Old 02-03-2008, 02:05 PM
Michael Pobega

Default GTK+ E-mail App on par with Mutt?

I'm finally taking the plunge from full CLI to using an X server, and in
place of Mutt I've been using Evolution; But Evolution is nowhere near
as good as Mutt, with threading/speed/customizability (And to boot I
can't even use GViM as my editor!).

Can anyone suggest a good GTK+ e-mail reader/writer? I have cron getting
my e-mail so the client doesn't even need to have POP/IMAP.

--
If programmers deserve to be rewarded for creating innovative
programs, by the same token they deserve to be punished if they

Old 02-03-2008, 02:20 PM
Andreas Rönnquist

On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 10:05:43 -0500
Michael Pobega <pobega@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm finally taking the plunge from full CLI to using an X server, and in
> place of Mutt I've been using Evolution; But Evolution is nowhere near
> as good as Mutt, with threading/speed/customizability (And to boot I
> can't even use GViM as my editor!).
>
> Can anyone suggest a good GTK+ e-mail reader/writer? I have cron getting
> my e-mail so the client doesn't even need to have POP/IMAP.

You could give Sylpheed a try.
http://sylpheed.sraoss.jp/en/

I _think_ it could suit your needs, it does at least support external editors, is light, and is GTK+.
It does lack HTML rendering of messages, but since you were a Mutt user, I would guess it doesn't bother you much.

/Andreas

Old 02-03-2008, 02:34 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 02-03-2008, 02:38 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 03/02/2008, Michael Pobega <pobega@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm finally taking the plunge from full CLI to using an X server, and in
> place of Mutt I've been using Evolution; But Evolution is nowhere near
> as good as Mutt, with threading/speed/customizability (And to boot I
> can't even use GViM as my editor!).
>
> Can anyone suggest a good GTK+ e-mail reader/writer? I have cron getting
> my e-mail so the client doesn't even need to have POP/IMAP.

I recently switched from Kmail to Thunderbird, and I would recommend
either of them. Kmail seems to thread better, but Tbird is not bad
either. Tbird is very customizable with extensions. The only problem
with either is speed:

1) Kmail's built in spam filter (bogofilter) is _s_l_o_w_
2) Thunderbird has a 1/10 second delay when switching messages.

Also, Tbird's default keyboard shortcuts are a pain in the ass. You
cannot browse messages and scroll messages with the arrow keys only.
The only extension that solves it (Nostalgy) doesn't do it very much
better: you must hold CTRL while arrowing keying to scroll.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-×*-ס-×¢-×£-פ-×¥-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 02-03-2008, 02:39 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 03/02/2008, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Can anyone suggest a good GTK+ e-mail reader/writer? I have cron getting
> > my e-mail so the client doesn't even need to have POP/IMAP.
>
> I recently switched from Kmail to Thunderbird, and I would recommend
> either of them.

I forgot to mention, Kmail is Qt, not GTK+.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-×*-ס-×¢-×£-פ-×¥-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 02-03-2008, 03:26 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 03/02/2008, Andreas Rönnquist <andreas.ronnquist@meritkonsult.se> wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 10:05:43 -0500
> Michael Pobega <pobega@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm finally taking the plunge from full CLI to using an X server, and in
> > place of Mutt I've been using Evolution; But Evolution is nowhere near
> > as good as Mutt, with threading/speed/customizability (And to boot I
> > can't even use GViM as my editor!).
> >
> > Can anyone suggest a good GTK+ e-mail reader/writer? I have cron getting
> > my e-mail so the client doesn't even need to have POP/IMAP.
> >

> You could give Sylpheed a try.
> http://sylpheed.sraoss.jp/en/
>
> I _think_ it could suit your needs, it does at least support external editors, is light, and is GTK+.
> It does lack HTML rendering of messages, but since you were a Mutt user, I would guess it doesn't bother you much.

Or Penelope, the Endura-on-Thunderbird implementation.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-×*-ס-×¢-×£-פ-×¥-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 02-03-2008, 03:46 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 02-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Александър Л. Димитров

Quoth Michael Pobega:
> I'm finally taking the plunge from full CLI to using an X server, and in
> place of Mutt I've been using Evolution; But Evolution is nowhere near
> as good as Mutt, with threading/speed/customizability (And to boot I
> can't even use GViM as my editor!).

I'd suggest you just go on using mutt. When I recently switched back to Debian I
had a short GNOME-revival because it got installed by default. But... what can I
say, it sucked a lot, I missed a *lot* of the functionality I'm used to and had
to roll back to using XMonad and consoles. Still using mutt, even on X. Mutt is
just the best client out there, you won't find anything comparable - except
maybe Sylpheed Claws. It's not as customizable, but good nevertheless and quite
speedy for a GTK app. (And it lets you use vim).

Aleks

BTW: is there any X-toolkit to implement vi-keybindings/modes in any of its
input widgets? Would love to see something like this.

Old 02-03-2008, 04:08 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 10:05:43AM -0500, Michael Pobega wrote:
> I'm finally taking the plunge from full CLI to using an X server, and in
> place of Mutt I've been using Evolution; But Evolution is nowhere near
> as good as Mutt, with threading/speed/customizability (And to boot I
> can't even use GViM as my editor!).
>
> Can anyone suggest a good GTK+ e-mail reader/writer? I have cron getting
> my e-mail so the client doesn't even need to have POP/IMAP.

Mutt in a gnome-terminal? (At least you can then pretend that its GTK).

Doug.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:53 PM
lostson

On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 12:08:06 -0500
"Douglas A. Tutty" <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 10:05:43AM -0500, Michael Pobega wrote:
> > I'm finally taking the plunge from full CLI to using an X server, and in
> > place of Mutt I've been using Evolution; But Evolution is nowhere near
> > as good as Mutt, with threading/speed/customizability (And to boot I
> > can't even use GViM as my editor!).
> >
> > Can anyone suggest a good GTK+ e-mail reader/writer? I have cron getting
> > my e-mail so the client doesn't even need to have POP/IMAP.
> >

> Mutt in a gnome-terminal? (At least you can then pretend that its GTK).
>

> Doug.

I personally use sylpheed.

--
lostson