22-2010, 03:30 PM
John Hasler

Petrus Validus writes:
> The Toy Story movies are good, I would recommend them.

I have not seen a movie in more than twenty years and probably never
will see one again. I find the entire entertainment industry and
everyone associated with it faintly disgusting, and, in any case, like
popular music, movies are 99% boring crap. The ocassional gem (usually
a rhinestone) is not worth sorting through the rest.
--
John Hasler

Old 12-22-2010, 03:35 PM
John Hasler

Lisi writes:
> But I don't see how that is supposed to make it easy to remember them!

You are supposed to have seen the movie nine times and been so thrilled
with the special effects that you memorized the list of characters.
--
John Hasler

Old 12-22-2010, 03:47 PM
John Hasler

> Out of curiosity why don't Windows and Mac count?

The companies spend billions hammering the code name/number for the next
version into everyone's head before releasing it. Despite never having
used Windows even I know that Microsoft's current OS release is Windows
7 and the the previous one was Vista. I don't know what Apple calls
their current version, though.
--
John Hasler

Old 12-22-2010, 03:53 PM
Miles Fidelman

John Hasler wrote:

Lisi writes:

But I don't see how that is supposed to make it easy to remember them!

You are supposed to have seen the movie nine times and been so thrilled
with the special effects that you memorized the list of characters.

Ahhh... so that's an essential qualification for using Debian? :-)

In<fnord> practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra

Archive: 4D122D14.1070708@meetinghouse.net">http://lists.debian.org/4D122D14.1070708@meetinghouse.net

Old 12-22-2010, 04:23 PM
John Hasler

Miles Fidelman writes:
> Ahhh... so that's an essential qualification for using Debian? :-)

Can't be. I use it.
--
John Hasler