Old 12-18-2010, 12:01 PM
Paul Sohier

Default LG monitor connected via HDMI wrong output color

Hi,

Iam using a Dell Inspiron Laptop (With a Core I5 and intergrated GPU)
with Debian squeeze (Up to date). When I connect my TV (A LG M2094D) via
HDMI the outpur color is wrong. instead of blue everything is green. See
this photo as example: http://www.hosthuis.nl/IMAG0401.jpg The TV is at
the left, and the laptop on the right. The color at the tv should be
like the same as on the laptop (Standard backgroun on Squeeze). Does
anyone have a idea of there is some x/xorg configuration option is to
fix this?

Regards,
Paul.

Archive: 4D0CB0C6.6010307@paulscripts.nl">http://lists.debian.org/4D0CB0C6.6010307@paulscripts.nl

Old 12-18-2010, 12:40 PM
Brad Rogers

On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 14:01:58 +0100
Paul Sohier <paul@paulscripts.nl> wrote:

Hello Paul,

> like the same as on the laptop (Standard backgroun on Squeeze). Does
> anyone have a idea of there is some x/xorg configuration option is to
> fix this?

How about looking at something more simple first; Is the cable okay?
Try swapping the video cables, if that's possible, to see what happens
to the colours on each screen.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

Old 12-18-2010, 01:01 PM
Paul Sohier

Hi Brad,

That was my first idea as well, so I bought last week a new cable and
the same happens with that cable as well.

Paul.

Archive: 4D0CBEB5.3080302@paulscripts.nl">http://lists.debian.org/4D0CBEB5.3080302@paulscripts.nl

Old 12-18-2010, 01:02 PM
Thierry Chatelet

On Saturday 18 December 2010 14:40:44 Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 14:01:58 +0100
> Paul Sohier <paul@paulscripts.nl> wrote:
>
> Hello Paul,
>
> > like the same as on the laptop (Standard backgroun on Squeeze). Does
> > anyone have a idea of there is some x/xorg configuration option is to
> > fix this?
>
> How about looking at something more simple first; Is the cable okay?
> Try swapping the video cables, if that's possible, to see what happens
> to the colours on each screen.

Good idea, but it may be difficult to swap cables with a laptop!
Thierry

Old 12-18-2010, 01:41 PM
Brad Rogers

On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 15:02:55 +0100
Thierry Chatelet <tchatelet@free.fr> wrote:

Hello Thierry,

> Good idea, but it may be difficult to swap cables with a laptop!

:-)

Paul knew what I meant.

A shame I didn't say it precisely enough. :-(

Sadly, I have no idea what to put in xorg.conf to rectify the matter.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is
/ _)rad never immediately apparent"
We don't give a damn
One Chord Wonders - The Adverts

Old 12-18-2010, 02:27 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 14:01:58 +0100, Paul Sohier wrote:

> Iam using a Dell Inspiron Laptop (With a Core I5 and intergrated GPU)
> with Debian squeeze (Up to date). When I connect my TV (A LG M2094D) via
> HDMI the outpur color is wrong. instead of blue everything is green. See
> this photo as example: http://www.hosthuis.nl/IMAG0401.jpg The TV is at
> the left, and the laptop on the right. The color at the tv should be
> like the same as on the laptop (Standard backgroun on Squeeze). Does
> anyone have a idea of there is some x/xorg configuration option is to
> fix this?

I would make a quick test to discard something wrong at the HDMI/TV side.
First you can try is accessing to the BIOS screen (usually with "blue"
background) and check if TV is also showing "green" instead "blue".

This is an easy way to know if the problem comes once the OS is started
(which points to and xorg/VGA configuration issue) or if the problem lies
in another place, before the OS comes into play.

BTW, what VGA card (intel, ati, nvidia...)?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 12-18-2010, 03:02 PM
Paul Sohier

I just tried the BIOS, however, the BIOS is only shown on the laptop
screen. Not to a attached screen via HDMI or VGA (Both dont work, just a
empty screen ).

I dont think the hardware can be blamed really, as it works on a
different TV correctly.

The used card is a intergrated GPU in my i5. (According to lspci:
paul@paul-laptop:~$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor DRAM Controller
(rev 18)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor
Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 18)

)

Paul.

Archive: 4D0CDB03.5050202@paulscripts.nl">http://lists.debian.org/4D0CDB03.5050202@paulscripts.nl

Old 12-18-2010, 04:37 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 17:02:11 +0100, Paul Sohier wrote:

> I just tried the BIOS, however, the BIOS is only shown on the laptop
> screen. Not to a attached screen via HDMI or VGA (Both dont work, just a
> empty screen ).

Oh, how bad you cannot select the video output at booting.

> I dont think the hardware can be blamed really, as it works on a
> different TV correctly.

I've seem many weird things when it comes to cables, displays and VGA
cards, meaning that using a concrete combination of those can lead to
unforeseen results (it would be nice if you can reproduce the same
behaviour using VGA-to-VGA cable if both, TV and laptop have such input/
output connector).

> The used card is a intergrated GPU in my i5. (According to lspci:
> paul@paul-laptop:~$ lspci
> 00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor DRAM Controller
> (rev 18)
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor
> Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 18) )

A Google search gives this result:

[Intel-gfx] H55 chipset and KMS with HDMI/VGA
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/intel-gfx/2010-October/008315.html

Not sure if that is your case but the symptoms look similar :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 12-18-2010, 04:49 PM
Paul Sohier

That indeed seems to be the same issue as iam having. I will try to
recompile my kernel tomorrow morning, to if that fixes it.

Thanks already, and I will let you know if it did work.

Paul.

Archive: 4D0CF417.1010106@paulscripts.nl">http://lists.debian.org/4D0CF417.1010106@paulscripts.nl

Old 12-19-2010, 08:34 AM
Paul Sohier

Hi,

I just compiled a new kernel last night, and it does indeed work.
Should I report this as bug to the kernel in Debian?

Paul.