Old 02-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Matej Kosik

Default QWERTY variant of Slovak keybaord---missing?

Hello,

Occassionally, I need to use Slovak keyboard layout. I (and I guess many if not most Slovaks) are
used to QWERTY rather than QWERTZ.

Previous Debian versions included this file:

/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/sk_qwerty

so that within

/etc/X11/xorg.conf

I could make use of it as follows:

Option "XkbLayout" "us,sk_qwerty"
Option "XkbOptions" "grp:menu_toggle,grp_led:scroll"

But `sk_qwerty' file disappeared? Is this an ommision or some purpose? I see only

/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/sk

which is QWERTZ. Am I right?

The difference between these two files is small:

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------
debian:/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols$ diff sk_qwerty sk
1c1
< // $XKeyboardConfig: xkbdesc/symbols/sk,v 1.8 2005-01-16 02:18:20 svu Exp $
- ---
> // $XKeyboardConfig: xkbdesc/symbols/sk,v 1.8 2005/01/16 02:18:20 svu Exp $
36c36
< key <AD06> { [ y, Y, NoSymbol, NoSymbol ] };
- ---
> key <AD06> { [ z, Z, NoSymbol, NoSymbol ] };
61c61
< key <AB01> { [ z, Z, degree, NoSymbol ] };
- ---
> key <AB01> { [ y, Y, degree, NoSymbol ] };
- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

but it is worth to have both variants (I am not sure about QWERTZ though, but I am certainly for
QWERTY variant for sure).

The changes are somehow related to transition from

http://packages.debian.org/etch/xkb-data-legacy

http://packages.debian.org/etch/xkb-data

Should I report this as a (minor) bug of `xkb-data' or did I misunderstood something?

Best regards,
- --
mk

Old 02-04-2008, 07:41 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 12:13:35 +0100, Matej Kosik wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Occassionally, I need to use Slovak keyboard layout. I (and I guess
> many if not most Slovaks) are used to QWERTY rather than QWERTZ.
>
> Previous Debian versions included this file:
>
> /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/sk_qwerty
>
> so that within
>
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>
> I could make use of it as follows:
>
> Option "XkbLayout" "us,sk_qwerty"
> Option "XkbOptions" "grp:menu_toggle,grp_led:scroll"
>
> But `sk_qwerty' file disappeared? Is this an ommision or some purpose? I see only
>
> /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/sk
>
> which is QWERTZ. Am I right?

The "sk_qwerty" layout is obsolete; "qwerty" and "qwerty_bksl" are now
included as variants of the "sk" layout.

Try this keyboard definition in your xorg.conf:

Option "XkbLayout" "us,sk"
Option "XkbVariant" ",qwerty"
Option "XkbOptions" "grp:menu_toggle,grp_led:scroll"

(",qwerty" means "basic for us, qwerty for sk")

Florian |