-   -   dialup modemspeed change (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/46052-dialup-modemspeed-change.html)

Hugo Vanwoerkom 02-03-2008 01:57 PM

dialup modemspeed change

Hi,

I've changed the physical location of the Sid box and the telephone
number that is being used to dial the ISP.

Everything else is the same.

Now the connection is at a lower speed than before: average 3000 B/s
while before it was 4500 B/s.

The sound of V92 dialup modem on connecting has changed: it used connect
right away, now it makes more additional sounds.

Is this due to the quality of the phoneline?

Anybody savvy on dialup lines?

Hugo

Ron Johnson 02-03-2008 02:29 PM

dialup modemspeed change

Hugo Vanwoerkom 02-03-2008 02:56 PM

dialup modemspeed change

Ron Johnson wrote:

I've changed the physical location of the Sid box and the telephone
number that is being used to dial the ISP.

Everything else is the same.

Now the connection is at a lower speed than before: average 3000 B/s
while before it was 4500 B/s.

The sound of V92 dialup modem on connecting has changed: it used connect
right away, now it makes more additional sounds.

Is this due to the quality of the phoneline?

Yes. Anywhere from the CO to the inside wiring of the building your
box is in.

Anybody savvy on dialup lines?

I used to be... :

Thanks Ron. I don't think I am going to get anywhere with Telmex: it is
a new installation, so they either messed up the installation or the
problem is in their circuits in the city, more likely.

Hugo

"Douglas A. Tutty" 02-03-2008 04:07 PM

dialup modemspeed change

On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 09:29:53AM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 02/03/08 08:57, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> >
> > I've changed the physical location of the Sid box and the telephone
> > number that is being used to dial the ISP.
> >
> > Everything else is the same.
> >
> > Now the connection is at a lower speed than before: average 3000 B/s
> > while before it was 4500 B/s.
> >
> > The sound of V92 dialup modem on connecting has changed: it used connect
> > right away, now it makes more additional sounds.
> >
> > Is this due to the quality of the phoneline?
>
> Yes. Anywhere from the CO to the inside wiring of the building your
> box is in.
>
> > Anybody savvy on dialup lines?

You're probably too far away from the telco's D/A converter to get 56K.
Welcome to dialup-for-the-rest-of-us.

It also can depend on the quality of your modem. Some modems are more
resistant/tolerant of noise on the line than others. I use a 3Com (USR)
Courier (NOT sportster). These V-Everything modems (external serial)
are supposed to be the best in the world. New, they cost hundreds of
dollars. I purchased mine off eBay for $50 (+ S/H).

Doug.

"owens@peak.org" 02-03-2008 07:22 PM

dialup modemspeed change

I've changed the physical location of the Sid box and the telephone
number that is being used to dial the ISP.

Everything else is the same.

Now the connection is at a lower speed than before: average 3000 B/s
while before it was 4500 B/s.

The sound of V92 dialup modem on connecting has changed: it used connect
right away, now it makes more additional sounds.

Is this due to the quality of the phoneline?

Anybody savvy on dialup lines?

Hugo

>Dialup modems are designed to operate at any one of multiple speeds
depending on the "quality" of the local loop connection. As part of the
dialup protocol the modem at your location and the one at your ISP
interrogate the connection by sending bits at first the highest speed the
modem supports and then in turn each "fallback" (lower supported speed).
When the two have found the highest speed that connection supports, that
speed is used for the duration of the call. Since the physical connection
between you and your ISP can vary with each call depending on the specific
TELCO routing, the process repeats with each new connection. The delay in
your case is most likely due to the search for the now-supported lower
speed.
Larry

mail2web.com ? Enhanced email for the mobile individual based on Microsoft®

Hugo Vanwoerkom 02-04-2008 07:07 PM

dialup modemspeed change

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 09:29:53AM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:

On 02/03/08 08:57, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

I've changed the physical location of the Sid box and the telephone
number that is being used to dial the ISP.

Everything else is the same.

Now the connection is at a lower speed than before: average 3000 B/s
while before it was 4500 B/s.

The sound of V92 dialup modem on connecting has changed: it used connect
right away, now it makes more additional sounds.

Is this due to the quality of the phoneline?

Yes. Anywhere from the CO to the inside wiring of the building your
box is in.

Anybody savvy on dialup lines?

You're probably too far away from the telco's D/A converter to get 56K.
Welcome to dialup-for-the-rest-of-us.

But before the move I got 56K and was 5km from the center of town. After
the move I don't get 56K and am 10 blocks from the center of town. But
who knows where the D/A converter is.

It also can depend on the quality of your modem. Some modems are more
resistant/tolerant of noise on the line than others. I use a 3Com (USR)
Courier (NOT sportster). These V-Everything modems (external serial)
are supposed to be the best in the world. New, they cost hundreds of
dollars. I purchased mine off eBay for $50 (+ S/H).

Nowhere near that:
Amigo AME-CA95 56Kbps RS-232 $21.99
but it's all I've got and they don't sell external serial modems around
here.

Hugo

Hugo Vanwoerkom 02-05-2008 10:44 AM

dialup modemspeed change

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

[...]

I see this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825104135
for $80.99
and
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825104004
for $239.99
indeed much more than what I paid. But I did not foresee the future...
Hugo

Hugo Vanwoerkom 02-05-2008 10:14 PM

dialup modemspeed change

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

Hi,

I've changed the physical location of the Sid box and the telephone
number that is being used to dial the ISP.

Everything else is the same.

Now the connection is at a lower speed than before: average 3000 B/s
while before it was 4500 B/s.

The sound of V92 dialup modem on connecting has changed: it used connect
right away, now it makes more additional sounds.

Is this due to the quality of the phoneline?

Anybody savvy on dialup lines?

Want to thank everybody for answering this, and the problem was noise on
the line and it has been fixed by Telmex *in one day*! What?! Telmex
responding to a problem in one day and fixing it? Yessir!

Hugo

"Paul Johnson" 02-05-2008 10:38 PM

dialup modemspeed change

On Feb 5, 2008 3:14 PM, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:

> Want to thank everybody for answering this, and the problem was noise on
> the line and it has been fixed by Telmex *in one day*! What?! Telmex
> responding to a problem in one day and fixing it? Yessir!

That puts 'em lightyears ahead of Qwest here in the states. This is
day 390 waiting for Qwest to fix my phone line so I can get a dialtone
at all, and receive phone calls while it's raining outside. It rains
a lot here. 11 months of disputed phone bills I don't have to pay so
far...I'll probably be moving out of town before they get around to
doing their job.

I'm going to guess that Telmex is a state-owned utility and not a
private monopoly? That would explain the better service right
there...

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca

Michelle Konzack 02-07-2008 10:33 PM

dialup modemspeed change

Am 2008-02-03 08:57:55, schrieb Hugo Vanwoerkom:
> Hi,
>

> I've changed the physical location of the Sid box and the telephone
> number that is being used to dial the ISP.
>
> Everything else is the same.
>
> Now the connection is at a lower speed than before: average 3000 B/s
> while before it was 4500 B/s.

3 kBit/s sound like a V.34+ on the ISP side while
4.5 kBit/s is in the range of a V.90/V.92...

And yes, some ISP's are using realy old V.34+ Modem Pools...

> The sound of V92 dialup modem on connecting has changed: it used connect
> right away, now it makes more additional sounds.

Because it use only V34+ (33.600 BpS) or maybe only V.34 (28.800 BpS)

> Is this due to the quality of the phoneline?

Maybe... Ask your ISP but you should know, that if you are using
V.90/V.92 you are connecting to an ISDN System on the ISP side and
your end (not you, but the Telephone company) must support it to.

> Anybody savvy on dialup lines?
>
> Hugo

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
Michelle Konzack
Systemadministrator
Tamay Dogan Network
Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

Michelle Konzack Apt. 917 ICQ #328449886
50, rue de Soultz MSN LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193 67100 Strasbourg/France IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)