-   -   Poppler error: "floating point exception" (lenny) (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/467556-poppler-error-floating-point-exception-lenny.html)

Lisi 12-19-2010 06:20 PM

On Sunday 19 December 2010 16:37:01 Camaleón wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am getting a "floating point exception" error message from Evince when
> opening some PDF files (a sample is linked bellow). The file gets opened
> but as soon as I'm reading pages (page 1, page 2, page 3...), at some
> point Evince closes by itself. When running Evince from command line, as
> soon as it breaks, I can see the above mentioned error.
>
> Sample error (PDF, ~3.1 MiB):
> http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/KXTG7531-MUL.PDF
>
> (I have tested with other PDF files from Panasonic site and they just
> crash in the same manner).
>
> The GIMP gives the same error:
>
> ***
> sm01@stt008:~/Desktop$ gimp KXTG7531-MUL.PDF
> /usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/poppler: fatal error: Floating point exception
> ***
>
> Can someone please confirm this problem?

I have tried both Evince and the GIMP.

Evince was fine started from the GUI. When started from the CLI it was fine at
first, but around the 6th page I looked at it crashed thus:

lisi@Tux:~$ evince KXTG7531-MUL.PDF
Floating point exception
lisi@Tux:~$

The GIMP failed, but with a different error message from that you got, which
was the same both when started from the GUI and when started from the CLI. A
box came up saying:

GIMP Message
Opening 'home/lisi/KXTG7531-MUL.PDF' failed: Portable Document Format plug-In
could not open image.

HTH
Lisi

Camaleón 12-19-2010 06:50 PM

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 19:20:10 +0000, Lisi wrote:

> On Sunday 19 December 2010 16:37:01 Camaleón wrote:

>> I am getting a "floating point exception" error message from Evince
>> when opening some PDF files (a sample is linked bellow). The file gets
>> opened but as soon as I'm reading pages (page 1, page 2, page 3...), at
>> some point Evince closes by itself. When running Evince from command
>> line, as soon as it breaks, I can see the above mentioned error.

(...)

>> Can someone please confirm this problem?
>
> I have tried both Evince and the GIMP.
>
> Evince was fine started from the GUI. When started from the CLI it was
> fine at first, but around the 6th page I looked at it crashed thus:
>
> lisi@Tux:~$ evince KXTG7531-MUL.PDF
> Floating point exception
> lisi@Tux:~$

Yep, thanks for confirming, Lisi! :-)

> The GIMP failed, but with a different error message from that you got,
> which was the same both when started from the GUI and when started from
> the CLI. A box came up saying:
>
> GIMP Message
> Opening 'home/lisi/KXTG7531-MUL.PDF' failed: Portable Document Format
> plug-In could not open image.

Hum... you should get the same message than me. Try with this:

***
gimp /home/lisi/KXTG7531-MUL.PDF
***

Close the popup window of Gimp and review the error you get in console.

Not sure what to do about this... Lenny only gets updates for security
issues and this looks like a plain and harmless (though annoying) error,
what do you people think, should I open a bug report for this? :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Lisi 12-19-2010 10:10 PM

On Sunday 19 December 2010 19:50:09 Camaleón wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 19:20:10 +0000, Lisi wrote:
> > On Sunday 19 December 2010 16:37:01 Camaleón wrote:
> >> I am getting a "floating point exception" error message from Evince
> >> when opening some PDF files (a sample is linked bellow). The file gets
> >> opened but as soon as I'm reading pages (page 1, page 2, page 3...), at
> >> some point Evince closes by itself. When running Evince from command
> >> line, as soon as it breaks, I can see the above mentioned error.
>
> (...)
>
> >> Can someone please confirm this problem?
[snip]

lisi@Tux:~$ gimp /home/lisi/KXTG7531-MUL.PDF
/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/poppler: fatal error: Floating point exception
lisi@Tux:~$

So it makes a difference whether one uses the relative path or the absolute.
Odd!

> Not sure what to do about this... Lenny only gets updates for security
> issues and this looks like a plain and harmless (though annoying) error,
> what do you people think, should I open a bug report for this? :-?

Probably worth mentioning, if only to reduce the risk that it will be
perpetuated in Squeeze.

Lisi

Greg Madden 12-20-2010 02:03 AM

On Sunday 19 December 2010 10:50:09 am Camaleón wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 19:20:10 +0000, Lisi wrote:
> > On Sunday 19 December 2010 16:37:01 Camaleón wrote:
> >> I am getting a "floating point exception" error message from Evince
> >> when opening some PDF files (a sample is linked bellow). The file gets
> >> opened but as soon as I'm reading pages (page 1, page 2, page 3...), at
> >> some point Evince closes by itself. When running Evince from command
> >> line, as soon as it breaks, I can see the above mentioned error.
>
> (...)
>
> >> Can someone please confirm this problem?
> >
> > I have tried both Evince and the GIMP.
> >
> > Evince was fine started from the GUI. When started from the CLI it was
> > fine at first, but around the 6th page I looked at it crashed thus:
> >
> > lisi@Tux:~$ evince KXTG7531-MUL.PDF
> > Floating point exception
> > lisi@Tux:~$
>
> Yep, thanks for confirming, Lisi! :-)
>
> > The GIMP failed, but with a different error message from that you got,
> > which was the same both when started from the GUI and when started from
> > the CLI. A box came up saying:
> >
> > GIMP Message
> > Opening 'home/lisi/KXTG7531-MUL.PDF' failed: Portable Document Format
> > plug-In could not open image.
>
> Hum... you should get the same message than me. Try with this:
>
> ***
> gimp /home/lisi/KXTG7531-MUL.PDF
> ***
>
> Close the popup window of Gimp and review the error you get in console.
>
> Not sure what to do about this... Lenny only gets updates for security
> issues and this looks like a plain and harmless (though annoying) error,
> what do you people think, should I open a bug report for this? :-?
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

Squeeze (evince) handles pdf's much better than Lenny, one of the big reasons I
upgraded to Squeeze. The poppler 'stuff' has been getting improvements, good
reason to upgrade for me

--
Peace,

Greg

Camaleón 12-20-2010 11:55 AM

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 23:10:43 +0000, Lisi wrote:

> On Sunday 19 December 2010 19:50:09 Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> Hum... you should get the same message than me. Try with this:
>>
>> ***
>> gimp /home/lisi/KXTG7531-MUL.PDF
>> ***
>>
>> Close the popup window of Gimp and review the error you get in console.
>
> lisi@Tux:~$ gimp /home/lisi/KXTG7531-MUL.PDF
> /usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/poppler: fatal error: Floating point
> exception lisi@Tux:~$
>
> So it makes a difference whether one uses the relative path or the
> absolute. Odd!

Yep, I also realized when you got a different error message :-?

>> Not sure what to do about this... Lenny only gets updates for security
>> issues and this looks like a plain and harmless (though annoying)
>> error, what do you people think, should I open a bug report for this?
>> :-?
>
> Probably worth mentioning, if only to reduce the risk that it will be
> perpetuated in Squeeze.

Done: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=607633

Although the error _is not_ reproducible in Squeeze, Lenny will be still
supported for one more year (once Squeeze is released), so having to deal
with random PDF crashes for a long period of time does not sound like a
good plan :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón