-   -   Does somebody know how to install mintbackup for Debian (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/467297-does-somebody-know-how-install-mintbackup-debian.html)

Tom H 12-18-2010 07:46 PM

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 1:43 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 23:17:26 +0530, shirish शिरीष wrote:
>
>> *There is a package in Linuxmint called mintbackup. What this tool
>> does is somebody can use that, make a backup of his packages and use it
>> on some other machine to make an identical copy as the first one.
>>
>> Does anybody know :-
>>
>> a. How to install mintbackup on Debian ?
>
> Linuxmint is based on Ubuntu which is based on Debian... so, in the end
> what you have is a ".deb" file but I would not mix packages from
> different distributions: it could work or it could give you nothing but
> headaches :-)
>
>> b. If not, does anybody know of a similar tool to mintbackup in the
>> Debian Universe ?
>
> Yes, there is another way (Debian based) that you can explore:
>
> Copying Debian package selections to a new machine
> http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/copying_debian_package_selections_new_machine

There's a version of Mint that's based on Debian rather than on Ubuntu
by using the Debian repos and adding its own repos for its own
packages. You could try installing mintbackup in a Debian VM to see
how it behaves; it's "just" a python script.

mintbackup backups and restores files and directories and backups and
restores package selections so I don;t think that there's one
equivalent Debian or Ubuntu tool.

Hugo Vanwoerkom 12-18-2010 08:33 PM

Does somebody know how to install mintbackup for Debian

shirish शिरीष wrote:

Hi all,
There is a package in Linuxmint called mintbackup. What this tool
does is somebody can use that, make a backup of his packages and use
it on some other machine to make an identical copy as the first one.

Does anybody know :-

a. How to install mintbackup on Debian ?
b. If not, does anybody know of a similar tool to mintbackup in the
Debian Universe ?

b. Mondo/mindi does that quite nicely: it produces bootable DVD's that
can be used to install on a different machine.

But they are backleveled in Debian. Use the debs from:
http://mondorescue.muskokamug.org/debian/5.0/

Hugo

Archive: iej9am$2ik$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/iej9am$2ik$1@dough.gmane.org

Roman Khomasuridze 12-18-2010 08:40 PM

Does somebody know how to install mintbackup for Debian

Hi,
this will work only if you have squeeze or sid.. didn't tested it on lenny tho.just add�
deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream importto your sources.list and your done.�

a. How to install mintbackup on Debian ?

Lisi 12-18-2010 10:06 PM

On Saturday 18 December 2010 18:43:06 Camalen wrote:
> Linuxmint is based on Ubuntu which is based on Debian... so, in the end
> what you have is a ".deb" file but I would not mix packages from
> different distributions: it could work or it could give you nothing but
> headaches :-)

Not necessarily. There is now a version based on Debian instead of Ubuntu.
Tho' the rest of your comment obviously stands.

Lisi

Camalen 12-19-2010 11:39 AM

On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 23:06:51 +0000, Lisi wrote:

> On Saturday 18 December 2010 18:43:06 Camalen wrote:
>> Linuxmint is based on Ubuntu which is based on Debian... so, in the end
>> what you have is a ".deb" file but I would not mix packages from
>> different distributions: it could work or it could give you nothing but
>> headaches :-)
>
> Not necessarily. There is now a version based on Debian instead of
> Ubuntu. Tho' the rest of your comment obviously stands.

He, he... yes, I know :-)

But the OP said plain Linux Mint (not "Linux Mint Debian Edition", in
short "LMDE") and while LMDE is compatible with Debian repositories, the
opposite does not have to be necessarily true (besides, LMDE does not
have yet a 64-bit edition).

Greetings,

--
Camalen

Lisi 12-19-2010 12:27 PM

On Sunday 19 December 2010 12:39:58 Camalen wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 23:06:51 +0000, Lisi wrote:
> > On Saturday 18 December 2010 18:43:06 Camalen wrote:
> >> Linuxmint is based on Ubuntu which is based on Debian... so, in the end
> >> what you have is a ".deb" file but I would not mix packages from
> >> different distributions: it could work or it could give you nothing but
> >> headaches :-)
> >
> > Not necessarily. There is now a version based on Debian instead of
> > Ubuntu. Tho' the rest of your comment obviously stands.
>
> He, he... yes, I know :-)

That doesn't surprise me - your knowledge seems to be encyclopaedic. I very
much doubt that there is anything aboyt Linux that I know and you don't. :-)
But you may have readers, either now or in the future, who do not know that.

> But the OP said plain Linux Mint (not "Linux Mint Debian Edition", in
> short "LMDE") and while LMDE is compatible with Debian repositories, the
> opposite does not have to be necessarily true (besides, LMDE does not
> have yet a 64-bit edition).

Yes - I entirely agree, and had in fact said that the rest of what you said
would still apply. Indeed, I can think immediately of a case where a distro
could and did use Debian repositories, but where the reverse was not true.
I would be very wary indeed of trying to install on Debian from any repository
that is not explicitly intended for Debian.

Lisi