Old 02-03-2008, 03:21 PM
Ron Johnson

Default Tbird kb shortcuts (was GTK+ E-mail App on par with Mutt?)

Old 02-03-2008, 03:24 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 03/02/2008, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> Last month I tried KMail/KDE for a couple of weeks, because of how
> the GNOME people have their heads stuck up MSFT's ass.

You haven't seen KDE4 (vista clone) yet. Sad, sad times we are in.

> But couldn't stand it. The keyboard shortcuts wouldn't do what I
> want them to do (even after considerable customization).

What did you want them to do? Kmail, and KDE in general, is very customizable.

> So I went back to Icedove & GNOME.

Icedove & Gnome? Is that a new Norwegian metal band?

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 02-03-2008, 03:44 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 02-03-2008, 04:40 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"

Ron Johnson wrote:

"the GNOME people have their heads stuck up MSFT's ass." Say what? What did I miss? What do you mean Ron? BTW try XFCE4. I like it.

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com

Old 02-03-2008, 04:42 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"

Ron Johnson wrote:

Last month I tried KMail/KDE for a couple of weeks, because of how
the GNOME people have their heads stuck up MSFT's ass.

You haven't seen KDE4 (vista clone) yet. Sad, sad times we are in.

I must use XP at work. The fist thing I did when getting my PC was
to make it look like Win2K.

My GNOME system looks disturbingly like Win2K also...

But couldn't stand it. The keyboard shortcuts wouldn't do what I
want them to do (even after considerable customization).

What did you want them to do? Kmail, and KDE in general, is very customizable.

I like a GUI MUA to be in a vertically adjacent 2-pane
configuration, with the actual email that I'm reading in it's own
window.

When the email window is active, Tbird lets me press "n", and that
brings the next un-read message into that same window. When all the
emails in a folder are read, "n" prompts me to go to the next folder
with un-read mail.

And that "n" button to go to the next unread email is why I hate
evolution AND outlook. I have yet to find a simple way to read the next
UNREAD email in either. I use Thunderbird when ever possible. Used to
use Kmail, can't remember why I stopped using it.

But KMail made me close the email window in order to press "n" to
get to the next unread email. Maybe most KMail users/developers
just like 3-pane operation.

So I went back to Icedove & GNOME.

Icedove & Gnome? Is that a new Norwegian metal band?

Swedish retro pop, covering /Capitan & Tenile/ tunes.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com

Old 02-03-2008, 04:55 PM
Paul Cartwright

On Sun February 3 2008, Ron Johnson wrote:
> But KMail made me close the email window in order to press "n" to
> get to the next unread email. *Maybe most KMail users/developers
> just like 3-pane operation.

"n" is next message, "+" is next unread message. I use "+" to scroll through
all the unread messages in all of my folders.

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

Old 02-03-2008, 05:05 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 02-03-2008, 05:09 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 02-03-2008, 05:27 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 02-03-2008, 07:05 PM
Paul Cartwright

On Sun February 3 2008, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > "n" is next message, "+" is next unread message. I use "+" to scroll
> > through all the unread messages in all of my folders.
>
> I never got that to work when the email message was in it's own window.

I don't view them in their own window. You do that by hitting ENTER when in
preview mode, correct? In its own window, it loses the "GO" menu selection
that has the go to next... is that a bug or a feature?