Old 12-20-2010, 06:13 PM
will ryder

Default Debian Lenny Crashes

Hi,

I have a problem with my Debian Lenny server.

I have a SMB/CIF connection to NetApp storage. On the storage space is about 250Gb of files.

When I run the following command to remove the files, in the root of mounted directory, rm -R *
This causes the server to reboot. Today using konqueror when I looked at the properties of a folder, it crashed the server and causing it to reboot.

The Server is HP Prolient server, with 2 Xeon processors, 20Gb of ram and raid 1 for OS, separate disk for swap and 1.9Tb of raid 5 storage.
The networking is currently configured using only on network port. The kernel is 2.6.26-lenny11.

Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated,

Thanks

Will

Old 12-20-2010, 07:38 PM
Miles Fidelman

will ryder wrote:

I have a SMB/CIF connection to NetApp storage. On the storage space is about 250Gb of files.

When I run the following command to remove the files, in the root of mounted directory, rm -R *

This causes the server to reboot. Today using konqueror when I looked at the properties of a folder, it crashed the server and causing it to reboot.

I'm assuming that you're talking about the mount point of your attached
storage.

Typing rm -R * in your root directory is guaranteed to hose your server
(and having done that, once, by mistake, thinking I was in another
directory, I make a point of using full paths whenever using a rm -R
command).

Which leads to a few suggestions:
1. try rm -R /<mount point>/*
2. since this looks like a 1-time event (how often do you wipe an entire
server), delete a few directories at a time, until you're done

Miles Fidelman

In<fnord> practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra

Archive: 4D0FBED6.4060209@meetinghouse.net">http://lists.debian.org/4D0FBED6.4060209@meetinghouse.net

Old 12-20-2010, 07:45 PM
Atif CEYLAN

I have a problem with my Debian Lenny server.

I have a SMB/CIF connection to NetApp storage. On the storage space is about 250Gb of files.

When I run the following command to remove the files, in the root of mounted directory, rm -R *
This causes the server to reboot. Today using konqueror when I looked at the properties of a folder, it crashed the server and causing it to reboot.

The Server is HP Prolient server, with 2 Xeon processors, 20Gb of ram and raid 1 for OS, separate disk for swap and 1.9Tb of raid 5 storage.
The networking is currently configured using only on network port. The kernel is 2.6.26-lenny11.

Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated,

Thanks

Will

Hi,
what the kernel logs say? If you send us look at the "/var/log/syslog" ,
"/var/log/dmesg" and "/var/log/kern.log" logs.

--
/**
* @author Atıf CEYLAN

Archive: 4D0FC063.6080101@atifceylan.com">http://lists.debian.org/4D0FC063.6080101@atifceylan.com

Old 12-20-2010, 07:53 PM
Miles Fidelman

Atif CEYLAN wrote:

Hi,
what the kernel logs say? If you send us look at the "/var/log/syslog"
, "/var/log/dmesg" and "/var/log/kern.log" logs.
Might also be worth opening a console window, or attaching a serial
console (if you can) - some kinds of kernel panics will never make it to
a log file, but will show up on a console.

In<fnord> practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra