Old 12-20-2010, 02:34 AM
Mark

Default Keeping Lenny via /etc/apt/sources.list when Squeeze becomes stable

On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 7:25 PM, Alexander Batischev <eual.jp@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 07:12:48PM -0800, Mark wrote:

> I've seen some emails about using

> "Lenny" instead of "stable" in the /etc/apt/sources.list to force aptitude

> to keep a Lenny system. *Is this the official/accepted method?

Yes, that's absolutely normal to use either 'lenny' (with lowercase 'l'!) or

'stable'. You may also use 'squeeze' instead of 'testing' and 'sid' instead of

'unstable'.

Thank you, Alexander, this is exactly what I wanted to know.* I will use lowercase 'l' as you suggest.

Mark

Old 12-20-2010, 01:17 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

In <AANLkTin5-x9Wz731nxNCMgUNZjSYvQYcfSpxmmRaaqdE@mail.gmail.com >, Mark wrote:
>I am giving my parents a laptop for Christmas this year that I put Lenny on
>and as I'm on the other side of the country, want to make sure they stay on
>Lenny until I am home in the future to upgrade to Squeeze after it
>officially becomes the Stable release. I've seen some emails about using
>"Lenny" instead of "stable" in the /etc/apt/sources.list to force aptitude
>to keep a Lenny system. Is this the official/accepted method?

This will work for a while, but eventually the 'lenny' directory will be moved
off the main mirror system onto the archives and the 'oldstable -> lenny' will
be updated.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 12-20-2010, 01:41 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 08:17:06 -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

> In <AANLkTin5-x9Wz731nxNCMgUNZjSYvQYcfSpxmmRaaqdE@mail.gmail.com >, Mark
> wrote:
>>I am giving my parents a laptop for Christmas this year that I put Lenny
>>on and as I'm on the other side of the country, want to make sure they
>>stay on Lenny until I am home in the future to upgrade to Squeeze after
>>it officially becomes the Stable release. I've seen some emails about
>>using "Lenny" instead of "stable" in the /etc/apt/sources.list to force
>>aptitude to keep a Lenny system. Is this the official/accepted method?
>
> This will work for a while, but eventually the 'lenny' directory will be
> moved off the main mirror system onto the archives and the 'oldstable ->
> lenny' will be updated.

Do you mean that there is no way to keep the same name for the time it
lasts a release?

I thought "lenny" repo would automatically point to "oldstable" when
squeeze is released, that is, no manual intervention required from user's
side :-?

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianOldStable

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 12-20-2010, 03:02 PM
Alexander Batischev

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 02:41:48PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> Do you mean that there is no way to keep the same name for the time it
> lasts a release?

Excuse me for intervening, but no, he does not mean that. You see, you can
look at codenames (like 'etch', 'lenny' or 'squeeze') as 'absolute' values,
and at release names ('stable', 'testing' etc.) as 'relative' ones. 'lenny'
would still be 'lenny' after release of 'squeeze' (or whichever), but 'stable',
'testing' etc. would change.

> I thought "lenny" repo would automatically point to "oldstable" when
> squeeze is released, that is, no manual intervention required from user's
> side :-?

Yep, you're right: after squeeze's release, both lenny and oldstable would
point to the same place. The point is: if you use codenames, your distribution
won't change (that is, if it was lenny, it would stay so); but if you used
release names (say, 'stable'), you'll be automatically upgraded to the release
that became stable (squeeze, in that case).

Alexander Batischev

1024D/69093C81
F870 A381 B5F5 D2A1 1B35 4D63 A1A7 1C77 6909 3C81

Old 12-20-2010, 05:52 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Alexander Batischev wrote:

[...]

...and sid is always unstable...bless it (him?)

Archive: ieo8lo$sfm$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/ieo8lo$sfm$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 12-21-2010, 09:47 AM
"Jesús M. Navarro"

Hi:

On Monday 20 December 2010 15:17:06 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> In <AANLkTin5-x9Wz731nxNCMgUNZjSYvQYcfSpxmmRaaqdE@mail.gmail.com >, Mark
wrote:
> >I am giving my parents a laptop for Christmas this year that I put Lenny
> > on and as I'm on the other side of the country, want to make sure they
> > stay on Lenny until I am home in the future to upgrade to Squeeze after
> > it officially becomes the Stable release. I've seen some emails about
> > using "Lenny" instead of "stable" in the /etc/apt/sources.list to force
> > aptitude to keep a Lenny system. Is this the official/accepted method?
>
> This will work for a while,

For a value of "a while" about a year.

Cheers.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:15 PM
Mark

2010/12/21 Jesús M. Navarro <jesus.navarro@undominio.net>

Hi:

>On Monday 20 December 2010 15:17:06 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

> This will work for a while,

For a value of "a while" about a year.

Thanks for the replies everyone. *One of my old desktops is dedicated to running as a Squeezebox slimserver, and in the /etc/apt/sources.list file when I changed "deb http://debian.slimdevices.com stable main" to "deb http://debian.slimdevices.com lenny main", it returned an error during "aptitude update". *So I guess for the debian.slimdevices server, "lenny" cannot be substituted for "stable". *I just commented out that line for now, and will manually un-comment that line in the future to update as needed.

Mark

Old 12-21-2010, 04:37 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 09:15:46 -0800, Mark wrote:

> 2010/12/21 Jesús M. Navarro
>> Hi:
>>
>> >On Monday 20 December 2010 15:17:06 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>> >
>> > This will work for a while,
>>
>> For a value of "a while" about a year.
>>

> Thanks for the replies everyone. One of my old desktops is dedicated to
> running as a Squeezebox slimserver, and in the /etc/apt/sources.list
> file when I changed "deb http://debian.slimdevices.com *stable* main" to
> "deb http://debian.slimdevices.com *lenny *main", it returned an error
> during "aptitude update". So I guess for the debian.slimdevices server,
> "lenny" cannot be substituted for "stable". I just commented out that
> line for now, and will manually un-comment that line in the future to
> update as needed.

http://debian.slimdevices.com/dists/
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/

Why not choosing another mirror that can handle codenames? Or is that a
special mirror, different (non synced) from Debian ones?

For standard mirrors, should you want to keep Lenny (and as soon as
Squeeze comes out), if you are still pointing your repos to "stable"
you'll get into troubles.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 12-21-2010, 05:08 PM
Mark

Why not choosing another mirror that can handle codenames? Or is that a

special mirror, different (non synced) from Debian ones?

For standard mirrors, should you want to keep Lenny (and as soon as

Squeeze comes out), if you are still pointing your repos to "stable"

you'll get into troubles.

Hi Camaleón, the first link in your email confirms that slimdevices/Squeezebox categorizes Debian releases as stable-unstable-testing only, without using codenames.* According to the slimserver installation guide (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/DebianPackage) it only recognizes "stable".* Commenting the line out of sources.list and manually controlling when to un-comment it is an acceptable solution for me though.* Small trade-off for being able to use my Squeezebox!

Thanks,
Mark

Old 12-27-2010, 10:08 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Lu, 20 dec 10, 14:41:48, Camaleón wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 08:17:06 -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> >
> > This will work for a while, but eventually the 'lenny' directory will be
> > moved off the main mirror system onto the archives and the 'oldstable ->
> > lenny' will be updated.
>
> Do you mean that there is no way to keep the same name for the time it
> lasts a release?
>
> I thought "lenny" repo would automatically point to "oldstable" when
> squeeze is released, that is, no manual intervention required from user's
> side :-?
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianOldStable

Yes, but oldstable is supported only for one year after the release or
until the next release (whichever comes first, as the Security Team can
not support 3 releases at the same time). After that it will be moved to
archive.debian.org, so one needs to re-adjust sources.list

Regards,
Andrei