FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-18-2010, 04:06 AM
Dietrich Bollmann
 
Default dual monitor setup fails (xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default; warning: output LVDS not found; ignoring; warning: output VGA not found; ignoring)

Hi,

Since a couple of weeks my dual monitor setup fails:

# xrandr --output LVDS --output VGA --right-of LVDS --primary

xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
warning: output LVDS not found; ignoring
warning: output VGA not found; ignoring

xrand without parameters produces the following output:

# xrandr

xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Screen 0: minimum 640 x 480, current 1280 x 1024, maximum 1280 x 1024
default connected 1280x1024+0+0 0mm x 0mm
1280x1024 0.0*
1024x768 0.0
800x600 0.0
640x480 0.0

What can I do?

Thanks, Dietrich

---
I use debian sid on an IBM X60s laptop

# lspci -nn | grep VGA

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Mobile
945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:27a2]
(rev 03)

I erased the /etc/X11/xorg.conf as x windows didn't start anymore and
this was the only way I found to make it start again and get back to
work. Trying after to reconfigure xserver-xorg with
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
didn't recreate /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Could this be related?




--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1292648785.10966.37.camel@pippi.pippi">http://lists.debian.org/1292648785.10966.37.camel@pippi.pippi
 
Old 12-18-2010, 02:17 PM
Camaleón
 
Default dual monitor setup fails (xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default; warning: output LVDS not found; ignoring; warning: output VGA not found; ignoring)

On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 14:06:25 +0900, Dietrich Bollmann wrote:

> Since a couple of weeks my dual monitor setup fails:
>
> # xrandr --output LVDS --output VGA --right-of LVDS --primary
>
> xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default warning: output
> LVDS not found; ignoring warning: output VGA not found; ignoring

Review your "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" file to find out what outputs is
detecting Xorg. You can also run "xrandr -q" to discover what is
connected.

Note that LVDS and VGA names can be different if you are using a KMS
enabled intel video driver (LVDS1/VGA1).

> xrand without parameters produces the following output:
>
> # xrandr
>
> xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default Screen 0: minimum
> 640 x 480, current 1280 x 1024, maximum 1280 x 1024 default connected
> 1280x1024+0+0 0mm x 0mm
> 1280x1024 0.0*
> 1024x768 0.0
> 800x600 0.0
> 640x480 0.0
>
> What can I do?

It seems the external display is not being detected. Your xorg log should
contain more data.

> I erased the /etc/X11/xorg.conf as x windows didn't start anymore and
> this was the only way I found to make it start again and get back to
> work. Trying after to reconfigure xserver-xorg with
> dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
> didn't recreate /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Could this be related?

locate xorg.conf

After running the above command ("dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg"), your
"xorg.conf" file should be created under root's home (/root/
xorg.conf.new), if you want to make use of it, you'll have to move it to
the right folder.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2010.12.18.15.17.54@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2010.12.18.15.17.54@gmail.com
 
Old 12-24-2010, 06:19 AM
Dietrich Bollmann
 
Default dual monitor setup fails (xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default; warning: output LVDS not found; ignoring; warning: output VGA not found; ignoring)

Hi Camaleón,

Thanks for you help

> On Sat, 2010-12-18 at 15:17 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> > On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 14:06:25 +0900, Dietrich Bollmann wrote:
> >
> > Since a couple of weeks my dual monitor setup fails:
> >
> > # xrandr --output LVDS --output VGA --right-of LVDS --primary
> >
> > xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default warning:
output
> > LVDS not found; ignoring warning: output VGA not found; ignoring
>
> Review your "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" file to find out what outputs is
> detecting Xorg. You can also run "xrandr -q" to discover what is
> connected.

Here some lines from the beginning:

...
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Fri Dec 24 15:43:27 2010
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(==) No Layout section. Using the first Screen section.
(==) No screen section available. Using defaults.
(**) |-->Screen "Default Screen Section" (0)
(**) | |-->Monitor "<default monitor>"
(==) No monitor specified for screen "Default Screen Section".
Using a default monitor configuration.
(==) Automatically adding devices
(==) Automatically enabling devices
...

and here the result of trying to find something relevant with egrep:

egrep '(!!|WW|EE|NI|??)' /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Current Operating System: Linux pippi 2.6.33.7-rt29-1-686 #1 SMP PREEMPT
RT Tue Aug 3 17:42:24 UTC 2010 i686
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does not exist.
(II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
(WW) Falling back to old probe method for fbdev
(EE) open /dev/fb0: No such file or directory
(WW) VESA(0): Unable to estimate virtual size

ls -la /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d

total 20
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Dec 11 11:58 .
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 4096 Dec 11 12:06 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1099 Dec 2 09:15 10-evdev.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 661 Apr 18 2010 20-wacom.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 127 Apr 18 2010 50-synaptics.conf

Can you give me a hint for what I should search for in the xorg log?

By myself I couldn't find anything interesting...

xrandr -q

gives the following output:

xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Screen 0: minimum 640 x 480, current 1280 x 1024, maximum 1280 x 1024
default connected 1280x1024+0+0 0mm x 0mm
1280x1024 0.0*
1024x768 0.0
800x600 0.0
640x480 0.0

> Note that LVDS and VGA names can be different if you are using a KMS
> enabled intel video driver (LVDS1/VGA1).
>
> > xrand without parameters produces the following output:
> >
> > # xrandr
> >
> > xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default Screen 0:
minimum
> > 640 x 480, current 1280 x 1024, maximum 1280 x 1024 default
connected
> > 1280x1024+0+0 0mm x 0mm
> > 1280x1024 0.0*
> > 1024x768 0.0
> > 800x600 0.0
> > 640x480 0.0
> >
> > What can I do?
>
> It seems the external display is not being detected. Your xorg log
should
> contain more data.

Thanks. What kind of data could that be?

> > I erased the /etc/X11/xorg.conf as x windows didn't start anymore
and
> > this was the only way I found to make it start again and get back to
> > work. Trying after to reconfigure xserver-xorg with
> > dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
> > didn't recreate /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Could this be related?
>
> locate xorg.conf

locate xorg.conf

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.20080418064505
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.20080418064650
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.20080418075252
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.20090513151200
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.20090514131411
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.20090514131504
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.bu-2009-05-14
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.bu2010
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-wacom.conf
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf
/usr/share/xresprobe/xorg.conf

The file
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.bu2010
is my backup from my last configuration which stopped to work, producing
the following error:

Failed to start the X server (your graphical interface).
It is likely that it is not set up correctly. ...

The only way I found was to delete /etc/X11/xorg.conf ...

Here its content:

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bu2010 | egrep -v '^#|^s*$'

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
SubSection "Display"
Virtual 2048 2048
EndSubSection
EndSection
Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen "Default Screen"
EndSection

I remember to have read somewhere, that /etc/X11/xorg.conf is not used
anymore as the configuration is dynamically generated. Is that true?
wrong? Should I try to regenerate it? If so, how? dpkg-reconfigure
xserver-xorg seems to not do anything at all...

But now only the external screen works - and in my office, the screen
resolution is too low resulting in a horrible presentation

> After running the above command ("dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg"),
your
> "xorg.conf" file should be created under root's home (/root/
> xorg.conf.new), if you want to make use of it, you'll have to move it
to
> the right folder.

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

seems to create nothing at all

find /root | grep -i xorg

...no output...

ls -la /etc/X11/xorg.conf*

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3321 Apr 18
2008 /etc/X11/xorg.conf.20080418064505
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3321 Apr 18
2008 /etc/X11/xorg.conf.20080418064650
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4425 Apr 18
2008 /etc/X11/xorg.conf.20080418075252
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3887 May 13
2009 /etc/X11/xorg.conf.20090513151200
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3888 May 14
2009 /etc/X11/xorg.conf.20090514131411
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 682 May 14
2009 /etc/X11/xorg.conf.20090514131504
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3888 May 14
2009 /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bu-2009-05-14
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 3267 May 14 2009 /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bu2010

Thanks for your help,

Dietrich


> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón
>
>
>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1293175177.8726.31.camel@pippi.pippi">http://lists.debian.org/1293175177.8726.31.camel@pippi.pippi
 
Old 12-27-2010, 11:48 AM
Camaleón
 
Default dual monitor setup fails (xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default; warning: output LVDS not found; ignoring; warning: output VGA not found; ignoring)

On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 16:19:37 +0900, Dietrich Bollmann wrote:

>> On Sat, 2010-12-18 at 15:17 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> > On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 14:06:25 +0900, Dietrich Bollmann wrote:
>> >
>> > Since a couple of weeks my dual monitor setup fails:
>> >
>> > # xrandr --output LVDS --output VGA --right-of LVDS --primary
>> >
>> > xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default warning:
> output
>> > LVDS not found; ignoring warning: output VGA not found; ignoring
>>
>> Review your "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" file to find out what outputs is
>> detecting Xorg. You can also run "xrandr -q" to discover what is
>> connected.
>
> Here some lines from the beginning:

(...)

Better if you upload the whole file ("/var/log/Xorg.0.log") to any online
service, like www.pastebin.com so we can take a deep look.

> ls -la /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d

(...)

Nothing to look here :-)

> Can you give me a hint for what I should search for in the xorg log?

You should search for any indication that Xorg server is detecting your
second screen. But better put the whole file online, do not remove nor
trim nothing.

> By myself I couldn't find anything interesting...
>
> xrandr -q
>
> gives the following output:
>
> xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default Screen 0: minimum
> 640 x 480, current 1280 x 1024, maximum 1280 x 1024 default connected
> 1280x1024+0+0 0mm x 0mm
> 1280x1024 0.0*
> 1024x768 0.0
> 800x600 0.0
> 640x480 0.0

Should you have an additional (and properly detected) display, your
"xrandr -q" should also be aware of it, which does not seem to be the
case :-?

>> It seems the external display is not being detected. Your xorg log
> should
>> contain more data.
>
> Thanks. What kind of data could that be?

Something about LVDS and VGA inputs, for instance.

>> > I erased the /etc/X11/xorg.conf as x windows didn't start anymore
> and
>> > this was the only way I found to make it start again and get back to
>> > work. Trying after to reconfigure xserver-xorg with
>> > dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
>> > didn't recreate /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Could this be related?
>>
>> locate xorg.conf
>
> locate xorg.conf
>
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.20080418064505
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.20080418064650
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.20080418075252
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.20090513151200
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.20090514131411
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.20090514131504
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bu-2009-05-14
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bu2010
> /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d
> /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf
> /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-wacom.conf
> /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf
> /usr/share/xresprobe/xorg.conf

You are currently not using any "xorg.conf" file.

> The file
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bu2010
> is my backup from my last configuration which stopped to work, producing
> the following error:
>
> Failed to start the X server (your graphical interface). It is likely
> that it is not set up correctly. ...
>
> The only way I found was to delete /etc/X11/xorg.conf ...

Yes, no xorg.conf should be needed at all, at least in Squeeze.

> Here its content:
>
> cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bu2010 | egrep -v '^#|^s*$'
>
> Section "Device"
> Identifier "Configured Video Device"
> EndSection
> Section "Screen"
> Identifier "Default Screen"
> SubSection "Display"
> Virtual 2048 2048
> EndSubSection
> EndSection
> Section "ServerLayout"
> Identifier "Default Layout"
> Screen "Default Screen"
> EndSection
>
> I remember to have read somewhere, that /etc/X11/xorg.conf is not used
> anymore as the configuration is dynamically generated. Is that true?
> wrong? Should I try to regenerate it? If so, how? dpkg-reconfigure
> xserver-xorg seems to not do anything at all...

True, Xorg server should be automatically configured and no static file
needed anymore, just in a few cases when autodetection fails or when you
want to use some specifics.

> But now only the external screen works - and in my office, the screen
> resolution is too low resulting in a horrible presentation

Let's see your log file. Maybe you are giving "xrandr" the bad
parameters :-?

>> After running the above command ("dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg"),
> your
>> "xorg.conf" file should be created under root's home (/root/
>> xorg.conf.new), if you want to make use of it, you'll have to move it
> to
>> the right folder.
>
> dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
>
> seems to create nothing at all
>
> find /root | grep -i xorg
>
> ...no output...

(...)

***
What if I do not have an xorg config file?
http://wiki.debian.org/Xorg
***

Maybe you can try with "Xorg -configure".

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2010.12.27.12.48.00@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2010.12.27.12.48.00@gmail.com
 
Old 12-27-2010, 12:51 PM
Dietrich Bollmann
 
Default dual monitor setup fails (xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default; warning: output LVDS not found; ignoring; warning: output VGA not found; ignoring)

Hi Camaleón,

I am very grateful for your engagement and help!
People like you make the Open Source world such an enjoyable experience!

On Mon, 2010-12-27 at 12:48 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> Better if you upload the whole file ("/var/log/Xorg.0.log") to any online
> service, like www.pastebin.com so we can take a deep look.

Here it is: http://pastebin.com/UCzMjMb2

> Let's see your log file. Maybe you are giving "xrandr" the bad
> parameters :-?

It used to work before - so I don't think that the parameters are the
problem. Rather I fear that it was introduced by some update of my
system.

Curious to know, what kind of information in the log is relevant...

Thanks again, Dietrich


> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón
>
>



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1293457882.7141.17.camel@pippi.pippi">http://lists.debian.org/1293457882.7141.17.camel@pippi.pippi
 
Old 12-27-2010, 01:26 PM
Camaleón
 
Default dual monitor setup fails (xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default; warning: output LVDS not found; ignoring; warning: output VGA not found; ignoring)

On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 22:51:22 +0900, Dietrich Bollmann wrote:

> Hi Camaleón,
>
> I am very grateful for your engagement and help! People like you make
> the Open Source world such an enjoyable experience!

Trying to help others is the best way for learning :-)

> On Mon, 2010-12-27 at 12:48 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> Better if you upload the whole file ("/var/log/Xorg.0.log") to any
>> online service, like www.pastebin.com so we can take a deep look.
>
> Here it is: http://pastebin.com/UCzMjMb2

Thanks!

Hum... let me extract some entries I think are relevant:

***
(--) PCI:*(0:0:2:0) 8086:27a2:17aa:201a Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/
GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller rev 3, Mem @
0xee100000/524288, 0xd0000000/268435456, 0xee200000/262144, I/O @
0x00001800/8

(II) VESA(0): Analog Display Input, Input Voltage Level: 0.700/0.700 V

(--) VESA(0): Virtual size is 1280x1024 (pitch 1280)
***

1/ It seems you are using an Intel card
2/ As per my understanding, only one output is being detected
3/ Screen size is set to 1280x1024

Okay, the first problem I see here is that Xorg is loading "VESA" driver,
while it should use the "intel" one.

The second problem is that Xorg is detecting only one display, instead
the two ones (laptop/LCD? and external) but maybe this is a consequence
of the driver in use :-?

Are you booting the system with both displays attached and powered on?

I would first ensure your kernel has KMS enabled, which should be the
default while using a stock Debian kernel. I said this because of the
recent posts about this same issue just some days ago:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2010/12/msg01239.html

Let's see if Sven has any tip for you :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2010.12.27.14.26.50@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2010.12.27.14.26.50@gmail.com
 
Old 12-28-2010, 01:28 PM
Dietrich Bollmann
 
Default dual monitor setup fails (xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default; warning: output LVDS not found; ignoring; warning: output VGA not found; ignoring)

Hi Camaleón,

On Mon, 2010-12-27 at 14:26 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 22:51:22 +0900, Dietrich Bollmann wrote:
>
> > Hi Camaleón,
> >
> > I am very grateful for your engagement and help! People like you make
> > the Open Source world such an enjoyable experience!
>
> Trying to help others is the best way for learning :-)

True! But as it is a lot of fun to spend time with those who enjoy
learning, this is just another reason why people like you make the Open
Source world so enjoyable

> > On Mon, 2010-12-27 at 12:48 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> I would first ensure your kernel has KMS enabled, which should be the
> default while using a stock Debian kernel. I said this because of the
> recent posts about this same issue just some days ago:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2010/12/msg01239.html
>
> Let's see if Sven has any tip for you :-)

Good guess: You solved my problem!

I love to play around with audio applications and therefore use a
realtime kernel... As unfortunately there are no precompiled realtime
kernels for Debian, I used to compile my own ones until I found those
from pengutronix...

Booting the regular Debian kernel made both screens work again

Finally I can use my two monitors again

Thank you very much for your help!!!

Greetings, Dietrich


> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón
>
>



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1293546513.4093.18.camel@pippi.pippi">http://lists.debian.org/1293546513.4093.18.camel@pippi.pippi
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:31 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org