Old 02-03-2008, 06:53 PM
lostson

Default nvidia driver question

Hello
I know this has probably been asked but, I really like debian I just am not fond of being way behind on certain apps. One is the nvidia driver, can one just download the nvidia drivers and install them instead of using the ancient ones on stable ? Also is there a way to use the ones out of say unstable or testing without completely modifying you current stable version ? I have read alot obout the "Debian Way" pro's and con's and am curious as to what and how.

--
lostson

Old 02-03-2008, 07:43 PM
"Paul Csanyi"

2008/2/3, lostson <lostson@lostsonsvault.org>:

> I know this has probably been asked but, I really like debian I just am not fond of being way behind on certain apps. One is the nvidia driver, can one just download the nvidia drivers and install them instead of using the ancient ones on stable ?

First, I should try on Debian way.

I think, it depends on your video card, wether is it supported.

--
Regards, Paul Csanyi

Old 02-12-2008, 10:47 PM
Michelle Konzack

Am 2008-02-03 21:43:32, schrieb Paul Csanyi:
> 2008/2/3, lostson <lostson@lostsonsvault.org>:
> >
> > I know this has probably been asked but, I really like debian I just am not fond of being way behind on certain apps. One is the nvidia driver, can one just download the nvidia drivers and install them instead of using the ancient ones on stable ?
>
> First, I should try on Debian way.

Done...

> I think, it depends on your video card, wether is it supported.

Yeah...

The neighbours PIG is a Acer Aspire 7220 with a GeForce 7000M
which is not supported under Etch.

Same for the nVidia Sound and Ethernet.

Not eve the pig of a backport called linux-kernel-2.6.22-3-686
bring the stuff running!

And NO! -- I will not install Testing or Unstable on a computer
of a TOTAL COMPUTER NEWBIE which has nothing to do with a computer
as surfing the Internet, writing letter and reports and hear music.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
Michelle Konzack
Systemadministrator
Tamay Dogan Network
Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

Michelle Konzack Apt. 917 ICQ #328449886
50, rue de Soultz MSN LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193 67100 Strasbourg/France IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)

Old 02-14-2008, 02:59 AM
"David Fox"

On 2/12/08, Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@freenet.de> wrote:
> And NO! -- I will not install Testing or Unstable on a computer
> of a TOTAL COMPUTER NEWBIE which has nothing to do with a computer
> as surfing the Internet, writing letter and reports and hear music.

Neither would I. I'd install Ubuntu.

(ducks!)

Old 02-15-2008, 06:50 AM
Michelle Konzack

Am 2008-02-13 19:59:47, schrieb David Fox:
> On 2/12/08, Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@freenet.de> wrote:
> > And NO! -- I will not install Testing or Unstable on a computer
> > of a TOTAL COMPUTER NEWBIE which has nothing to do with a computer
> > as surfing the Internet, writing letter and reports and hear music.
>
> Neither would I. I'd install Ubuntu.
>
> (ducks!)

And since Ubuntu WAS installed from another person which was not able to
get nVidia Ethernet, nVidia Sound (there is only a NON-Working master
from ALSA), Aheros Wifi and the fscking nVidia Geforce 7000M...

I hate such Laptops!

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
Michelle Konzack
Systemadministrator
Tamay Dogan Network
Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

Michelle Konzack Apt. 917 ICQ #328449886
+49/177/9351947 50, rue de Soultz MSN LinuxMichi