Old 02-03-2008, 10:14 PM
"Michael D. Norwick"

Default SUCESS: Grub2 on Dell Opteron GX270

To whom it may concern;

Machine : Dell Optiplex 270 server
Intel P4 2.8GHz (non HT)
1G PC2700 Memory
Onboard Intel Gb ethernet adapter
Onboard Intel Extreme 8x AGP graphics controller
40 G Western Digital Harddrive

OS's: Debian kernel image 2.6.22-2
Debian kernel image 2.6.22-3
Win XP Pro SP3

Reason: Trying to build and install Xen 3.2.1 as a replacement for the
Debian kernel images above.

Successfully used the current GParted boot CD to re-partition the disk
to 13 G for WinXP and 27 G
for some Linux variant (using Ext3). While trying to install Debian
stable from either the current
Debian Netinst or the full stable CD's, Grub and Lilo would not install
to the MBR. It appears that
some Dell bios or ACPI issue prevents this, Thus, the workaround. I
was able to install Lilo from a boot
CD to get both OS's to boot, then, installed the Debian current Lilo
package once the installation was

complete and I booted into the new Linux installation.

I wanted to test the current XEN kernels either from a Debian package or
Xensource package but found
from the requirements that XEN needs grub not Lilo. I decided to try
Grub2 from the Lenny distribution
(which I am currently on) and all stages installed successfully. A
config file edit(add) for chainloading
Windows was required in /etc/grub.d to get grub-update to see the Win XP
installation.

I have yet to do the 'make install' of the XEN enabled kernel I was
finally able to build. That will be the
next step when I verify I have all the elements for success (I"ve got to
build an initrd for one).

Michael