Old 12-19-2010, 06:46 PM
Paul Cartwright

Default Spontaneously aborting X startup during Linux boot process

On 12/19/2010 02:09 PM, Bob Proulx wrote:
>> tty) I use "init 1". I don't think that "init s" would work - but you are
>> > probably about to tell me that it would. ;-)
> Yes. I am going to say, "It should work." :-)
>
> Personally I wouldn't move from multiuser to single user directly. I
> would always reboot first and then boot into single user mode. Then
> when leaving single user mode reboot into multiple user mode. That
> way is very well tested. Doing other things /should/ work but I
> wouldn't be surprised to find interesting corner cases. It is
> definitely the road less well traveled.

man init:
/sbin/init [ -a ] [ -s ] [ -b ] [ -z xxx ] [ 0123456Ss ]
/sbin/telinit [ -t SECONDS ] [ 0123456sSQqabcUu ]
RUNLEVELS
A runlevel is a software configuration of the system which
allows only
a selected group of processes to exist. The processes spawned by
init
for each of these runlevels are defined in the /etc/inittab file.
Init
can be in one of eight runlevels: 0-6 and S (a.k.a. s). The
runlevel

Runlevels S, 0, 1, and 6 are reserved. Runlevel S is used to initial-
ize the system on boot. When starting runlevel S (on boot) or
runlevel
1 (switching from a multi-user runlevel) the system is entering
``single-user mode', after which the current runlevel is S. Runlevel
0 is used to halt the system; runlevel 6 is used to reboot the system.
After booting through S the system automatically enters one of the
multi-user runlevels 2 through 5, unless there was some problem that
needs to be fixed by the administrator in single-user mode. Normally
after entering single-user mode the administrator performs maintenance
and then reboots the system.

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

Old 12-19-2010, 10:02 PM
Lisi

On Sunday 19 December 2010 19:09:46 Bob Proulx wrote:
> *I don't think that "init s" would work - but you are
>
> > probably about to tell me that it would. ;-)
>
> Yes. *I am going to say, "It should work." *:-)

My curtiosity being even more 'satiable than the elephant's child, I tried.

The short answer is it doesn't work.

The longer answer is that it threw the computer I was trying it on into a fit
of the sulks: the konsole kept going with a root command prompt until there
were enough to fill the screen. At that point it froze (still in the GUI)
and the keyboard stopped working completely. I finally managed to sort it
out by changing keyboard 3 times (2 x ps2 and 1 x USB), and rebooting twice,
when the mouse at least (and at last) decided to wake up and I could do
anything at all. I was about to resort to the on/off button (a very extreme
solution!). After the first reboot the status had barely changed, but a
second reboot returned (or seems to have returned) the system to normality.

The messing around with keyboards probably did nothing more than prevent me
from using the off button on the front of the computer, by giving me the
illusion that I was doing something.

So - Oh my friends be warned by me! init 1 is fine. init s is not. Paul has
given a very clear exposition of the facts either above of below, depending
on how you thread your emails.

Oh - and I ought to have learned from the elephant's child that 'satiable
curtiosity is sometimes highly undesirable. But it is probably a bit late
now for me to learn.

Lisi

Old 12-19-2010, 10:18 PM
Bob Proulx

Lisi wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > > probably about to tell me that it would. ;-)
> > Yes. I am going to say, "It should work." :-)
>
> My curtiosity being even more 'satiable than the elephant's child, I tried.
>
> The short answer is it doesn't work.

Note that I didn't say that it /did/ work. I said it /should/ work.
I said there might be "interesting corner cases".

> The longer answer is that it threw the computer I was trying it on
> into a fit of the sulks: the konsole kept going with a root command
> prompt until there were enough to fill the screen.

You did it from an X11 session running KDE and a Konsole? A brave
soul indeed! Because surely you realize that all of those processes
will be (or at least should be) killed when transitioning to single
user mode. In single user mode only the minimum system should be
running. All that you should be left with should be a text console.
Everything else should have been killed during the transition.
Therefore to prevent disruption you would want to transition using the
text console. Because otherwise your interface will be killed.

> At that point it froze (still in the GUI) and the keyboard stopped
> working completely. I finally managed to sort it out by changing
> keyboard 3 times (2 x ps2 and 1 x USB), and rebooting twice, when
> the mouse at least (and at last) decided to wake up and I could do
> anything at all. I was about to resort to the on/off button (a very
> extreme solution!). After the first reboot the status had barely
> changed, but a second reboot returned (or seems to have returned)
> the system to normality.

Note also that I did say I would only go into single user mode from a
reboot and not from multiuser mode directly. I wouldn't transition to
single user mode from multiuser mode directly myself. I recommended
against it. But you had to try it! Okay. But you are cutting your
own path then! :-) Stay on the well traveled path unless you want to
be a trailblazer.

> So - Oh my friends be warned by me! init 1 is fine. init s is not.
> Paul has given a very clear exposition of the facts either above of
> below, depending on how you thread your emails.
>
> Oh - and I ought to have learned from the elephant's child that 'satiable
> curtiosity is sometimes highly undesirable. But it is probably a bit late
> now for me to learn.

Too funny! Sometimes "curiousity kills the cat" but if the cat
survives then it is a smarter cat. :-)

Bob

Old 12-19-2010, 11:07 PM
Paul Cartwright

On 12/19/2010 06:02 PM, Lisi wrote:
> So - Oh my friends be warned by me! init 1 is fine. init s is not. Paul has
> given a very clear exposition of the facts either above of below, depending
> on how you thread your emails.
I guess ( after reading Bob's reply) I forgot to mention, NORMALLY you
do those from the ATL-F1 text login screen, where you login as ROOT...
NOT from the X_windows ( gnome, kde...)
my usual init commands are:
# init 6 ( thats just a reboot)

# init 0 ( turn the sucker OFF)

# init 1 ( bring me down to single user mode!)
# init 2 ( start the X-windows & all the rest of the normal services)

I used to use init S/s back in the UNIX days, and it used to mean
something, probably not the same anymore.. It used to bring it down to
single user & umount all file systems EXCEPT root.. but I see from the
man init :
-s, S, single
Single user mode boot. In this mode /etc/inittab is
examined and the bootup rc scripts are usually run before the single
user mode shell is started.

now they have "-b"
-b, emergency
Boot directly into a single user shell without running any
other startup scripts.

so, there are still multiple ways to get booted, even in single user mode..

YMMV

> Oh - and I ought to have learned from the elephant's child that 'satiable
> curtiosity is sometimes highly undesirable. But it is probably a bit late
> now for me to learn.

but you really didn't HURT anything, right?

Old 01-01-2011, 10:36 AM
Lisi

On Sunday 19 December 2010 23:18:19 Bob Proulx wrote:
> I wouldn't transition to
> single user mode from multiuser mode directly myself.

I have never had any problems with init 1, wherever I used it from, other than
that KDE doesn't shut down very cleanly in the sense that it does not save
everything I am working on. Ditto init 0 and init 6.

Lisi

Old 01-01-2011, 10:50 AM
Klistvud

Dne, 01. 01. 2011 12:36:14 je Lisi napisal(a):

On Sunday 19 December 2010 23:18:19 Bob Proulx wrote:
> I wouldn't transition to
> single user mode from multiuser mode directly myself.

I have never had any problems with init 1, wherever I used it from,
other than
that KDE doesn't shut down very cleanly in the sense that it does not
save

everything I am working on. Ditto init 0 and init 6.

Lisi

I've seen init 1 recommended as "the" procedure to use when doing
maintenance tasks that can't be done with X running. On my two Gnome
systems it "shuts down" the desktop environment quite cleanly, as far
as I can tell.

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud