FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-04-2008, 08:34 AM
Ron Johnson
 
Default mailfilter (was missing /var/mail)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 02/04/08 01:54, Chris Bannister wrote:
[snip]
>
> example from .mailfilter:
>
> DEFAULT=$HOME/Mail/IN-personal/
>
> if (/^X-Loop: debian-user@lists.debian.org$/)
> {
> to "$HOME/Mail/IN-debian-user/"
> }
>
> Notice the slash after IN-debian-user and IN-personal

Are you using Maildir?

This is how it has to look when you drop email into Maildir:

if ( /^Subject: -- Spam --/ )
{
to "Maildir/.Spam"
}

if ( /^X-Mailing-List:.*<debian-user@lists.debian.org>*/ )
{
to "Maildir/.Lists.Debian.User.2008q1"
}


- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFHptwJS9HxQb37XmcRAtfmAKCoxYm2u72np5/6f6N2KOeRS3Xf/wCgjBD7
fIRdiH/fO802Nessd7bVvZk=
=FnXM
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-07-2008, 10:14 PM
Michelle Konzack
 
Default mailfilter (was missing /var/mail)

Am 2008-02-04 03:34:01, schrieb Ron Johnson:
> On 02/04/08 01:54, Chris Bannister wrote:
> > example from .mailfilter:
> >
> > DEFAULT=$HOME/Mail/IN-personal/
> >
> > if (/^X-Loop: debian-user@lists.debian.org$/)
> > {
> > to "$HOME/Mail/IN-debian-user/"
> > }

This is working, but...

> > Notice the slash after IN-debian-user and IN-personal
^^^^^
> Are you using Maildir?

He use it and you have cute the sentence where he has written it

> This is how it has to look when you drop email into Maildir:
>
> if ( /^Subject: -- Spam --/ )
> {
> to "Maildir/.Spam"
^^
> }
>
> if ( /^X-Mailing-List:.*<debian-user@lists.debian.org>*/ )
> {
> to "Maildir/.Lists.Debian.User.2008q1"
^^
> }

This is producing a Mailbox here instead of a Maildir. :-)


Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
Michelle Konzack
Systemadministrator
Tamay Dogan Network
Debian GNU/Linux Consultant


--
Linux-User #280138 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org/
##################### Debian GNU/Linux Consultant #####################
Michelle Konzack Apt. 917 ICQ #328449886
50, rue de Soultz MSN LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193 67100 Strasbourg/France IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)
 
Old 02-08-2008, 10:41 PM
Chris Bannister
 
Default mailfilter (was missing /var/mail)

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 03:34:01AM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> On 02/04/08 01:54, Chris Bannister wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > example from .mailfilter:
> >
> > DEFAULT=$HOME/Mail/IN-personal/
> >
> > if (/^X-Loop: debian-user@lists.debian.org$/)
> > {
> > to "$HOME/Mail/IN-debian-user/"
> > }
> >
> > Notice the slash after IN-debian-user and IN-personal
>
> Are you using Maildir?

Yep.


> This is how it has to look when you drop email into Maildir:

Has to?

> if ( /^Subject: -- Spam --/ )
^^^^^^^^^^^^^[1]
> {
> to "Maildir/.Spam"
> }

The Directory is immaterial, I have mine in $HOME/Mail/

also:
ls -al Mail/IN-debian-user/
total 132
drwx------ 5 chrisb staff 4096 2007-09-23 08:30 .
drwx------ 117 chrisb staff 4096 2008-02-03 19:54 ..
drwx------ 2 chrisb staff 45056 2008-02-05 02:15 cur
drwx------ 2 chrisb staff 73728 2008-02-08 22:59 new
drwx------ 2 chrisb staff 4096 2008-02-08 22:59 tmp


And since "Mail/IN-debian-user/" is a directory and not a file then I see
"Mail/IN-debian-user/" rather than "Mail/IN-debian-user" being more
correct.

> if ( /^X-Mailing-List:.*<debian-user@lists.debian.org>*/ )
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^[2]

> {
> to "Maildir/.Lists.Debian.User.2008q1"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Is that a nested directory structure, or one directory?
> }
>

My setup is working perfectly.

[1] Why are you escaping the '-' here but ...
[2] not here?

--
Chris.
======


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-09-2008, 01:56 PM
Ron Johnson
 
Default mailfilter (was missing /var/mail)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 02/08/08 17:41, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 03:34:01AM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>> Hash: SHA1
>>
>> On 02/04/08 01:54, Chris Bannister wrote:
>> [snip]
>>> example from .mailfilter:
>>>
>>> DEFAULT=$HOME/Mail/IN-personal/
>>>
>>> if (/^X-Loop: debian-user@lists.debian.org$/)
>>> {
>>> to "$HOME/Mail/IN-debian-user/"
>>> }
>>>
>>> Notice the slash after IN-debian-user and IN-personal
>> Are you using Maildir?
>
> Yep.
>
>
>> This is how it has to look when you drop email into Maildir:
>
> Has to?

You're right.

>> if ( /^Subject: -- Spam --/ )
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^[1]
>> {
>> to "Maildir/.Spam"
>> }
>
> The Directory is immaterial, I have mine in $HOME/Mail/
>
> also:
> ls -al Mail/IN-debian-user/
> total 132
> drwx------ 5 chrisb staff 4096 2007-09-23 08:30 .
> drwx------ 117 chrisb staff 4096 2008-02-03 19:54 ..
> drwx------ 2 chrisb staff 45056 2008-02-05 02:15 cur
> drwx------ 2 chrisb staff 73728 2008-02-08 22:59 new
> drwx------ 2 chrisb staff 4096 2008-02-08 22:59 tmp

More assuming on my part. It's been 3 years since I started using
Maildir and courier-imap, but IIRC, maildirmake defaults to Maildir
as the "main" location. Or the web page that I based my work off of
did...

> And since "Mail/IN-debian-user/" is a directory and not a file then I see
> "Mail/IN-debian-user/" rather than "Mail/IN-debian-user" being more
> correct.
>
>> if ( /^X-Mailing-List:.*<debian-user@lists.debian.org>*/ )
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^[2]
>
>> {
>> to "Maildir/.Lists.Debian.User.2008q1"
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Is that a nested directory structure, or one directory?
>> }

Yes. According to /man maildirmake/, Maildir doesn't "do" sub-
directories, but it emulates them with these dotted directory names
all in Maildir/.

Similarly, if from an MUA I create a nested IMAP folder,
courier-imap also creates this kind of dotted directory name.

>
> My setup is working perfectly.
>
> [1] Why are you escaping the '-' here but ...
> [2] not here?

For some reason, maildrop multiple dashes didn't seem to like
multiple dashes.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFHrb8dS9HxQb37XmcRAiG8AJ9t84SZYkVfzEXzTWUnpm GPNyTdAQCffmBM
VLBSym+IZ203F5nsRLuNvns=
=Bo9g
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-09-2008, 04:48 PM
Michelle Konzack
 
Default mailfilter (was missing /var/mail)

Am 2008-02-09 12:41:09, schrieb Chris Bannister:
> On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 03:34:01AM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > This is how it has to look when you drop email into Maildir:
>
> Has to?
>
> > if ( /^Subject: -- Spam --/ )
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^[1]
> > {
> > to "Maildir/.Spam"
> > }
>
> The Directory is immaterial, I have mine in $HOME/Mail/

And if he is using Courier? -- ${HOME}/Maildir would be the right one.

and of course, the path should be: Maildir/.Spam/


> And since "Mail/IN-debian-user/" is a directory and not a file then I see
> "Mail/IN-debian-user/" rather than "Mail/IN-debian-user" being more
> correct.

Right.

> > if ( /^X-Mailing-List:.*<debian-user@lists.debian.org>*/ )
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^[2]

Right, it should be escaped...

>
> > {
> > to "Maildir/.Lists.Debian.User.2008q1"
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Is that a nested directory structure, or one directory?

This is the courier directory structure.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
Michelle Konzack
Systemadministrator
Tamay Dogan Network
Debian GNU/Linux Consultant


--
Linux-User #280138 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org/
##################### Debian GNU/Linux Consultant #####################
Michelle Konzack Apt. 917 ICQ #328449886
50, rue de Soultz MSN LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193 67100 Strasbourg/France IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)
 
Old 02-11-2008, 08:06 AM
Chris Bannister
 
Default mailfilter (was missing /var/mail)

On Sat, Feb 09, 2008 at 08:56:29AM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> More assuming on my part. It's been 3 years since I started using
> Maildir and courier-imap, but IIRC, maildirmake defaults to Maildir
> as the "main" location. Or the web page that I based my work off of
> did...

It is changeable in /etc/courier/imapd, but yeah, the default is
Maildir. [1]

It is unfortunate that the folder is called Maildir and the format is
also called maildir. I think that may have already caused confusion.

> For some reason, maildrop multiple dashes didn't seem to like
> multiple dashes.

Weird.

[1] I am *not* using courier-imap on this laptop, so don't confuse this
with my other messages in this thread.

--
Chris.
======


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-11-2008, 01:01 PM
Ron Johnson
 
Default mailfilter (was missing /var/mail)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 02/11/08 03:06, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 09, 2008 at 08:56:29AM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
>> More assuming on my part. It's been 3 years since I started using
>> Maildir and courier-imap, but IIRC, maildirmake defaults to Maildir
>> as the "main" location. Or the web page that I based my work off of
>> did...
>
> It is changeable in /etc/courier/imapd, but yeah, the default is
> Maildir. [1]
>
> It is unfortunate that the folder is called Maildir and the format is
> also called maildir. I think that may have already caused confusion.

Eris rules!

>> For some reason, maildrop multiple dashes didn't seem to like
>> multiple dashes.
>
> Weird.
>
> [1] I am *not* using courier-imap on this laptop, so don't confuse this
> with my other messages in this thread.
>


- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFHsFUfS9HxQb37XmcRAjTNAKDoOjMTv0o6bxCnXRhyKn LNmF02LQCglqFa
BdDaN77aQ39uSAWch0bVaUg=
=6Os5
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:22 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org