Old 02-03-2008, 06:06 PM
Mitchell Laks

Default Alsa - no sound: I need to repeatedly run alsaconf every time I reboot computer

On 17:34 Sun 03 Feb , Nigel Henry wrote:

> Hi Mitchell. I'm half guessing here, but there are some snd modules that are
> notorious for grabbing card0. Modem ones stand out, along with snd-bt87x.
>
> I see that along with your snd-via82xx, the snd-via82xx_modem is loaded, and
> that may be what is causing the problem. Your /etc/modprobe.d/sound is
> showing snd-via82xx set up correctly, but if the modem module is in fact
> grabbing card0, snd-via82xx would still be loaded as well, but as the modem
> module has already grabbed first place (card0), the actual soundcard module
> would not be able to also use the card0 position, as setup
> in /etc/modprobe.d/sound.
>
> The fact that cat /proc/asound/cards shows what appears to be the actual
> soundcard, this may be in fact the modem module.
>
> I havn't got any Debian install booted up at the mo, but you could blacklist
> the snd-via82xx_modem module in /etc/modules.d/blacklist, or try adding the
> following line to /etc/modprobe.d/sound.
> install snd-via82xx_modem /bin/true
>
> The above line will cause the module to be ignored.
>
> Alternatively, add an options line to /etc/modprobe.d/sound, as below.
>
> options snd-via82xx_modem index=2
>
> I don't think you have to also put an alias line, as it appears that, that
> line already exists somewhere.
>
> Just a few pointers.
>
> All the best.
>
> Nigel.

Thank you Nigel for the information:

I disabled the modem driver (didnt even notice that I have any modem )
by uncommenting the line
in
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base-blacklist
ie:
# Uncomment these entries in order to blacklist unwanted modem drivers
# blacklist snd-atiixp-modem
# blacklist snd-intel8x0m
blacklist snd-via82xx-modem

now I dont have the modem driver loaded in lsmod
mlaks@Rashi:~$ lsmod
Module Size Used by
snd_via82xx 34344 1
gameport 21264 1 snd_via82xx
snd_ac97_codec 117464 1 snd_via82xx
ac97_bus 7168 1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_pcm_oss 48288 0
snd_mixer_oss 21376 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm 89864 3 snd_via82xx,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_page_alloc 15248 2 snd_via82xx,snd_pcm
snd_mpu401_uart 13440 1 snd_via82xx
snd_seq_dummy 8452 0
snd_seq_oss 36736 0
snd_seq_midi 13376 0
snd_rawmidi 30624 2 snd_mpu401_uart,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_midi_event 12416 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq 58752 6 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_mid i_event
snd_timer 28552 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device 12948 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi ,snd_seq
snd 65640 13 snd_via82xx,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_o ss,snd_pcm,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi ,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
soundcore 13216 1 snd
nvidia 8898756 24
vmnet 45120 13
vmmon 1837612 0
binfmt_misc 17292 1
nfsd 263976 13
exportfs 9984 1 nfsd
auth_rpcgss 52384 1 nfsd
ppdev 13832 0
lp 17480 0
ac 10760 0
battery 18064 0
nfs 257904 0
lockd 73136 3 nfsd,nfs
nfs_acl 8192 2 nfsd,nfs
sunrpc 188680 9 nfsd,auth_rpcgss,nfs,lockd,nfs_acl
ipv6 303336 20
xt_tcpudp 7936 80
ipt_TOS 6784 34
xt_TCPMSS 9344 2
ipt_LOG 10880 39
ipt_REJECT 9344 0
iptable_nat 12036 0
nf_nat 26028 1 iptable_nat
iptable_mangle 7424 1
iptable_filter 7680 1
xt_multiport 7680 0
xt_state 7040 13
xt_limit 7680 40
xt_conntrack 8064 0
nf_conntrack_ftp 14504 0
nf_conntrack_ipv4 24208 15 iptable_nat
nf_conntrack 77696 6 iptable_nat,nf_nat,xt_state,xt_conntrack,nf_conntr ack_ftp,nf_conntrack_ipv4
nfnetlink 10952 3 nf_nat,nf_conntrack_ipv4,nf_conntrack
ip_tables 25832 3 iptable_nat,iptable_mangle,iptable_filter
x_tables 24712 11 xt_tcpudp,ipt_TOS,xt_TCPMSS,ipt_LOG,ipt_REJECT,ipt able_nat,xt_multiport,xt_state,xt_limit,xt_conntra ck,ip_tables
dm_snapshot 21960 0
dm_mirror 27008 0
dm_mod 64368 2 dm_snapshot,dm_mirror
psmouse 45596 0
ide_generic 5632 0 [permanent]
shpchp 38428 0
pci_hotplug 36016 1 shpchp
button 13856 0
parport_pc 42664 1
i2c_viapro 13720 0
k8temp 10496 0
parport 44428 3 ppdev,lp,parport_pc
i2c_core 30976 2 nvidia,i2c_viapro
pcspkr 7808 0
evdev 15360 4
tsdev 13440 0
ext3 137488 3
jbd 68080 1 ext3
mbcache 13952 1 ext3
raid1 28032 1
md_mod 84380 2 raid1
ide_disk 22016 5
ide_cd 44704 0
cdrom 39592 1 ide_cd
ata_generic 13188 0
sd_mod 33408 4
usbhid 34144 0
hid 33152 1 usbhid
via82cxxx 13828 0 [permanent]
sata_promise 19076 2
sata_via 17540 0
skge 46608 0
floppy 66984 0
ehci_hcd 38540 0
generic 10372 0 [permanent]
ide_core 149904 5 ide_generic,ide_disk,ide_cd,via82cxxx,generic
libata 129840 3 ata_generic,sata_promise,sata_via
scsi_mod 164664 2 sd_mod,libata
uhci_hcd 29984 0
thermal 22176 0
processor 43624 1 thermal
fan 10248 0
mlaks@Rashi:~$

However, I still dont have sound when I reboot.

IN fact I notice that I dont even have sound if I do:

alsaconf
(gets me sound)
speaker-test
alsactl store

then even if I simply kill kde, and then startx again - still no sound!
So I dont even have to reboot, simply ending kde kills sound
and then i need to reinstall via alsaconf.
very upsetting!

Any ideas???
Thanks
Mitchell Laks

Old 02-03-2008, 06:52 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 02:06:24PM -0500, Mitchell Laks wrote:

> then even if I simply kill kde, and then startx again - still no sound!
> So I dont even have to reboot, simply ending kde kills sound
> and then i need to reinstall via alsaconf.
> very upsetting!

do you have artsd running? That's probably where your problem lies.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:26 PM
Mitchell Laks

> Also have a look at Kmix's "Settings"/ "Configure-Kmix". The "Restore volumes
> on login" box is the one that used to create problems. Make sure that it's
> unchecked.

I got rid of artsd as suggested by Andrew Sackville-West, which did not help .

However, your idea worked.

When I started up kmix and went to uncheck that "restore volumes on login" and now it works fine.

Thanks you very much,
Mitchell

Old 02-05-2008, 04:23 AM
Mitchell Laks

Dear Chris,

On 16:04 Mon 04 Feb , Chris Lale wrote:
> Mitchell Laks wrote:
> > Hi Gurus,
> >
> > I seem to have to rerun alsaconf to reconfigure alsa every time I reboot my computer.
> > I have no idea why? I am running sid with debian standard kernel:
> [...]
>
> Have a look at the solution on the NewbieDOC wiki [1]. Let us know if renaming
> modprobe.conf does the trick.
>
> [1]
> http://newbiedoc.berlios.de/wiki/Sound_in_Debian_GNU/Linux#Some_applications_.28OSS_applications.29_pro duce_no_sound_in_ALSA
>
> --
> Chris.

I don't see how this helps.

a) My problem was _not_ that some individual applications did not work.
My problem was "total loss of sound". For instance, KDE did not make
its 'KDE' sound when it started up after I hit startx. I had to run
alsaconf to get sound started again. /etc/init.d/alsa stop then start
as root did not help...

b) It seems to have been a Kmix setting problem. As soon as I went into
the kmix setting as pointed out by the other respondent, and unchecked
'Restore volumes on login' which is some kind of kmix bug, (whatever it means
) I now have full sound (insofar as I checked...).

c) I ended up deleting arts (and with it went kde-core). No effect so far.

I don't know about your reported bug and I don't think your issues
have hit me, for example I just tried xmms and it works fine on my system.
Thank you for responding though...

Mitchell Laks