FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-20-2010, 07:01 PM
Rick Thomas
 
Default Fun with DVD-RAM

Curt Howland wrote:

Is there a way to do a file system check on a UDF disk?

Next, while I realize that UDF "spreads the writes around" and makes
the disks last longer, I am using them for long-term archive rather
than something like a daily backup. Is there a reason anyone can
think of for not reformatting in ext2 or some other "fsck-able"
format? (I know not to use a journaling file system, because of the
myriad rewrites of the journal itself)


Curt-


Have you thought about a simple log-structured filesystem?

Rick


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4D0FB635.7040005@pobox.com">http://lists.debian.org/4D0FB635.7040005@pobox.com
 
Old 12-20-2010, 07:50 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Fun with DVD-RAM

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 12:42:59 -0500, Curt Howland wrote:

(...)

> This was an interesting error during my efforts:
>
> =====
> # fsck /dev/sr0
> fsck from util-linux-ng 2.17.2
> fsck: fsck.udf: not found
> fsck: Error 2 while executing fsck.udf for /dev/sr0
> =====
>
> Is there a way to do a file system check on a UDF disk?

There should be.

***
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/6.3/multimedia/udftools.html

udffsck is used to check the integrity and correct errors on UDF
filesystems.
***

So "udftools" package should contain "udffsck" but it seems it's not
available in Debian package :-?

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/udftools

> Next, while I realize that UDF "spreads the writes around" and makes the
> disks last longer, I am using them for long-term archive rather than
> something like a daily backup. Is there a reason anyone can think of for
> not reformatting in ext2 or some other "fsck-able" format? (I know not
> to use a journaling file system, because of the myriad rewrites of the
> journal itself)

In theory, you can use whatever filesystem you prefer... or so it says
Wikipedia¹, but it also warns that some of them perform faster that
others, without entering into the details:

"(...) Even though it is possible to use any file system one likes, only
very few perform well on DVD-RAM. This is because some file systems
frequently overwrite data on the disc and the table of contents is
contained at the start of the disc."

¹http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-RAM#Compatibility

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2010.12.20.20.50.50@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2010.12.20.20.50.50@gmail.com
 
Old 12-22-2010, 12:24 AM
Curt Howland
 
Default Fun with DVD-RAM

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On Monday 20 December 2010, Rick Thomas was heard to say:
> Curt Howland wrote:
> > Is there a
> > reason anyone can think of for not reformatting in ext2 or some
> > other "fsck-able" format?

> Have you thought about a simple log-structured filesystem?
>
> Rick

Which would you suggest?

As an aside, I threw away that particular disk, and simply took a new
one out and used that.

It's amazing that there is no udffsck in the Debian udfutils package.

Curt-

- --
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end,
for they do so with the approval of their consciences.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)

iQEVAwUBTRFTZC9Y35yItIgBAQJ6Dgf/UtHrI5lhWuwpRrYxpryawhuVVT18nI3u
HgkKGYSh9r35QFlpg1+1oVE6cUdL/SM2Jvhm0LC9pZKuSM0NXXohoJdB0bNAUJiP
dVe06UrGXwpWOnH9pT0tmMSxZaqY8cgnbq4NiEBKl2oXf6iIwd MBNtfYLjEN9PCM
DKR4PpKgfAFIpA22afoVmACCOo7dwQkUEo9EuVzAtGKei82BuR pr11spLPj0+4Ui
wGe8T0LWKS73ufyUA4qMFCDYGYltv4u1KbgeQs7CsLC4Gi6/xSFGcOqTvC+nlGJM
/+5Me8Jr6IlGqfWHt/+eXJdzUy7J+iRV7WY0m995f96evI0Z4LfEMg==
=5ijM
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201012212024.52754.Howland@priss.com">http://lists.debian.org/201012212024.52754.Howland@priss.com
 
Old 12-22-2010, 05:38 AM
Rick Thomas
 
Default Fun with DVD-RAM

On Dec 21, 2010, at 5:24 PM, Curt Howland wrote:


On Monday 20 December 2010, Rick Thomas was heard to say:

Curt Howland wrote:

Is there a
reason anyone can think of for not reformatting in ext2 or some
other "fsck-able" format?



Have you thought about a simple log-structured filesystem?

Rick


Which would you suggest?

As an aside, I threw away that particular disk, and simply took a new
one out and used that.

It's amazing that there is no udffsck in the Debian udfutils package.

Curt-


Using "aptitude search lfs" (I tried other variants on "log structured
filesystem" and go nothing) turned up "nilfs2-tools" and "nilfs2-
modules" and "nilfs2-source". The home page seems to be http://www.nilfs.org/
. I've never used it myself, so I can't recommend pro or con. My
remark was just in passing that a log-structured filesystem would seem
to be perfect for your needs.


You should also investigate (try google) the filesystems that are
being developed for use with flash-RAM, which shares many of the
distinctive characteristics of DVD-RAM. If you find anything useful,
I'd be interested to hear. This is an active area of development
these days (powered by the dropping cost of flash RAM and the
possibility of using it for low-power and very fast system residency
devices for embedded systems), so it should be a fertile ground for
google searches.


Rick


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 69F94694-C37B-46D6-8E2C-BB1A976C5E77@pobox.com">http://lists.debian.org/69F94694-C37B-46D6-8E2C-BB1A976C5E77@pobox.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:05 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org