Old 02-04-2008, 10:43 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

Default No printer in OOo

On Debian etch, OOo2.3 was first installed, then a printer was added
to the system. All programs can print, except OOo. In OOo, the only
print listed is Generic Printer, and trying to print to it does not
make a job appear in the KDE Print Jobs dialog. Needless to say,
nothing printsץ OOo gives no errors, apparently OOo thinks that it
printed. What must I check? Thanks in advance.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 02-04-2008, 11:53 AM
"Paul Csanyi"

2008/2/4, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com>:
> On Debian etch, OOo2.3 was first installed, then a printer was added
> to the system. All programs can print, except OOo. In OOo, the only
> print listed is Generic Printer, and trying to print to it does not
> make a job appear in the KDE Print Jobs dialog. Needless to say,
> nothing printsץ OOo gives no errors, apparently OOo thinks that it
> printed. What must I check? Thanks in advance.

In the Help of Openoffice menu there is an answer:
You must use spadmin from the command prompt,
to add a printer.

--
Regards, Paul Csanyi

Old 02-04-2008, 02:09 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 04/02/2008, Paul Csanyi <csanyipal@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/2/4, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com>:
>
> > On Debian etch, OOo2.3 was first installed, then a printer was added
> > to the system. All programs can print, except OOo. In OOo, the only
> > print listed is Generic Printer, and trying to print to it does not
> > make a job appear in the KDE Print Jobs dialog. Needless to say,
> > nothing printsץ OOo gives no errors, apparently OOo thinks that it
> > printed. What must I check? Thanks in advance.
>

> In the Help of Openoffice menu there is an answer:
> You must use spadmin from the command prompt,
> to add a printer.

Thanks, Paul, I'll look into that.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 02-04-2008, 02:33 PM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 01:53:13PM +0100, Paul Csanyi wrote:
> 2008/2/4, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com>:
> > On Debian etch, OOo2.3 was first installed, then a printer was added
> > to the system. All programs can print, except OOo. In OOo, the only
> > print listed is Generic Printer, and trying to print to it does not
> > make a job appear in the KDE Print Jobs dialog. Needless to say,
> > nothing printsץ OOo gives no errors, apparently OOo thinks that it
> > printed. What must I check? Thanks in advance.
>
> In the Help of Openoffice menu there is an answer:
> You must use spadmin from the command prompt,
> to add a printer.

I thought that part of the Linux integration got rid of the need to use
spadmin. I don't recall configuring anything special with it. It has
just used my existing cups configuration.

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

Old 02-04-2008, 04:29 PM
Csányi Pál

Mon, 04 Feb 2008 15:33:01 +0000 keltezéssel Tzafrir Cohen azt *rta:

> On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 01:53:13PM +0100, Paul Csanyi wrote:
>> 2008/2/4, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com>:
>> > On Debian etch, OOo2.3 was first installed, then a printer was added
>> > to the system. All programs can print, except OOo. In OOo, the only
>> > print listed is Generic Printer, and trying to print to it does not
>> > make a job appear in the KDE Print Jobs dialog. Needless to say,
>> > nothing printsץ OOo gives no errors, apparently OOo thinks that it
>> > printed. What must I check? Thanks in advance.

Have you installed the following packages?

hpijs
hplip
hplip-data
foomatic-filters
foomatic-filters-ppds
cups-pdf
cupsys
cupsys-bsd
cupsys-client
cupsys-driver-gutenprint
cupsys-pt

Maybe you don't need these all above listed.

Check your printer! Is it supported by GNU/Linux system?
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Printing-HOWTO/printers.html

> I thought that part of the Linux integration got rid of the need to use
> spadmin. I don't recall configuring anything special with it. It has
> just used my existing cups configuration.

I agree with that.

--
Regards, Paul Csanyi