-   -   Question about /etc/fstab in Squeeze (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/467023-question-about-etc-fstab-squeeze.html)

Paul E Condon 12-17-2010 03:39 PM

Question about /etc/fstab in Squeeze

The /etc/fstab that is installed by the Debian installer
in Squeeze contains the following comment lines:

# Use 'vol_id --uuid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).

What is 'vol_id' ? The context suggests that it is an executable
program that is run from the command line, but there is no such object
in the search PATH. And man 5 fstab brings up a man page that does not
contain the sting, vol_id. How do I use the information that this
comment seems to attempt to convey? Is the string, vol_id --uuid,
intended as the argument to some other program? What is the name of
that other program?

TIA

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net

Bob Proulx 12-17-2010 11:02 PM

Paul E Condon wrote:
> The /etc/fstab that is installed by the Debian installer
> in Squeeze contains the following comment lines:
>
> # Use 'vol_id --uuid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
> # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
> # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
>
> What is 'vol_id' ?

That is the old way. It was superseded by 'blkid'. That comment must
have been left behind and not updated. Instead of running vol_id
--uuid try running blkid.

man blkid

If that comment is still occurring on a fresh installation then it
warrants a bug report to get it updated.

> The context suggests that it is an executable program that is run
> from the command line, but there is no such object in the search
> PATH.

IIRC that came through the Ubuntu path and would have existed there in
/lib/udev/vol_id but now for all uses you want to map that to blkid.

Bob

Hugo Vanwoerkom 12-18-2010 03:01 PM

Bob Proulx wrote:

Paul E Condon wrote:

[...]

That brings up a question: that mapping of device-label-uuid which blkid
does, is that available in another way or is blkid the only tool that
does that?

Hugo

Archive: ieiltf$i16$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/ieiltf$i16$1@dough.gmane.org

Bob Proulx 12-18-2010 05:26 PM

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Paul E Condon wrote:
> > > What is 'vol_id' ?
> >
> > That is the old way. It was superseded by 'blkid'. That comment must
> > have been left behind and not updated. Instead of running vol_id
> > --uuid try running blkid.
> >
> > man blkid
>
> That brings up a question: that mapping of device-label-uuid which
> blkid does, is that available in another way or is blkid the only
> tool that does that?

You can get it from udev with:

ls -log /dev/disk/by-uuid

Bob

Hugo Vanwoerkom 12-18-2010 08:26 PM

Bob Proulx wrote:

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

Bob Proulx wrote:

Paul E Condon wrote:

What is 'vol_id' ?

That is the old way. It was superseded by 'blkid'. That comment must
have been left behind and not updated. Instead of running vol_id
--uuid try running blkid.

man blkid

That brings up a question: that mapping of device-label-uuid which
blkid does, is that available in another way or is blkid the only
tool that does that?

You can get it from udev with:

ls -log /dev/disk/by-uuid

and /dev/disk/by-label. Of course. Thanks!

Hugo

Archive: iej8u6$un$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/iej8u6$un$1@dough.gmane.org

Bob Proulx 12-18-2010 09:19 PM

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > ls -log /dev/disk/by-uuid
>
> and /dev/disk/by-label. Of course. Thanks!

/dev/disk/by-label ?? What kernel are you running?

$ ls -log /dev/disk/
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 1240 Dec 16 11:26 by-id
drwxr-xr-x 2 380 Dec 16 11:26 by-path
drwxr-xr-x 2 200 Dec 16 11:26 by-uuid

That is for both Lenny and Squeeze.

Bob

"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." 12-19-2010 07:51 AM

In <20101218221908.GA5350@hysteria.proulx.com>, Bob Proulx wrote:
>Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>> Bob Proulx wrote:
>> > ls -log /dev/disk/by-uuid
>>
>> and /dev/disk/by-label. Of course. Thanks!
>
>/dev/disk/by-label ?? What kernel are you running?

$ ls /dev/disk
by-id by-label by-path by-uuid
$ uname -a
Linux monster 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Fri Dec 10 15:35:08 UTC 2010 x86_64
GNU/Linux

(I'm on mostly Squeeze;
stable+security+volatile+multimedia/lenny(winehq)/lenny-
backports/testing+security+multimedia/squeeze(winehq)/unstable+multimedia/sid(winehq)/experimental
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Camaleón 12-19-2010 11:46 AM

On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 15:19:08 -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>> Bob Proulx wrote:
>> > ls -log /dev/disk/by-uuid
>>
>> and /dev/disk/by-label. Of course. Thanks!
>
> /dev/disk/by-label ?? What kernel are you running?
>
> $ ls -log /dev/disk/
> total 0
> drwxr-xr-x 2 1240 Dec 16 11:26 by-id
> drwxr-xr-x 2 380 Dec 16 11:26 by-path
> drwxr-xr-x 2 200 Dec 16 11:26 by-uuid
>
> That is for both Lenny and Squeeze.

Yes, "by-label" (lenny, kernel 2.6.26-2-amd64):

sm01@stt008:~$ ls -log /dev/disk/
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 280 dic 19 10:58 by-id
drwxr-xr-x 2 80 dic 19 10:58 by-label
drwxr-xr-x 2 180 dic 19 10:58 by-path
drwxr-xr-x 2 100 dic 19 10:58 by-uuid

If you have not label defined for any volume, the node won't be
automatically created.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Stephen Powell 12-19-2010 12:09 PM

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 03:51:28 -0500 (EST), Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> In <20101218221908.GA5350@hysteria.proulx.com>, Bob Proulx wrote:
>> Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>>>
>>> and /dev/disk/by-label. Of course. Thanks!
>>
>> /dev/disk/by-label ?? What kernel are you running?
>
> $ ls /dev/disk
> by-id by-label by-path by-uuid
> $ uname -a
> Linux monster 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Fri Dec 10 15:35:08 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux

/dev is a pseudo file system created by udev. Under ordinary conditions,
no data in it persists across reboots. I suspect that udev does not create
a /dev/by-label directory unless it detects a disk partition with a label
during boot.

Perhaps none of Bob's partitions are labeled? A label is optional, both for
mkswap and mke2fs. And if the partitioning/formatting is done by the Debian
installer, there may not be any labels. A label can be added after the fact
with e2label, or an inactive swap partition can be reformatted by mkswap with
a label specified. blkid will list the label, if there is one.

Caution: reformatting a swap partition with mkswap will change the
uuid unless the existing one is explicitly re-specified during formatting.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Bob Proulx 12-19-2010 05:51 PM

Stephen Powell wrote:
> /dev is a pseudo file system created by udev. Under ordinary conditions,
> no data in it persists across reboots. I suspect that udev does not create
> a /dev/by-label directory unless it detects a disk partition with a label
> during boot.
>
> Perhaps none of Bob's partitions are labeled?

Good call. I never use labels. That explains it.

In my case I almost universially use raid and lvm and both of those
use UUIDs internally. Meaning that although I never specify those
long uuids anywhere I get the benefit of them along with short device
names by default. Which is better than a label. But I wanted to say
that I wasn't against labels so much as being for raid and lvm.

Bob