Old 02-03-2008, 04:09 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

Default What am I missing without mutt?

As a thunderbird user, what am I missing by not using mutt? Teach me,
if it's a better client than I'd love to learn it. I'm not afraid of
the CLI, and I'm not afraid of VI[M].

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 02-03-2008, 04:21 PM
Pantor

Dotan Cohen wrote:

As a thunderbird user, what am I missing by not using mutt? Teach me,
if it's a better client than I'd love to learn it. I'm not afraid of
the CLI, and I'm not afraid of VI[M].

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

You are missing possibility to use coloured letters in messages.
That is main reason to use Mutt.

Old 02-03-2008, 04:27 PM
Александър Л. Димитров

Quoth Dotan Cohen:
> As a thunderbird user, what am I missing by not using mutt? Teach me,
> if it's a better client than I'd love to learn it. I'm not afraid of
> the CLI, and I'm not afraid of VI[M].

What you're missing? Tedious
fetchmail/procmail/maildrop/exim/sendmail-configuration, 200-lines .muttrc...

No seriously, mutt is king - once you've set it up. What you're missing? Well,
how about 'navigating completely from keyboard' using mostly vi-like shortcuts?
* Being able to look at your mail when you have no XServer (remotely, your
driver's hosed, whatever).
* You don't have to wait 30 seconds for your MUA to fire up, everything responds
just as quickly as you'd like it to.
* No fancy specific format for your mailboxes - mutt can use maildir and mh
(nobody uses mbox anymore, but mutt actually supports it)
* Enhanced regular expressions for organizing your mail (delete all unread mails
between date x and y with foo in their Sender: field).
* Great console integration - you can pipe everything into any program...
* Flexibility!
* Geek-factor...
* No bulky graphics. Your mail and just your mail.
* You can watch multiple mailboxes at a time - just fire up another instance.
* In Debian, mutt can handle most attatchments by invoking the proper application.

I probably missed out a lot

Aleks

Old 02-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Jochen Schulz

Dotan Cohen:

> As a thunderbird user, what am I missing by not using mutt? Teach me,
> if it's a better client than I'd love to learn it. I'm not afraid of
> the CLI, and I'm not afraid of VI[M].

- Ability to use your favourite editor for mail editing

- Complete and fast control via keyboard only

- Easy & fast usage via SSH

- Ability to edit mail headers

- Ability to change configuration parameters depending on recipient,
mail folder and to run commands on certain events

- Ability to use custom spam and other filtering software

- Filtering mail content before viewing (to strip mailing list footers,
decode HTML...)

- Mailing list support

- Support for various mailbox formats (mbox, gzipped mboxes, maildir,
IMAP)

- Non-interactive Command line usability

There's probably more.

J.
--
I throw away plastics and think about the discoveries of future
archeologists.

Old 02-03-2008, 04:51 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

Sounds great, but the only thing that really makes me interested is
the full keyboard control, as none of the other features I need. I'll
start looking for Tbird extensions that might help, or I'll learn to
write my own. I'm glad I asked, though. Thanks.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 02-03-2008, 06:33 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 06:36:41PM +0100, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> Dotan Cohen:
> >
> > As a thunderbird user, what am I missing by not using mutt?

> - Easy & fast usage via SSH

I run imap on my mail server with the idea that I can get mail from
anywhere and that's great. But I find, using mutt, that it's really
useless to have imap because odds are if I'm doing mail, I probably
want access to my systems in other ways too. So it turns out I do all
of my mail by ssh to my main box and attaching a screen session. All I
ever use imap for is reading the mail from one side of the room to the
other.

So for me, the easy fast ssh access to mail is the #1 thing about
mutt.

Old 02-03-2008, 06:49 PM
"Kelly Clowers"

2008/2/3 Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com>:
> Sounds great, but the only thing that really makes me interested is
> the full keyboard control, as none of the other features I need. I'll
> start looking for Tbird extensions that might help, or I'll learn to
> write my own. I'm glad I asked, though. Thanks.

My understanding is that XUL's shortcut/keybinding system is
inherently weird and/or underpowered, making it difficult to
put good keybindings in the apps or in extensions. I guess
it has been done in Vimperator (vim-like FF), but as far as I
know, Muttator is purely theoretical at this point.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Old 02-03-2008, 08:58 PM
Nate Bargmann

* ???????????????????? ??. ???????????????? <aleks_d@gmx.de> [2008 Feb 03 11:35 -0600]:
> * No fancy specific format for your mailboxes - mutt can use maildir and mh
> (nobody uses mbox anymore, but mutt actually supports it)

I truly am Nobody! Note that I don't have to create a user when I
install Debian for fun anymore as `nobody' already exists. Those
Debian Devs think of everything for me!

- Nate >>

Old 02-03-2008, 10:21 PM
Celejar

On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 19:51:05 +0200
"Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sounds great, but the only thing that really makes me interested is
> the full keyboard control, as none of the other features I need. I'll
> start looking for Tbird extensions that might help, or I'll learn to
> write my own. I'm glad I asked, though. Thanks.

I'm a Sylpheed fan, and not a particularly expert one, and I control it
almost exclusively via keyboard. You can bind custom key combos to
functions using the standard GTK method.

> Dotan Cohen

Celejar

Old 02-03-2008, 10:25 PM
Celejar

On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 11:33:55 -0800
Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:

> So for me, the easy fast ssh access to mail is the #1 thing about
> mutt.

Can't one just tunnel any MUA through ssh, with something like 'ssh -L
110:remote_host:110'?

Celejar