FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-16-2010, 05:05 AM
"Bonno Bloksma"
 
Default Alligate bounces mail

Hi,
*
I subscribe to the Debian user maillist which generates dozens of mails per
day. Sometimes Alligate refuses a mail from the list with a 5.x.x. error.
*
Part of the bounce message (which was later forwarded to me):
-----<quote>----------
*****************
The mail system
*
<b.bloksma@tio.nl>: host mail.tio.nl[217.114.99.201] said: 557
5.4.8
*** mailgate.tio.nl Refused (in reply to end of DATA
command)
-----<quote>----------
In the log it says:
-----<quote>----------
C:Temp>grep (383938) SMTP1215.txt
23:30:14.406 - (383938) Connection requested from: 82.195.75.100 for
217.114.99.204 on port 25 (2 total)
23:30:14.406 - (383938) Bypassing tarpitting (Excluded IP)
23:30:14.406 - (383938) Cmd sent: 220 mailgate.tio.nl ESMTP server ready
(Alligate v3.10.10.17-334,8-34.16)
23:30:14.421 - (383938) Cmd recd: EHLO liszt.debian.org
23:30:14.421 - (383938) Resolved: 82.195.75.100->liszt.debian.org
(RDNS~HELO 100%)
23:30:14.421 - (383938) Cmd sent: 250 mailgate.tio.nl AUTH LOGIN
23:30:14.484 - (383938) Cmd recd: MAIL
FROM:<bounce-debian-user=b.bloksma=tio.nl@lists.debian.org>
23:30:14.484 - (383938) Cmd sent: 250 OK
23:30:14.484 - (383938) Cmd recd: RCPT TO:<b.bloksma@tio.nl>
23:30:14.500 - (383938) Cmd sent: 250 OK <b.bloksma@tio.nl> verified
- (383938)
23:30:14.515 - (383938) Cmd recd: DATA
23:30:14.515 - (383938) Cmd sent: 354 End data with
<CR><LF>.<CR><LF>
23:30:14.578 - (383938) DATA segment complete from: (82.195.75.100)
23:30:14.578 - (383938) Message header length: 5063 bytes.
23:30:14.578 - (383938) Routing: Russian
Federation->Germany->Destination. 10 penalty points added.
23:30:14.578 - (383938) Possible loop - too many hops: ( 12):
(82.195.75.100) <bounce-debian-user=b.bloksma=tio.nl@lists.debian.org> To:
<b.bloksma@tio.nl>
23:30:14.578 - (383938) Cmd sent: 557 5.4.8 mailgate.tio.nl Refused
23:30:14.625 - (383938) Cmd recd: QUIT
23:30:14.625 - (383938) Cmd sent: 221 Goodbye
23:30:14.625 - (383938) Client disconnected - normal termination:
82.195.75.100 VR=1 MF=1 Time: 0.218 1/2/1
-----<quote>----------
*
I am assuming the “too many hops: (12)” means there are 12 Received lines.
So I want to increase that a little bit but I cannot find that option?
Where is it?
*
*


Met vriendelijke groet,
Bonno Bloksma
senior
systeembeheerder

tio


hogeschool hospitality en toerisme


begijnenhof 8-12 / 5611 el eindhoven
t 040 296
28 28 / f 040 237 35 20
b.bloksma@tio.nl* / www.tio.nl
 
Old 12-17-2010, 01:52 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Alligate bounces mail

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 07:05:59 +0100, Bonno Bloksma wrote:

> I subscribe to the Debian user maillist which generates dozens of mails
> per day. Sometimes Alligate refuses a mail from the list with a 5.x.x.
> error.

Is that "Alligate"...?

> Part of the bounce message (which was later forwarded to me):
> -----<quote>----------
> The mail system
>
> <b.bloksma@tio.nl>: host mail.tio.nl[217.114.99.201] said: 557 5.4.8
> mailgate.tio.nl Refused (in reply to end of DATA command)
> -----<quote>----------
> In the log it says:
> -----<quote>----------
> C:Temp>grep (383938) SMTP1215.txt
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

... a Windows program?

Not sure how people in _this_ list can help you >:-)

(...)

> 23:30:14.578 - (383938) Routing: Russian Federation->Germany->Destination. 10 penalty points added.

And what kind of rule is that?

> 23:30:14.578 - (383938) Possible loop - too many hops: ( 12):

(...)

> I am assuming the “too many hops: (12)” means there are 12 Received
> lines. So I want to increase that a little bit but I cannot find that
> option? Where is it?

"Too many hops" in mail server parlance uses to mean that the message is
passing for many hosts which can be an indication of a loop problem (bad
forwarding or aliasing configuration can lead the message into an infinite
loop state, so e-mail servers implement break points like this one you are
getting).

Inspect the full headers of the message to get further information on
what's going on.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2010.12.17.14.52.00@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2010.12.17.14.52.00@gmail.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:37 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org