Old 12-15-2010, 12:39 AM
"s. keeling"

Default Postfix SASL SMTP AUTH help, please.

[I asked this in cmm, but see no help there yet. I'm trying to get this:

http://postfix.state-of-mind.de/patrick.koetter/smtpauth/smtp_auth_mailservers.html

working on Debian Lenny.]

Background:

I run fetchmail in a script wrapper called by my user crontab.
Changing the interval at which the cronjob runs to 10 min. instead of
every five minutes broke the implied "POP before SMTP" authorization.
Apparently, my ISP's SMTP times out PbS authorization fairly quickly.

I'd prefer to have SASL SMTP AUTH working instead of relying on PbS.
Essentially, this means placing my ISP username and password in
/etc/posfix/sasl_passwd:

[smtp.nucleus.com]:366 keeling:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

then adding:

smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtp_sasl_security_options =

to /etc/postfix/main.cf, followed by:

postmap hash:/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
postfix reload

and (for the heck of it):

/etc/init.d/postfix restart

It had no effect. Changing the crontab fetchmail wrapper interval
back to 5 min. lets it work, but I'd rather smtpd not be dependent on
how often a user cronjob runs. What am I missing, or how do I get
SASL SMTP AUTH working? BTW, I'm trying to get this question to
postfix-users, but that's been somewhat difficult with a broken mail
system (though I am now gaining on it).

Thanks.

(*) Please don't Cc: me.
- -

Old 12-15-2010, 01:41 PM
Darac Marjal

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 06:39:23PM -0700, s. keeling wrote:
[cut]

The official documentation for how to do this would appear to be at
http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html#client_sasl_enable

> I'd prefer to have SASL SMTP AUTH working instead of relying on PbS.
> Essentially, this means placing my ISP username and password in
> /etc/posfix/sasl_passwd:
^typo?

> [smtp.nucleus.com]:366 keeling:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Did you run "postmap /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd" after editing this file?

> then adding:
>
> smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
> smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
> smtp_sasl_security_options =

According to the above URL, you also need "relayhost =
[smtp.nucleus.com]:366". That is, exactly the same as the first field in
your file above.

> to /etc/postfix/main.cf, followed by:
>
> postmap hash:/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
> postfix reload
>
> and (for the heck of it):
>
> /etc/init.d/postfix restart
>
> It had no effect. Changing the crontab fetchmail wrapper interval
> back to 5 min. lets it work, but I'd rather smtpd not be dependent on
> how often a user cronjob runs. What am I missing, or how do I get
> SASL SMTP AUTH working? BTW, I'm trying to get this question to
> postfix-users, but that's been somewhat difficult with a broken mail
> system (though I am now gaining on it).

What does postfix log to /var/log/mail.log? Any errors?

Old 12-15-2010, 01:46 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 18:39:23 -0700, s. keeling wrote:

(...)

> Background:
>
> I run fetchmail in a script wrapper called by my user crontab. Changing
> the interval at which the cronjob runs to 10 min. instead of every five
> minutes broke the implied "POP before SMTP" authorization. Apparently,
> my ISP's SMTP times out PbS authorization fairly quickly.
>
> I'd prefer to have SASL SMTP AUTH working instead of relying on PbS.

(...)

So basically you want to setup Postfix to use SMTP AUTH (as "client") for
sending e-mails through Postfix and then Postfix delivers the e-mail to
your e-mail server provider, right?

First, check that remote e-mail server supports SMTP AUTH functionality
(you can test this by setting up an account in any e-mail client and send
a message from there, just ensure to put your login credentials when
configuring the remote smtp server).

If that works, then review your Postfix logs. If the e-mail cannot be
sent for whatever reason, you should have more information about the
failure under "/var/log/mail*" files.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 12-15-2010, 03:24 PM
Osamu Aoki

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 06:39:23PM -0700, s. keeling wrote:
> Background:
>
> I run fetchmail in a script wrapper called by my user crontab.
> Changing the interval at which the cronjob runs to 10 min. instead of
> every five minutes broke the implied "POP before SMTP" authorization.
> Apparently, my ISP's SMTP times out PbS authorization fairly quickly.
>
> I'd prefer to have SASL SMTP AUTH working instead of relying on PbS.

Do you have sasl2-bin package installed?

> Essentially, this means placing my ISP username and password in
> /etc/posfix/sasl_passwd:
>
> [smtp.nucleus.com]:366 keeling:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
>
> then adding:
>
> smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
> smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
> smtp_sasl_security_options =
>
> to /etc/postfix/main.cf, followed by:
>
> postmap hash:/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
> postfix reload
>
> and (for the heck of it):
>
> /etc/init.d/postfix restart
>
> It had no effect. Changing the crontab fetchmail wrapper interval
> back to 5 min. lets it work, but I'd rather smtpd not be dependent on
> how often a user cronjob runs. What am I missing, or how do I get
> SASL SMTP AUTH working? BTW, I'm trying to get this question to
> postfix-users, but that's been somewhat difficult with a broken mail
> system (though I am now gaining on it).

I use exim recently but when I use postfix, Iwrote following howto for
this topic:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch06.en.html#_the_configuration_of_postfix_with_sa sl

Osamu

Old 12-16-2010, 01:18 AM
Bob Proulx

s. keeling wrote:
> and (for the heck of it):
> /etc/init.d/postfix restart
> What am I missing, or how do I get SASL SMTP AUTH working?

In Debian postfix is run chroot'd in /var/spool/postfix. Therefore
all of those files you are changing in /etc need to be replicated into
the chroot. This is already done in /etc/init.d/postfix for several
other files. You need to add the sasldb2 file to that list.

Add etc/sasldb2 to FILES in /etc/init.d/postfix:
- FILES="etc/localtime etc/services etc/resolv.conf etc/hosts
+ FILES="etc/sasldb2 etc/localtime etc/services etc/resolv.conf etc/hosts

Then when you restart postfix those files will make it into the chroot
and you should be good to go. On a quick look that was the only thing
I thought was missing.

Some time ago I wrote this up on how to get SASL working in Debian.
It currently has hostnames customized to help a friend out with a
specific environment. I need to update it again. I haven't tried it
on Squeeze and probably need to update it for that reason too. So
expect it to be less than perfect. But just the same I think it might
be general purpose enough to help you out and if nothing else will
give you an alternate view of things.

http://www.proulx.com/~bob/doc/HOWTO-Postfix-SASL.html

Bob

Old 12-19-2010, 05:15 AM
"s. keeling"

s. keeling <keeling@nucleus.com>:
> [I asked this in cmm, but see no help there yet. I'm trying to get this:
>
> http://postfix.state-of-mind.de/patrick.koetter/smtpauth/smtp_auth_mailservers.html
>
> working on Debian Lenny.]

Camaleon, Darac, Osamu, Bob, thanks. All good suggestions, lots of
reading to do. Gimme a minute; will report back. I appreciate your
input.

(*) Linux Counter #80292