Old 12-15-2010, 02:32 PM
Jude DaShiell

Default dist upgrade nightmare!

I tried taking a friend's machine from lenny to squeeze and it turned into
a disaster. As a consequence of the attempt his entire package update and
repair systems are broken. apt-get -f install can't fix anything and dpkg
--configure -a can't fix anything anymore and as a consequence of those
two acts, it's impossible to update his system. I can't even downgrade
back to lenny! What I would like to know is if emergency procedures exist
that can clear the mess out that these operations created and get the
system back to some known state. I wouldn't mind this so much if the
upgrade had simply failed but a system breaking like this where even
though useable with the squeeze kernel on it is there nothing can be
installed or uninstalled with apt-get and aptitude apparently got turned
into a zombi placed in not fully installed or uninstalled or deferred
status. If I had done this to my own computer that would be one thing,
but this is a computer of a friend and I don't appreciate these tools for
having ended up leaving this kind of damage.

Archive: alpine.BSF.2.00.1012151022220.91170@freire1.furyyj beyq.arg">http://lists.debian.org/alpine.BSF.2.00.1012151022220.91170@freire1.furyyj beyq.arg

Old 12-15-2010, 03:02 PM
Javier Barroso

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 4:32 PM, Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> wrote:
> I tried taking a friend's machine from lenny to squeeze and it turned into a
> disaster. *As a consequence of the attempt his entire package update and
> repair systems are broken. *apt-get -f install can't fix anything and dpkg
> --configure -a can't fix anything anymore and as a consequence of those two
> acts, it's impossible to update his system.

What says apt-get install -f ? We need logs to know what happened there

Regards