Old 12-20-2010, 02:12 AM
Mark

Default Keeping Lenny via /etc/apt/sources.list when Squeeze becomes stable

Hi,

I am giving my parents a laptop for Christmas this year that I put Lenny on and as I'm on the other side of the country, want to make sure they stay on Lenny until I am home in the future to upgrade to Squeeze after it officially becomes the Stable release.* I've seen some emails about using "Lenny" instead of "stable" in the /etc/apt/sources.list to force aptitude to keep a Lenny system.* Is this the official/accepted method?* Currently I have the standard "stable" entries in sources.list, plus backports.* Nothing fancy about the installation, stock kernel, etc.

Thank you,
Mark

Old 12-20-2010, 02:25 AM
Alexander Batischev

On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 07:12:48PM -0800, Mark wrote:
> I've seen some emails about using
> "Lenny" instead of "stable" in the /etc/apt/sources.list to force aptitude
> to keep a Lenny system. Is this the official/accepted method?

Yes, that's absolutely normal to use either 'lenny' (with lowercase 'l'!) or
'stable'. You may also use 'squeeze' instead of 'testing' and 'sid' instead of
'unstable'.

Alexander Batischev

1024D/69093C81
F870 A381 B5F5 D2A1 1B35 4D63 A1A7 1C77 6909 3C81