Old 12-20-2010, 01:20 PM
Brad Alexander

Default Experimental kernel on sid

It's been a long time since I went off-grid and used a kernel from
experimental. So forgive me, my memory is not what it used to be.

Here is my problem:

I don't see a 2.6.36 kernel for amd64, however the kbuild for 2.6.36
is available. I also see a 2.6.37rc5 kernel for amd64, but no kbuild
for 2.6.37. I am running the amd64 kernel on a 686 system because of a
time issue that occurred a while back. I need to rebuild the system,
but I have a ton of data to migrate to the file server. In any case,
what is the best approach to a newer kernel?

Thanks.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:17 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Brad Alexander wrote:

It's been a long time since I went off-grid and used a kernel from
experimental. So forgive me, my memory is not what it used to be.

Here is my problem:

I don't see a 2.6.36 kernel for amd64, however the kbuild for 2.6.36
is available. I also see a 2.6.37rc5 kernel for amd64, but no kbuild
for 2.6.37. I am running the amd64 kernel on a 686 system because of a
time issue that occurred a while back. I need to rebuild the system,
but I have a ton of data to migrate to the file server. In any case,
what is the best approach to a newer kernel?

http://wiki.debian.org/HowToRebuildAnOfficialDebianKernelPackage?action=A ttachFile&do=view&target=build-linux-kbuild.sh
and use 2.6.37rc5

Hugo

Archive: ieo6km$ivg$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/ieo6km$ivg$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 12-27-2010, 10:12 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Lu, 20 dec 10, 09:20:31, Brad Alexander wrote:
> It's been a long time since I went off-grid and used a kernel from
> experimental. So forgive me, my memory is not what it used to be.
>
> Here is my problem:
>
> I don't see a 2.6.36 kernel for amd64, however the kbuild for 2.6.36
> is available. I also see a 2.6.37rc5 kernel for amd64, but no kbuild
> for 2.6.37. I am running the amd64 kernel on a 686 system because of a
> time issue that occurred a while back. I need to rebuild the system,
> but I have a ton of data to migrate to the file server. In any case,
> what is the best approach to a newer kernel?

linux-image-2.6.36-trunk-amd64 is indeed not available in the
repositories anymore, but you can get it from snapshot.debian.org

Regards,
Andrei