Old 02-03-2008, 03:34 PM
Nigel Henry

Default Alsa - no sound: I need to repeatedly run alsaconf every time I reboot computer

On Sunday 03 February 2008 15:59, Mitchell Laks wrote:
> [...]
>
> Here are the output of
>
> mlaks@Rashi:~$ lspci -nn |egrep -i 's(ou)?nd|audio|media'
> 00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller [0401]: VIA Technologies, Inc.
> VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller [1106:3059] (rev 60)
> mlaks@Rashi:~$ lsmod | grep snd
> snd_via82xx 34344 3
> gameport 21264 1 snd_via82xx
> snd_mpu401_uart 13440 1 snd_via82xx
> snd_seq_dummy 8452 0
> snd_seq_oss 36736 0
> snd_seq_midi 13376 0
> snd_rawmidi 30624 2 snd_mpu401_uart,snd_seq_midi
> snd_via82xx_modem 20492 0
> snd_ac97_codec 117464 2 snd_via82xx,snd_via82xx_modem
> snd_seq_midi_event 12416 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
> ac97_bus 7168 1 snd_ac97_codec
> snd_pcm_oss 48288 0
> snd_mixer_oss 21376 1 snd_pcm_oss
> snd_seq 58752 6
> snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_mid i_event snd_seq_device
> 12948 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi ,snd_seq
> snd_pcm 89864 5
> snd_via82xx,snd_via82xx_modem,snd_ac97_codec,snd_p cm_oss snd_timer
> 28552 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
> snd_page_alloc 15248 3 snd_via82xx,snd_via82xx_modem,snd_pcm
> snd 65640 17
> snd_via82xx,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmid i,snd_via82xx_modem,snd_a
>c97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_seq,snd_s eq_device,snd_pcm,snd_timer
> soundcore 13216 1 snd
> mlaks@Rashi:~$ cat /proc/asound/cards
> 0 [V8237 ]: VIA8237 - VIA 8237
> VIA 8237 with ALC850 at 0xe800, irq 22
> mlaks@Rashi:~$ cat /dev/sndstat
> Sound Driver:3.8.1a-980706 (ALSA v1.0.14 emulation code)
> Kernel: Linux Rashi 2.6.23-1-amd64 #1 SMP Fri Dec 21 12:00:17 UTC 2007
> x86_64 Config options: 0
>
> Installed drivers:
> Type 10: ALSA emulation
>
> Card config:
> VIA 8237 with ALC850 at 0xe800, irq 22
>
> Audio devices:
> 0: VIA 8237 (DUPLEX)
>
> Synth devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG
>
> Midi devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG
>
> Timers:
> 7: system timer
>
> Mixers:
> 0: Realtek ALC850 rev 0
> mlaks@Rashi:~$ cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound
> alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx
> options snd-via82xx index=0
> mlaks@Rashi:~$
> mlaks@Rashi:~$ cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound
> alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx
> options snd-via82xx index=0
> mlaks@Rashi:~$ dmesg|grep snd
> mlaks@Rashi:~$ dmesg|less
>

> *****************
>
> Then I run alsaconf, which recreates the modules and then it run.
>
> When I set up alsaconf
> I also run
> alsactl store
>
> but that does not seem to help on the next reboot..
> Sometimes, I think I lose the sound even without the reboot, but I will
> check that again... It may simply be the reboot, but may actually even lose

Hi Mitchell. I'm half guessing here, but there are some snd modules that are
notorious for grabbing card0. Modem ones stand out, along with snd-bt87x.

I see that along with your snd-via82xx, the snd-via82xx_modem is loaded, and
that may be what is causing the problem. Your /etc/modprobe.d/sound is
showing snd-via82xx set up correctly, but if the modem module is in fact
grabbing card0, snd-via82xx would still be loaded as well, but as the modem
module has already grabbed first place (card0), the actual soundcard module
would not be able to also use the card0 position, as setup
in /etc/modprobe.d/sound.

The fact that cat /proc/asound/cards shows what appears to be the actual
soundcard, this may be in fact the modem module.

I havn't got any Debian install booted up at the mo, but you could blacklist
the snd-via82xx_modem module in /etc/modules.d/blacklist, or try adding the
following line to /etc/modprobe.d/sound.
install snd-via82xx_modem /bin/true

The above line will cause the module to be ignored.

Alternatively, add an options line to /etc/modprobe.d/sound, as below.

options snd-via82xx_modem index=2

I don't think you have to also put an alias line, as it appears that, that
line already exists somewhere.

Just a few pointers.

All the best.

Nigel.

Old 02-03-2008, 06:31 PM
"Nuno Magalh„es"

I'm having the same problem.
My soundcard is an nVidia onboard an Asus M2NPV-VM.

Here's the same output:

lspci -nn |egrep -i 's(ou)?nd|audio|media'
00:10.1 Audio device [0403]: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition
Audio [10de:026c] (rev a2)
__________________

lsmod | grep snd
snd_hda_intel 23708 0
snd_hda_codec 184192 1 snd_hda_intel
snd_pcm_oss 48672 0
snd_mixer_oss 21888 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm 89096 3 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer 29192 1 snd_pcm
snd 65256 6
snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_ oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore 15392 1 snd
snd_page_alloc 14864 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
__________________

cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [NVidia ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
HDA NVidia at 0xfe024000 irq 5
__________________

cat /dev/sndstat
Sound Driver:3.8.1a-980706 (ALSA v1.0.12rc1 emulation code)
Kernel: Linux deb64 2.6.18-5-amd64 #1 SMP Thu May 31 23:51:05 UTC 2007 x86_64
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:
Type 10: ALSA emulation

Card config:
HDA NVidia at 0xfe024000 irq 5

Audio devices:
0: AD198x Analog (DUPLEX)

Synth devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Midi devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Timers:
7: system timer

Mixers:
0: Analog Devices AD1986A
__________________

cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
options snd-hda-intel index=0
__________________

This is the motherboard that high-pitch left channel bug. alsaconf
shows two sound devices, i always go for the first. I don't usually
reboot, but when i do, there goes the sound. I have no modem though (i
use an ethernet router through dhcp) so that card0 probably doesn't
apply to me.

I'm not using KDE, but GNOME leftovers and Xfce, i'll try killing the session.

I've also had trouble setting up the mic, apparently all the devices i
chose are not working. Is there a default one? I wanna use VoIP stuff.

Nuno

--
Fica bem, porta-te mal.
Be well, misbehave.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:21 PM
Nigel Henry

On Sunday 03 February 2008 20:06, Mitchell Laks wrote:
> On 17:34 Sun 03 Feb , Nigel Henry wrote:
> > Hi Mitchell. I'm half guessing here, but there are some snd modules that
> > are notorious for grabbing card0. Modem ones stand out, along with
> > snd-bt87x.
> >
> > I see that along with your snd-via82xx, the snd-via82xx_modem is loaded,
> > and that may be what is causing the problem. Your /etc/modprobe.d/sound
> > is showing snd-via82xx set up correctly, but if the modem module is in
> > fact grabbing card0, snd-via82xx would still be loaded as well, but as
> > the modem module has already grabbed first place (card0), the actual
> > soundcard module would not be able to also use the card0 position, as
> > setup
> > in /etc/modprobe.d/sound.
> >
> > The fact that cat /proc/asound/cards shows what appears to be the actual
> > soundcard, this may be in fact the modem module.
> >
> > I havn't got any Debian install booted up at the mo, but you could
> > blacklist the snd-via82xx_modem module in /etc/modules.d/blacklist, or
> > try adding the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/sound.
> > install snd-via82xx_modem /bin/true
> >
> > The above line will cause the module to be ignored.
> >
> > Alternatively, add an options line to /etc/modprobe.d/sound, as below.
> >
> > options snd-via82xx_modem index=2
> >
> > I don't think you have to also put an alias line, as it appears that,
> > that line already exists somewhere.
> >
> > Just a few pointers.
> >
> > All the best.
> >
> > Nigel.
>
> Thank you Nigel for the information:
>
> I disabled the modem driver (didnt even notice that I have any modem )
> by uncommenting the line
> in
> /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base-blacklist
> ie:
> # Uncomment these entries in order to blacklist unwanted modem drivers
> # blacklist snd-atiixp-modem
> # blacklist snd-intel8x0m
> blacklist snd-via82xx-modem
>
> now I dont have the modem driver loaded in lsmod

> However, I still dont have sound when I reboot.
>
> IN fact I notice that I dont even have sound if I do:
>
> alsaconf
> (gets me sound)
> speaker-test
> alsactl store
>
> then even if I simply kill kde, and then startx again - still no sound!
> So I dont even have to reboot, simply ending kde kills sound
> and then i need to reinstall via alsaconf.
> very upsetting!
>
> Any ideas???
> Thanks
> Mitchell Laks

Hi Mitchell. I too use KDE, and have had problems with Kmix messing with mixer
settings on some distros.

Does KDE, when you login give you any message saying sound is not available?

I have Sarge. Etch, and Lenny available. Sid is a bit too near the edge for
me. Do you have the same sound problem booting from other kernels that you
have installed?

Looking back at mixer settings when you bootup. Alsactl restore should run
when you bootup, which will restore the mixer settings that alsactl store did
when you last shutdown. A problem I have had in the past is that Kmix will
alter these settings. To explain a bit more. Alsactl restore runs when you
bootup, and alsamixer's settings are as you left them when you shutdown. Now
you login to KDE, and Kmix enters the equation. Depending on the default
settings in Kmix, Kmix will change the alsamixer settings when you login to
KDE, and depending on the default settings in Kmix, you may have no sound
output.

I thought this problem had been resolved, but it's worth opening alsamixer on
the CLI (Konsole) when you are booted up, and logged into KDE. Have a good
look at all the controls that are there for your card. My alsamixer controls
are useless to you (audigy2 soundblaster (emu10k1)). Mixer controls are
soundcard specific.

Also have a look at Kmix's "Settings"/ "Configure-Kmix". The "Restore volumes
on login" box is the one that used to create problems. Make sure that it's
unchecked.

Which laptop/pc are you using?

Lots of patience, and one thing at a time. Hopefully the problem will be
resolved sooner, rather than later.

All the best.

Nigel.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:15 AM
Chris Lale

Mitchell Laks wrote:
[...]
> a) My problem was _not_ that some individual applications did not work.
> My problem was "total loss of sound". For instance, KDE did not make
> its 'KDE' sound when it started up after I hit startx. I had to run
> alsaconf to get sound started again. /etc/init.d/alsa stop then start
> as root did not help...
>
> b) It seems to have been a Kmix setting problem. As soon as I went into
> the kmix setting as pointed out by the other respondent, and unchecked
> 'Restore volumes on login' which is some kind of kmix bug, (whatever it means
> ) I now have full sound (insofar as I checked...).
>
> c) I ended up deleting arts (and with it went kde-core). No effect so far.
>
> I don't know about your reported bug and I don't think your issues
> have hit me, for example I just tried xmms and it works fine on my system.
> Thank you for responding though...

Thanks for your reply, Mitchell.

The issue did sound similar to mine - total loss of sound in a new session until
alsaconf was re-run. As I recall, alsa was defaulting to unused built-in sound,
but the speakers were plugged into the PCI card and I had previously configured
the PCI card as default. I am not running KDE though, and it sounds like you
problem might lie there. Apparently alsaconf may have problems prior to
alsa-utils 1.0.14-2 [1]. I think I'll upgrade to Lenny soon (alsa-utils 1.0.15-1).

Glad you got it fixed.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2007/09/msg01370.html

--
Chris.