Old 02-03-2008, 03:07 PM
David Baron

Default debian-user-digest Digest V2008 #256

On Sunday 03 February 2008, debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org wrote:
> > HPLIP has several tabs, one labelled Tools, where cartridge cleaning,
> > alignment and colour calibration can be performed.
> >
> > If you have a multi-function device (print, scan and fax machine)
> > they're supported by HPLIP, too. *There used to be an HPLIP mailing
> > list, but they've recently moved to a web forum for support. *It has
> > several HP staff there, as it's the official HP support (for Linux)
> > forum.

> OK, I installed hpijs + hplip, with the whole cups, ahavi and dbus
> stuff (this is the part I didn't want), but hey, I wanted hp tools,
>
> .
>
> Bad news is that hp-info, hp-setup, and hp-toolset don't want to
> recognize my HP-680C printer. *So I'm like before. *Weird thing is
> that through the cups web interface, I can setup the printer with no
> problem under /dev/lp0. *With hp-setup I can get to manually set the
> printer, but not to /dev/lp0 as with cups, but to /dev/parport0, and
> at the end it indicates it didn't recognize the device. *So pretty
> much this HP toolset doesn't seem to recognize my printer, .
>
> Has any one experienced these problems for hp-680c? *If cups
> recognized the printer smoothly, why not the HP toolset? *In the cups
> web interface I didn't find any way to run the HP applications, but I
> feel like asking any ways, , is there a way to run those
> applications from the cups web interface, which recognized the printer
> with no problem?

I did not know I had these utilities and was eager to try them out.
I have the same problem with my hp-690c--it is correctly set up with the
footmatic/hpjis (recommended) driver. The hp-toolbox finds "no supported
device". If I go to its setup and select the printer, it asks me for a
driver. If I am lucky enough to find this driver and select is, then it wants
to restart the queue, need to restart cupsys, not the end of the world. After
going through all of this, it fails. Once again, "No device found or
unsupported device".

Maybe let's file a bug on this package.