Old 12-15-2010, 01:26 PM
Stuckey

Default User-space libraries -- udev/hotplugs

I'm not subscribed to this list. Please reply directly to me.

Hi,

I'm writing a program that uses a library that isn't in Debian. I'm a
bit confused about something that is written in the product manual.
What I know is, if I want to run this particular USB device, I have to
do so as root. The manual says "Applications typically have to be run
as root, or udev/hotplug must be configured to give permissions when
the Phidget is plugged in." The phidget is the USB device. Can someone
explain to me what this udev/hotplug is that they're talking about.
How can I set this up so that I don't have to run the device as root?

I'm not subscribed to this list. Please reply directly to me.

ciao
James