Old 12-14-2010, 03:06 PM
Camaleón

Default itune podcasts on a debian system?

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 09:20:55 -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:

> The New York Times says I must have itunes to hear/see the science
> podcast.
>
> Humor me, I'v lived in a cave listening to classical music on vinyl for
> the last 81 years. My cell phone is 10 years old and doesn't do apps. I
> have no ipad/pod/whatever.
>
> What must I install to listen to the science podcast?

Lastest science podcasts are available in mp3 format:

http://dts.podtrac.nytimes.com/redirect.mp3/podcasts.nytimes.com/podcasts/2010/12/13/14science.mp3
http://dts.podtrac.nytimes.com/redirect.mp3/podcasts.nytimes.com/podcasts/2010/12/06/07science.mp3
http://dts.podtrac.nytimes.com/redirect.mp3/podcasts.nytimes.com/podcasts/2010/11/29/30science.mp3
http://dts.podtrac.nytimes.com/redirect.mp3/podcasts.nytimes.com/podcasts/2010/11/22/23science.mp3

They should load automatically in your default media player. Dunno why NYT
does not provide an easy way for getting that URIs :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 12-14-2010, 03:25 PM
Andrew McGlashan

Hi Thomas,

Thomas H. George wrote:

The New York Times says I must have itunes to hear/see the science
podcast.

No you don't!

Humor me, I'v lived in a cave listening to classical music on vinyl for
the last 81 years. My cell phone is 10 years old and doesn't do apps.
I have no ipad/pod/whatever.

What must I install to listen to the science podcast?

Just when I was about to go to bed, you brought this interesting little
problem for me to work through.

I found some download links for you....

http://www.podcastdirectory.com/podcasts/archive.php?iid=15159

Most episodes have a direct download link, here are some of them from
that page:

long link (with redirect)
http://dts.podtrac.nytimes.com/redirect.mp3/podcasts.nytimes.com/podcasts/2010/12/13/14science.mp3
short derived link (from experience, these work)
http://podcasts.nytimes.com/podcasts/2010/12/13/14science.mp3

short links
http://podcasts.nytimes.com/podcasts/2010/12/06/07science.mp3
http://podcasts.nytimes.com/podcasts/2010/11/29/30science.mp3
http://podcasts.nytimes.com/podcasts/2010/11/22/23science.mp3
http://podcasts.nytimes.com/podcasts/2010/11/15/16science.mp3
... three are more there for you to find ;-)

The following were found by right clicking on the "Listen" links (where
the download link wasn't showing), they opened in new tabs and I was
able to find the direct download links:

http://podcasts.nytimes.com/podcasts/2008/03/03/04scienceupdate.mp3
http://podcasts.nytimes.com/podcasts/2008/02/15/19scienceupdate.mp3
http://podcasts.nytimes.com/podcasts/2008/02/04/05scienceupdate.mp3

There are more like those there too .....

There are plenty of MP3 capable players in Linux, you don't need iTunes,
but it does make it harder to "collect" episodes without a feed link.

Actually there is an RSS feed link too, I'll let you discover how to use
that, but the feed doesn't show all history, just the more recent mp3 files.

http://www.nytimes.com/services/xml/rss/nyt/podcasts/scienceupdate.xml

And look what else I found:

http://feeds.nytimes.com/nyt/rss/Science

That gives feeds for all the programs.

I would be interested in a "better" iTunes answer for Linux as would my
son and so many other people I'm sure. But I think the last and fuller
xml feed file will be useful with a media player in Linux that can take
feeds.

Loads of players here to consider:

http://www.podcastingnews.com/topics/Podcast_Software.html

Cheers and Enjoy

--
Kind Regards
AndrewM

Andrew McGlashan
Broadband Solutions now including VoIP

Current Land Line No: 03 9912 0504
Mobile: 04 2574 1827 Fax: 03 9012 2178

National No: 1300 85 3804

Affinity Vision Australia Pty Ltd
http://www.affinityvision.com.au
http://adsl2choice.net.au

In Case of Emergency -- http://www.affinityvision.com.au/ice.html

Archive: 4D079A77.1030304@affinityvision.com.au">http://lists.debian.org/4D079A77.1030304@affinityvision.com.au

Old 12-14-2010, 03:29 PM
Andrew McGlashan

Andrew McGlashan wrote:

Loads of players here to consider:

http://www.podcastingnews.com/topics/Podcast_Software.html

Here's the player that I would recommend:

http://projects.gnome.org/rhythmbox/

"Rhythmbox is an integrated music management application, originally
inspired by Apple's iTunes. It is free software, designed to work well
under the GNOME Desktop, and based on the powerful GStreamer media
framework."

Cheers, I'm off to bed now ;-)

Hope I've been able to help.

--
Kind Regards
AndrewM

Archive: 4D079B7A.6000908@affinityvision.com.au">http://lists.debian.org/4D079B7A.6000908@affinityvision.com.au

Old 12-14-2010, 03:33 PM
Andrew McGlashan

Andrew McGlashan wrote:

And look what else I found:

http://feeds.nytimes.com/nyt/rss/Science

That gives feeds for all the programs.

Umm, a closer look shows it doesn't give what I thought it did

Cheers
A.

Archive: 4D079C72.7070208@affinityvision.com.au">http://lists.debian.org/4D079C72.7070208@affinityvision.com.au

Old 12-14-2010, 04:06 PM
shawn wilson

> What must I install to listen to the science podcast?

the issue isn't generally 'what' to use to listen to podcasts (most
media players support playing sound from uri) the problem is finding
the rss feed. this is quite intuitive with itunes - they have a huge
database to search from. i never realized this was an issue until i
switched to android (dogcatcher is 100x better than itunes but they
still don't have the extensive db of feeds that itunes has). however,
getting a feed aggregator program (like rhythmbox or possibly even
google's rss might work for you) and searching '<topic> podcast rss'
will get you results. however, with this search you'll find tons of
people that offer things to listen to and you'll have to then search
their site to figure out if they've got an rss feed for you. trust me,
in order to really find enjoyment with podcasts, you'll want a program
that can take the rss feeds, look for the media, download, and catalog
it for you to listen to when you're ready.

all that said (though i don't use rhythmbox - i prefer my podcasts to
be portable) i would go with andrew's suggestion of rhythmbox and
search podcastdirectory for things you like.

i think i can easily do a doggcatcher backup and come up with the rss
uri's for you that i listen to / watch if you like (generally science,
computer security, news) which may save you some time once you find a
decent aggregator program.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:11 PM
Wayne Topa

The New York Times says I must have itunes to hear/see the science
podcast.

Humor me, I'v lived in a cave listening to classical music on vinyl for
the last 81 years. My cell phone is 10 years old and doesn't do apps.
I have no ipad/pod/whatever.

What must I install to listen to the science podcast?

To 'listen' to a podcast, I download them then use the vlc package.

If there is a way to 'View & listen' I have not found it, yet.

Regards

Wayne

Archive: 4D07B341.5050806@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4D07B341.5050806@gmail.com

Old 12-14-2010, 05:22 PM
"Thomas H. George"

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 04:06:40PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 09:20:55 -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:
>
> > The New York Times says I must have itunes to hear/see the science
> > podcast.
> >
> > Humor me, I'v lived in a cave listening to classical music on vinyl for
> > the last 81 years. My cell phone is 10 years old and doesn't do apps. I
> > have no ipad/pod/whatever.
> >
> > What must I install to listen to the science podcast?
>
> Lastest science podcasts are available in mp3 format:
>
> http://dts.podtrac.nytimes.com/redirect.mp3/podcasts.nytimes.com/podcasts/2010/12/13/14science.mp3
> http://dts.podtrac.nytimes.com/redirect.mp3/podcasts.nytimes.com/podcasts/2010/12/06/07science.mp3
> http://dts.podtrac.nytimes.com/redirect.mp3/podcasts.nytimes.com/podcasts/2010/11/29/30science.mp3
> http://dts.podtrac.nytimes.com/redirect.mp3/podcasts.nytimes.com/podcasts/2010/11/22/23science.mp3
>
> They should load automatically in your default media player. Dunno why NYT
> does not provide an easy way for getting that URIs :-?

Thanks,

This works

Tom

Old 12-14-2010, 06:29 PM
Erwan David

On 14/12/10 15:20, Thomas H. George wrote:
> The New York Times says I must have itunes to hear/see the science
> podcast.
>
> Humor me, I'v lived in a cave listening to classical music on vinyl for
> the last 81 years. My cell phone is 10 years old and doesn't do apps.
> I have no ipad/pod/whatever.
>
> What must I install to listen to the science podcast?
>
> Tom

You can retrieve them with podget. Just replace the itms at start of url
with http...

Old 12-14-2010, 07:05 PM
"Russell L. Harris"

* Thomas H. George <lists@tomgeorge.info> [101214 19:28]:
> On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 04:06:40PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> > On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 09:20:55 -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:
> >
>>> The New York Times says I must have itunes to hear/see the science
>>> podcast.
> > Lastest science podcasts are available in mp3 format:
> >
> > http://dts.podtrac.nytimes.com/redirect.mp3/podcasts.nytimes.com/podcasts/2010/12/13/14science.mp3
> > http://dts.podtrac.nytimes.com/redirect.mp3/podcasts.nytimes.com/podcasts/2010/12/06/07science.mp3
> > http://dts.podtrac.nytimes.com/redirect.mp3/podcasts.nytimes.com/podcasts/2010/11/29/30science.mp3
> > http://dts.podtrac.nytimes.com/redirect.mp3/podcasts.nytimes.com/podcasts/2010/11/22/23science.mp3

>> Dunno why NYT > does not provide an easy way for getting that URIs
>> :-?

The article

http://thefinancebuff.com/2009/06/ny-times-podcasts-without-itunes.html

reports that the xml feed for the science podcast is:

http://www.nytimes.com/services/xml/rss/nyt/podcasts/sciencetimes.xml

An easy way to get the podcast more or less automatically (you can use
chron) is to install the amazing Debian package hpodder. The podcast can be
added with the command:

hpodder add
http://www.nytimes.com/services/xml/rss/nyt/podcasts/sciencetimes.xml

after which newly-available podcasts are obtained with the command:

hpodder

and are stored in the directory which you specified in the brief hpodder
configuration dialogue.

Let hpodder do the work for you.

RLH