Old 12-17-2010, 04:38 AM
Peter Tenenbaum

Default Wireless internet for squeeze desktop

Hi, everyone --

In the near future I need to change the network setup for my desktop squeeze workstation so that it uses a wireless internet connection (it's using the ethernet spigot right now).* Can anyone suggest a wireless card or wireless USB adaptor which has good compatibility / support in squeeze?*

Thanks in advance,
-PT

Old 12-17-2010, 06:31 AM
George

Did you check the wiki? http://wiki.debian.org/WiFi#InstallDriver

Old 12-17-2010, 07:42 AM
shawn wilson

>> Can anyone suggest a wireless card or wireless
>> USB adaptor which has good compatibility / support in squeeze?
>
> Did you check the wiki? http://wiki.debian.org/WiFi#InstallDriver

i second the wiki. however, if you don't mind its size, the alfa
802.11b/g long-range wireless usb adapter is great. it has a chipset
that everyone supports, can be put into monitor (promiscuous) mode, is
5 watts (to fry your brain quicker), has a sma (??) connector to hook
up another antenna to it. and this thing takes a beating. it was ~$35
USD when i got it about a year ago.

besides, if you're like everyone else i know, you've got the back of
your computer facing a wall. this means, when you shove a wireless
card in your computer, you've got the antenna for it butt up against
the wall too - not good.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:46 PM
Celejar

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 03:42:15 -0500
shawn wilson <ag4ve.us@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Can anyone suggest a wireless card or wireless
> >> USB adaptor which has good compatibility / support in squeeze?
> >
> > Did you check the wiki? http://wiki.debian.org/WiFi#InstallDriver
>
> i second the wiki. however, if you don't mind its size, the alfa
> 802.11b/g long-range wireless usb adapter is great. it has a chipset
> that everyone supports, can be put into monitor (promiscuous) mode, is
> 5 watts (to fry your brain quicker), has a sma (??) connector to hook
> up another antenna to it. and this thing takes a beating. it was ~$35
> USD when i got it about a year ago.
>
> besides, if you're like everyone else i know, you've got the back of
> your computer facing a wall. this means, when you shove a wireless
> card in your computer, you've got the antenna for it butt up against
> the wall too - not good.

Many (most?) systems have front-facing or side USB ports.

Celejar

Old 12-17-2010, 01:53 PM
Celejar

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 21:38:35 -0800
Peter Tenenbaum <peter.g.tenenbaum@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, everyone --
>
> In the near future I need to change the network setup for my desktop squeeze
> workstation so that it uses a wireless internet connection (it's using the
> ethernet spigot right now). Can anyone suggest a wireless card or wireless
> USB adaptor which has good compatibility / support in squeeze?

I've used an AZiO AWU254 - it has a Ralink chipset, supported by
in-kernel drivers. I think it's been discontinued, though.

This is a great resource:

http://linux-wless.passys.nl/

Celejar

Old 12-17-2010, 02:21 PM