Old 12-19-2010, 06:56 PM
Celejar

Default "No devices found" in X

Hi,

Running uptodate Sid. I usually run self-compiled kernels (from
kernel.org git mainline repo) with standard Debian Sid X. This has
been working fine for years (except, of course, for the occasional,
temporary X breakage), but starting recently (presumably after some X
upgrade), X bails on startup, saying that it can't find any devices
(The last few lines from the log are included below).

I suspect there's something misconfigured in my kernels, since X still
starts fine with a Debian stock kernel - but I haven't actually changed
anything in my kernel config, which used to work fine. Has something
in X or the kernel changed recently that would require me to do
something different in the kernel?

The graphics chipset is an Intel 945GM, powered by the i915 driver:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 0090
Memory at d0100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
I/O ports at 1800 [size=8]
Memory at c0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
Memory at d0200000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256K]
Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
Capabilities: [90] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit-
Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 2
Kernel driver in use: i915

Two recent kernel that don't work are:

vmlinuz-2.6.36-lizzie-05857-gf9ba537
vmlinuz-2.6.37-rc6-lizzie-00109-g0a59228

A Debian stock one that does:

vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-686

The last few lines of Xorg.0.log (from a failed attempt):

(II) LoadModule: "intel"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so
(II) Module intel: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
Module class: X.Org Video Driver
ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 6.0
(II) LoadModule: "vesa"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module vesa
(II) UnloadModule: "vesa"
(EE) Failed to load module "vesa" (module does not exist, 0)
(II) LoadModule: "fbdev"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module fbdev
(II) UnloadModule: "fbdev"
(EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)
(II) intel: Driver for Intel Integrated Graphics Chipsets: i810,
i810-dc100, i810e, i815, i830M, 845G, 854, 852GM/855GM, 865G, 915G,
E7221 (i915), 915GM, 945G, 945GM, 945GME, Pineview GM, Pineview G,
965G, G35, 965Q, 946GZ, 965GM, 965GME/GLE, G33, Q35, Q33, GM45,
4 Series, G45/G43, Q45/Q43, G41, B43, B43, Clarkdale, Arrandale,
Sandybridge, Sandybridge, Sandybridge, Sandybridge, Sandybridge,
Sandybridge, Sandybridge
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 00@00:02:0
(EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

*****

I can provide further information if necessary (e.g., dmesg, kernel
config, and full logs to a pastebin), but I figured I'd try this first,
in case anyone has any idea.

Celejar

Old 12-19-2010, 08:25 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2010-12-19 20:56 +0100, Celejar wrote:

> Running uptodate Sid. I usually run self-compiled kernels (from
> kernel.org git mainline repo) with standard Debian Sid X.

You need to set CONFIG_DRM_I915_KMS=y in your kernel configuration. See
the recent bug reports on the xserver-xorg-video-intel package.

Sven

Old 12-20-2010, 02:56 AM
Celejar

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 22:25:55 +0100
Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:

> On 2010-12-19 20:56 +0100, Celejar wrote:
>
> > Running uptodate Sid. I usually run self-compiled kernels (from
> > kernel.org git mainline repo) with standard Debian Sid X.
>
> You need to set CONFIG_DRM_I915_KMS=y in your kernel configuration. See
> the recent bug reports on the xserver-xorg-video-intel package.

Right you are, as usual. We have this:

So I fixed that, and now I seemed to be worse off than before - the
system seemed to just hang early on in the boot process with a blank
screen.

I thought about this a bit, and realized that this was happening right
around the time that the system might be trying to switch to the
framebuffer, or something like that. I don't particularly like the
framebuffer, and I've never needed it before, so I don't know much
about it. I still haven't figured out how to get the framebuffer
working (if that's indeed the problem), but I discovered that I can get
into X by just waiting until the HDD stops churning, and then blindly
typing 'startx<CR>'. [How's that for a broken system - X, but no
console ]

I've checked the framebuffer section of my kernel config, and made sure
that FB_I810 is enabled, but the problem remains. Am I on the right
track? Do I need anything else?

Looking around some more, I see that the Gentoo Wiki claims that with
Intel and KMS the framebuffer drivers should *not* be built, and
*building* them may actually cause black screens! Can anyone point me
to a proper explanation of what I need to do to get the console working
here?

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Framebuffer

[I'm pretty sure that I've tried both with FB_I810 enabled and
disabled, but perhaps I always really had it enabled. If no one
has a better suggestion, I suppose I'll have to try again with it
disabled just to make sure.]

Thanks, Sven,
Celejar

Old 12-20-2010, 02:45 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 22:56:55 -0500, Celejar wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 22:25:55 +0100 Sven Joachim wrote:
>
>> On 2010-12-19 20:56 +0100, Celejar wrote:
>>
>> > Running uptodate Sid. I usually run self-compiled kernels (from
>> > kernel.org git mainline repo) with standard Debian Sid X.
>>
>> You need to set CONFIG_DRM_I915_KMS=y in your kernel configuration.
>> See the recent bug reports on the xserver-xorg-video-intel package.
>
> Right you are, as usual. We have this:

> So I fixed that, and now I seemed to be worse off than before - the
> system seemed to just hang early on in the boot process with a blank
> screen.

(...)

By reading your xorg log error, I see two problems here:

1/ Intel driver is failing (not normal but users are accustomed to this)
2/ VESA driver (the natural fallback alternative when "intel" driver
fails) cannot be loaded:

***
(II) LoadModule: "vesa"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module vesa
(II) UnloadModule: "vesa"
(EE) Failed to load module "vesa" (module does not exist, 0)
***

Users with an Intel VGA card should always have the "vesa" driver
available and ready to be used, just in case, because such cards do not
have another alternative to use (while ati or nvidia chipsets can play
with 3/4 different set of drivers, Intel options are very limited in this
matter) :-/

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 12-20-2010, 03:15 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2010-12-20 04:56 +0100, Celejar wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 22:25:55 +0100
> Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> On 2010-12-19 20:56 +0100, Celejar wrote:
>>
>> > Running uptodate Sid. I usually run self-compiled kernels (from
>> > kernel.org git mainline repo) with standard Debian Sid X.
>>
>> You need to set CONFIG_DRM_I915_KMS=y in your kernel configuration. See
>> the recent bug reports on the xserver-xorg-video-intel package.
>
> Right you are, as usual. We have this:

> So I fixed that, and now I seemed to be worse off than before - the
> system seemed to just hang early on in the boot process with a blank
> screen.

This may be due to the use of a framebuffer in grub2, or because
CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE is not set in the kernel configuration. For
the former, try to disable the framebuffer and use text mode (please
consult the grub documentation how to do that, I'm not using grub2
myself yet).

> I've checked the framebuffer section of my kernel config, and made sure
> that FB_I810 is enabled, but the problem remains. Am I on the right
> track?

No, FB_I810 is for older Intel graphics, not for yours. You should not
enable it.

> Looking around some more, I see that the Gentoo Wiki claims that with
> Intel and KMS the framebuffer drivers should *not* be built, and
> *building* them may actually cause black screens!

Building them is harmless, but loading them could cause a black screen.
But I think intelfb and co. are all blacklisted, so should not be loaded
unless you explicitly asked for them.

> Can anyone point me to a proper explanation of what I need to do to
> get the console working here?

You need CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y. See also the Debian Wiki:
http://wiki.debian.org/KernelModesetting.

Sven

Old 12-20-2010, 03:25 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2010-12-20 16:45 +0100, Camaleón wrote:

> Users with an Intel VGA card should always have the "vesa" driver
> available and ready to be used, just in case, because such cards do not
> have another alternative to use (while ati or nvidia chipsets can play
> with 3/4 different set of drivers, Intel options are very limited in this
> matter) :-/

The vesa driver won't work with Kernel Mode Setting (which is mandatory
for current Intel driver versions), the fbdev driver is a better
fallback for KMS-enabled systems. Of course it does not hurt to have
both vesa and fbdev installed.

Sven

Old 12-20-2010, 03:42 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 17:25:02 +0100, Sven Joachim wrote:

> On 2010-12-20 16:45 +0100, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> Users with an Intel VGA card should always have the "vesa" driver
>> available and ready to be used, just in case, because such cards do not
>> have another alternative to use (while ati or nvidia chipsets can play
>> with 3/4 different set of drivers, Intel options are very limited in
>> this matter) :-/
>
> The vesa driver won't work with Kernel Mode Setting (which is mandatory
> for current Intel driver versions), the fbdev driver is a better
> fallback for KMS-enabled systems. Of course it does not hurt to have
> both vesa and fbdev installed.

How bad... but "fbdev" also fails:

***
(II) LoadModule: "fbdev"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module fbdev
(II) UnloadModule: "fbdev"
(EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)
***

So, if KMS is now a must for Intel cards, and VESA is not compatible with
KMS, I hope at least "fbdev" can be used transparently (no user
intercation needed)... Hummm, I wouldn't like to have an Intel VGA
chipset nowadays O:-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 12-20-2010, 04:16 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2010-12-20 17:42 +0100, Camaleón wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 17:25:02 +0100, Sven Joachim wrote:
>
>> The vesa driver won't work with Kernel Mode Setting (which is mandatory
>> for current Intel driver versions), the fbdev driver is a better
>> fallback for KMS-enabled systems. Of course it does not hurt to have
>> both vesa and fbdev installed.
>
> How bad... but "fbdev" also fails:
>
> ***
> (II) LoadModule: "fbdev"
> (WW) Warning, couldn't open module fbdev
> (II) UnloadModule: "fbdev"
> (EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)
> ***

Looks like xserver-xorg-video-fbdev is not installed on your system.
Small wonder that it fails then.

> So, if KMS is now a must for Intel cards, and VESA is not compatible with
> KMS, I hope at least "fbdev" can be used transparently (no user
> intercation needed)...

Personally I hope to never need vesa or fbdev on Intel systems.

> Hummm, I wouldn't like to have an Intel VGA
> chipset nowadays O:-)

Why not? My (four years old) laptop has always worked fine, and Intel
chipsets are the only ones where free drivers for very new hardware
exist.

Sven

Old 12-20-2010, 04:40 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 18:16:42 +0100, Sven Joachim wrote:

> On 2010-12-20 17:42 +0100, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> How bad... but "fbdev" also fails:
>>
>> ***
>> (II) LoadModule: "fbdev"
>> (WW) Warning, couldn't open module fbdev (II) UnloadModule: "fbdev"
>> (EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)
>> ***
>
> Looks like xserver-xorg-video-fbdev is not installed on your system.
> Small wonder that it fails then.

That was from Celejar's xorg log, not mine :-)

>> So, if KMS is now a must for Intel cards, and VESA is not compatible
>> with KMS, I hope at least "fbdev" can be used transparently (no user
>> intercation needed)...
>
> Personally I hope to never need vesa or fbdev on Intel systems.

Yep, but in real life users need to have a second alternative when the
primary fails. Having no screen at all is not a good way to start your
work-day.

>> Hummm, I wouldn't like to have an Intel VGA chipset nowadays O:-)
>
> Why not? My (four years old) laptop has always worked fine, and Intel
> chipsets are the only ones where free drivers for very new hardware
> exist.

Why not? :-)

Because I'm seeing (one day and another, in this same list and in other
Debian lists) that Intel driver is failing (crashing) very often and
doesn't seem to provide an easy method to bypass these problems.

I like free drivers... if they "work". One thing is that you don't get
many FPS with your Intel card but another thing is that you cannot even
get into your desktop because xorg server is crashing on start-up.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 12-20-2010, 05:02 PM
Thierry Chatelet

On Monday 20 December 2010 18:40:02 Camaleón wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 18:16:42 +0100, Sven Joachim wrote:
>
> Why not? :-)
>
> Because I'm seeing (one day and another, in this same list and in other
> Debian lists) that Intel driver is failing (crashing) very often and
> doesn't seem to provide an easy method to bypass these problems.
>

> Greetings,

Well, I don't want to start a war, but I have machines with Intel, nvidia and
ati graphic card. Intel one has proved to be the stable one over the past two
and a half years. And it was going to be a must for future machines. So I will
follow this link to see how it resolve.
But, also you are running your own kernel and you said that stock kernel are
not a trouble....
Thierry