Old 12-21-2010, 06:45 PM
Jimmy Johnson

Default lenny squeeze etc etc

Bob Proulx wrote:

Additionally in Debian the release number doesn't really figure into
package upgrades. It doesn't matter that Lenny is 5 and Squeeze is 6
because the upgrade happens at the package level and every package has
its own version number. The number of the release is relatively
insignificant.

Good point.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Debian Squeeze Beta-2 - KDE 4.5.3 - EXT4 at sda7
Registered Linux User #380263

Archive: 4D1103ED.9060006@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4D1103ED.9060006@gmail.com

Old 12-21-2010, 09:16 PM
Mark Goldshtein

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 5:51 AM, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
> Jim Pazarena wrote:
>> having actual version/release numbers seems so much clearer.
>> And there does appear to BE release numbers. So why promote the
>> goofy naming system which throws the novice?
>
> In my experience it is the opposite. *Novices get lost with all of the
> numbers, numbers, numbers but relate better to named things.

I am just curious, how novices 'get lost' with, for example, "Debian
Stable 2011"? Of course, after that, you may add "6.0" and "Squeeze"
and whatever the Team wants, for example, full GNU v3 license text.

--
Sincerely Yours'
Mark Goldshtein

Old 12-22-2010, 01:09 AM
Jim Pazarena

having actual version/release numbers seems so much clearer.
And there does appear to BE release numbers. So why promote the
goofy naming system which throws the novice?

In my experience it is the opposite. Novices get lost with all of the
numbers, numbers, numbers but relate better to named things.

I am just curious, how novices 'get lost' with, for example, "Debian
Stable 2011"? Of course, after that, you may add "6.0" and "Squeeze"
and whatever the Team wants, for example, full GNU v3 license text.

My experience is with Suse (all numbers) and FreeBSD (all numbers).
Wind$ws doesn't count! And, for that matter, Mac doesn't count.

To try to remember Sid, Lenny, Squeeze, which one is the newest, etc.
Yes, of course, the packages are constantly updating, which happens in
FreeBSD all the time, but knowing which base you are at, WITH A NUMBER,
is cleaner IMO. John Hasler said it best "all fought out on debian-devel"
many years ago. I did not mean to begin a war, nor did I anticipate the
(few) personal flames I received. I simply didn't follow the archives
far enough back.
--
Jim Pazarena debian@paz.bz

Archive: 4D115DE3.4000708@paz.bz">http://lists.debian.org/4D115DE3.4000708@paz.bz

Old 12-22-2010, 05:53 AM
Lisi

On Tuesday 21 December 2010 22:16:42 Mark Goldshtein wrote:
> I am just curious, how novices 'get lost' with, for example, "Debian
> Stable 2011"? Of course, after that, you may add "6.0" and "Squeeze"
> and whatever the Team wants, for example, full GNU v3 license text.

a) Suppose that there are several Stable releases in the same calendar year?

b) I personally find that it depends on how many there are. A handful?
Numbers are easier. More, names are easier. E.g., I installed Open SuSE on
my granddaughter's laptop, but cannot remember the exact number (11.x). My
husband is on Lenny. Easy to remember. But I actually don't know which out
of the possible 5.x.x. And as for Sarge and Woody.... (3.1 and 3.0???)

It is, however, easier if the names are in some easily remembered progression
(e.g. Hardy, Intrepid, Jaunty etc.) than if they are random (Woody, Sarge,
Etch, Lenny ...)

Lisi

Old 12-22-2010, 08:08 AM