Old 12-16-2010, 06:44 AM
Russell Gadd

Default Which OS to install?

I would like to compile a GTK+ application from source (hitori-0.2.5)
so that I can play with the source code. I followed the instructions
up to ./configure which reports missing packages:
No package 'glib-2.0' found
No package 'gtk+-2.0' found
No package 'gmodule-2.0' found
No package 'cairo' found

This wasn't a surprise although using Synaptic or aptitude I can't
find packages with these exact names but there are various libraries,
etc. with related names. Trying to install one of these I get
unresolved dependencies and a suggestion to check the repositories. It
seems I've got a long path ahead of me so I think I should start with
a clean system. At present I use Lenny (AMD64) with a couple of
backports (maybe they are part of the problem), although I do
multiboot several OS's and I can install another easily. So I think I
may install another OS just for this project (which will keep my day
to day system intact). I'd like to ask for suggestions as to what OS,
preferably some flavour of Debian, perhaps the current Squeeze?

Any other suggestions gratefully welcomed, particularly where to start reading.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:14 AM

Ressell Gadd said

so I think I should start with
a clean system. At present I use Lenny (AMD64) with a couple of
backports (maybe they are part of the problem), although I do
multiboot several OS's and I can install another easily. So I think I
may install another OS just for this project (which will keep my day
to day system intact). I'd like to ask for suggestions as to what OS,
preferably some flavour of Debian, perhaps the current Squeeze?

Any other suggestions gratefully welcomed, particularly where to start reading.

----

One thing I may suggest is look into the use of virtual machines for something like this. You can install and run the OS of your choosing in a window ontop of your main system,

This has the advantages of sandboxing your experiments, having access to your running and stable normal environment at the same time as experimenting, and save hard disk space in unfilled partitions.

It also won't affect your stable installs should something go terribly wrong.

Your main disadvantage is your essentially running two OS's at the same time so eats ram resources like crazy, and may not be an effective true test of system intensive programs given the weight of all the extra stuff on the proc.

Oricle's Virtual Box is a good simple to use Virtulization software if your interested.

Hope it helps;
TeddyB

Old 12-16-2010, 07:41 AM
Sven Joachim

On 2010-12-16 08:44 +0100, Russell Gadd wrote:

> I would like to compile a GTK+ application from source (hitori-0.2.5)
> so that I can play with the source code. I followed the instructions
> up to ./configure which reports missing packages:
> No package 'glib-2.0' found
> No package 'gtk+-2.0' found
> No package 'gmodule-2.0' found
> No package 'cairo' found
>
> This wasn't a surprise although using Synaptic or aptitude I can't
> find packages with these exact names but there are various libraries,
> etc. with related names.

You need the development packages for these libraries which are usually
in libfoo-dev, for every "No package 'foo' found" that configure reports.

> Trying to install one of these I get
> unresolved dependencies and a suggestion to check the repositories. It
> seems I've got a long path ahead of me so I think I should start with
> a clean system. At present I use Lenny (AMD64) with a couple of
> backports (maybe they are part of the problem),

This could very well be the case. If you have a backport of libfoo
installed, then you need libfoo-dev from the same backport, and synaptic
might not consider this since it is not the default version.

> although I do
> multiboot several OS's and I can install another easily. So I think I
> may install another OS just for this project (which will keep my day
> to day system intact). I'd like to ask for suggestions as to what OS,
> preferably some flavour of Debian, perhaps the current Squeeze?

Squeeze will be a better choice for development than Lenny, because the
packages in Lenny might simply be too old for some applications. For
instance, hitori is already available in Squeeze (though only version
0.2.3, not 0.2.5), and it seems to require GTK+ 2.14 or newer for
building, while Lenny only has 2.12. So you would need to install the
GTK+ version from lenny-backports to be able to compile hitori on Lenny.

Sven

Old 12-16-2010, 07:41 AM
debian

I would suggest also use virtual machine for test propose as sandbox,
and you can always easy recover it from snapshots.
Nowadays limitation with hardware is not so critical especially for
linux/unix based OS not working with GUI.

Read about XEN also.

BR

Archive: 4D09D0B4.6040801@utod.de">http://lists.debian.org/4D09D0B4.6040801@utod.de

Old 12-16-2010, 07:49 AM
shawn wilson

> Oricle's Virtual Box is a good simple to use Virtulization software if your interested.

Virtualbox would be a good start. Kvm would be better. Eats up less processor and I think they've got some memory sharing between Unixes.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:01 PM
Russell Gadd

On 16 December 2010 08:41, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
> (see above post)

Thanks Sven, you have confirmed with useful detail the vague ideas I had.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:53 PM
Bob Proulx

Sven Joachim wrote:
> Russell Gadd wrote:
> > I would like to compile a GTK+ application from source (hitori-0.2.5)
> > so that I can play with the source code. I followed the instructions
> > up to ./configure which reports missing packages:
>
> You need the development packages for these libraries which are usually
> in libfoo-dev, for every "No package 'foo' found" that configure reports.

Hint: APT'S 'build-dep' makes this easy. Since this is already in
Squeeze then if you were running squeeze you could install all of the
build dependencies for that version by using apt.

$ sudo apt-get build-dep hitori

That will automatically install any build dependencies onto your
system that it doesn't otherwise have installed. Then you can build
from source normally. And additionally you can rebuild the version
from squeeze easily too.

$ apt-get source hitori
$ cd hitori-0.2.3
$ debuild -uc -us # From the devscripts package.

You might also want to build your own source too but seeing how the
Debian maintainer builds it is often useful. Then you can learn from
it and apply to your own custom build.

Bob

Old 12-16-2010, 09:44 PM
Russell Gadd

On 16 December 2010 17:53, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:

> <snip>
>
> Hint: APT'S 'build-dep' makes this easy. *Since this is already in
> Squeeze then if you were running squeeze you could install all of the
> build dependencies for that version by using apt.
>
> *$ sudo apt-get build-dep hitori

Thanks, most useful to know.

> That will automatically install any build dependencies onto your
> system that it doesn't otherwise have installed. *Then you can build
> from source normally. *And additionally you can rebuild the version
> from squeeze easily too.
>
> *$ apt-get source hitori
> *$ cd hitori-0.2.3
> *$ debuild -uc -us *# From the devscripts package.

Again, thanks. I've just completed an install of Squeeze now so will
try all this. Actually I'm using AMD64 again (same as my Lenny).
Thought of using X86 to be "safe" but I figured that if 64 bit
graphics work ok it shouldn't be an issue. Or is this too naive?

> You might also want to build your own source too but seeing how the
> Debian maintainer builds it is often useful. *Then you can learn from
> it and apply to your own custom build.

Exactly! At present I'm assuming I can just add to the source and keep
all else the same, provided I don't add anything materially different
in the way it behaves. If all goes well I can then maybe look at
building my own. I'm interested in also looking at other 2D Sudoku
variants. Hopefully if I can master one type I should have a template
for others. My main interest is in the solution algorithms rather than
the graphics side, but I'd want to have the ability to modify the
presentation and user interaction so I need to understand how this is
put together.

Russell

Old 12-17-2010, 05:26 AM
Bob Proulx

Russell Gadd wrote:
> Again, thanks. I've just completed an install of Squeeze now so will
> try all this. Actually I'm using AMD64 again (same as my Lenny).
> Thought of using X86 to be "safe" but I figured that if 64 bit
> graphics work ok it shouldn't be an issue. Or is this too naive?

I have been running 64-bit amd64 as my primary desktop since the
original Sarge pre-Etch timeframe. For all free software components
it is very well supported and reliable. That is good for me. But
full disclosure means mentioning that some closed source proprietary
applications will need some special handholding. For the ones I have
given into running I do so in a 32-bit chroot environment. But this
is a good reason to push harder on free software solutions such that
everything can just work. Closed source proprietary software has been
and continues to be much trouble.

> Exactly! At present I'm assuming I can just add to the source and keep
> all else the same, provided I don't add anything materially different
> in the way it behaves. If all goes well I can then maybe look at
> building my own. I'm interested in also looking at other 2D Sudoku
> variants. Hopefully if I can master one type I should have a template
> for others. My main interest is in the solution algorithms rather than
> the graphics side, but I'd want to have the ability to modify the
> presentation and user interaction so I need to understand how this is
> put together.

Sounds like fun! Maybe it will result in a better program and we will
eventually see your improved software in Debian.

Bob